New Visitor
StarKissed
Accepted Solution

Self-Install Kit?

What exactly comes in my "Self-Install Kit?"  I have existing Internet and through a salesman at my door last Friday, added a special Comcast TV service. Do they supply you with all the things you need to self-install, or do they expect that you'll go out and purchase the other items?  

He left me with the Cable box for the TV and told me to call him if I needed anything else because he didn't have anything else with him.  I had thought I may have some old cable in the basement from years ago but I didn't.

I called him to let him know I needed cable wire, a spitter, and end connectors to put over the wires after I cut them.

Four days later he dropped off the cable wire and one 2-way splitter, but says I don't need the end connectors, and that I didn't want to mess with those anyway.  

I was confused, but after he left I'm realizing that he has to be wrong.  If I cut the main wire for one end to go to my internet, and attach the newer cable to go to my TV, those raw wires have to have a connector on their ends to screw them into the Splitter.  Isn't that right, or is there a way to do this without cutting the cable? 

I could go across town and purchase the end connectors, but I'm disabled and not sure when I will have the energy to do this.  If he would have told me I'd have to purchase additional items to install this, I probably would have told him no-thanks.  I just don't have the energy these days to do things that aren't absolutely necessary and this is one of them.  

In the meantime, I'm being billed for Cable TV that I don't have, and today makes a week from when I first signed up for it.

Anyone have any insight on this?   Thanks in advance.  

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: Self-Install Kit?

[ Edited ]

Self install kit's include a splitter, a short coax jumper and a long coax jumper.  

Your salesman handled it wrong and left you hanging.  A subscriber should never have to be concerned or be installing fittings on the end of any coax.  As long as the TV outlet in the room is live, you should just connect, call in to authorized the box and be done.

Unless you are skilled at putting on F connectors, leave it to a pre-done cable or a tech.  Many signal issues are caused be improper F connector installations.

New Visitor
StarKissed

Re: Self-Install Kit?

[ Edited ]

Thanks JayinAlg, that's pretty much what I figured I'd have to do, call them to come out, but was hoping there was a quicker solution I could do myself.  I don't have the tools and fittings to do this and it's not worth the hassle.  Although, in my younger days, I would have done it, and done it marvelously.  ;-)   

Now I can just quit worrying with it and forget about it till morning.  

THanks Much!