Visitor
gabrewer

Setting up DVD/VCR combo with new DVR box.

Hello all;

I'm new to the forum, and I see this issue has been touched on in several other posts.  However I'm still a bit uncertain as to how to proceed.  Here's my situation.  Our HD-DVR box arrived from Comcast a couple of days ago.  I was looking at the installation guide last night, and although it seems pretty simple for the DVR itself, I'm not sure how I now incorporate our combo DVD/VCR player.  With the present digital box, the player is connected between the box and the TV.  However, my impression is -- after reading some of the posts here -- is that is no longer a proper configuration, and I should connect the DVD/VCR player to our TV totally separate of the DVR box.  Is this correct?  If anyone can give me any further clarification, that would be great.  If it makes any difference, our TV is a Panasonic -- widesrceen and HD capable (which of course we now want enabled).  The DVD/VCR combo is a Magnavox.  Perhaps this sounds lame, but we do have some old VHS tapes that we still like to watch -- so I do still have need for a VCR.

Thanks for any and all feedback.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: Setting up DVD/VCR combo with new DVR box.

If you only want to use the DVD/VCR to watch, rather than record, then there is no reason to involve the DVR in the connection.

Visitor
gabrewer

Re: Setting up DVD/VCR combo with new DVR box.

Got it.  Was simply a matter of running the single coax cable from the back of the old DVD/VCR player to the TV and using "tv" as the input setting when wanting to watch a DVD or VHS tape.