Contributor
Dee_F

(Silver) Remote No Longer Works With My HD Cable Boxes Since 10/18/11

[ Edited ]
HELP PLEASE!  I am having major issues with my remote working with my HD cable boxes since Comcast did an area update on 10/18/11.  I spoke to 5 reps since Wednesday, 10/19 and they could offer no solution except to say that people in my town (North Branford) were having the exact same issues.  On the morning of 10/19, I noticed that all 3 of my cable boxes lost quite a few channels.  I immediately called Comcast that morning, and I was told that they were aware of the problems since the update the evening before.  A refresh signal was sent to all 3 boxes, and the channels did come back on.  Unfortunately, I was left with two HD boxes that were left with issues with their remotes no longer functioning.  When you press the Guide button it doesn't work - nothing happens. When you press the "On Demand" button, it doesn't work either, but when you press the "Info" button it takes you to a white screen and wants you to put in a Parental Control Pin, which I never used.  This issue is only on my two HD boxes.  My DVR box is working fine.  Since there are numerous calls for the same issue in my town, I was told by all the reps (I spoke to 5 since Wednesday morning) that it was due to the upgrade/system maintenance on 10/18.  My HD boxes have been re-booted by Comcast refresh and unplugging about 6-7 times over the last 3 days.  With the weekend coming, it would have been nice to have my On-Demand work so I could watch movies in our preferred rooms, but after talking with the last rep last night (who was very kind, they all were) I was told that they were working on a fix, but no one was able to fix the issue or even know how to assist me.   Any chance someone out there had this resolved or have a solution?????  5 (very nice) Comcast reps couldn't help me after all of my calls, and my cable bill is $220.00 per month. I really want to have my Demand and Guide back, and not see that darn "Parental Control" screen on my TV when I press the Info button on my remote.
Contributor
Dee_F

Remote No Longer Functions Properly With HD Box since 10/18

[ Edited ]

Did anyone who had this problem find a resolution?

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: Remote No Longer Functions Properly With HD Box since 10/18

If comcast is telling you that it is something on their end then this might not help you, but here is how to reset the remote back to factory default.

Try this, and then reassign your tv and receiver to the approprite buttons.

http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/HelpNFC.aspx?pri​nt=false&id=remotes

This reset will delete all macros and keymoves. It will not reset device codes.

1. Press and hold the "Setup" key until a device key blinks twice.
   2. Type in the code 980.
   3. If successful, a device key will blink FOUR times.

Factory Reset

This reset will delete all macros and keymoves and reset device codes to defaults.

1. Press and hold the "Setup" key until a device key blinks twice.
   2. Type in the code 981.
   3. If successful, a device key will blink FOUR times.

Contributor
Dee_F

[ Edited ]
Unfortunately, code 980 didn't fix this issue at all, and code 981 caused the remote not to work at all with my cable box. Now I have a remote that doesn't work...I spoke to Comcast yet again, and still no luck..the best they can offer is to have a tech come to my home on Sunday and I could mention the remote then...as I have Triple Play and every premium station I am getting quite irritated...I have so many Uverse mailers at my home with great prices for their triple play, I am seriously thinking of switching. At over $220.00 a month, it's too expensive to not to get what you paid for!
Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

[ Edited ]

do any of your neighbors have comcast and are experiencing the same issue?  Can you bring your remote there and vice versa to see if its just your house?  What box do you have?

Do you have other boxes in your home with the same remote you could try?  Take the batteries out over nigth and then put in a fresh set and see if that does anything. 

Did you reprogram your remote to your tv's codes?

Official Employee
ComcastKeisha

[ Edited ]

papalacios---

Sorry about the inconvenience you are having with your remote.
Lets try to re-program your remote and see if we can get this resolved before you trouble call on 10/23/2011 .
Being that I don't know the type of TV you have or your specific remote you can find the codes by going to www.comcast.com, type in remote control in the search menu or use the link in the above post follow those steps or give me your TV brand and your comcast remote info (What color is your OK button and what color is the Comcast logo on the bottom) to ensure accuracy and I will type in the steps for you to take.

Thank You
-Keisha-
Contributor
Dee_F

[ Edited ]
I heard from more than one Comcast tech that they received the same problem call from my town. My neighbors have Uverse. I did a remote reset, which was a mistake. The remote previously did change channels and the volume worked fine, it just will not give me access to the Guide, On Demand, and whenever I pressed the Info button, it takes me to the parental control screen. I tried all of the other remotes, and have only these problems when using them on my 2 HD set top boxes. The remotes work perfectly on my DVR .. During the last call to a tech, I was told that some of the boxes may need a firmware update or patch to access the updated Comcast upgrade...I have two identical HD boxes and both are Motorola's. Since all of the remotes work perfectly with my one DVR, then it's an HD box and remote issue. Now since following the instructions on resetting one of my remotes to factory setting, I can no longer get it to work with any cable box, even after taking out the batteries which are new, using the Comcast code and all of the codes provided for the Motorola's cable boxes. So, in addition to my original issue, I am now down one remote. I'm just tired of not having my cable working correctly on two out of three tvs. Yes, I can go to Comcast myself, but they are sending a tech to my home on Sunday, so I really can't do much until then. This only started after a Comcast system upgrade on Tuesday night. Everything started on Wednesday morning.
Contributor
Dee_F

Hi, I have a Comcast silver remote with a red select button...two identical HD Motorola cable boxes that have the same problem with the Guide, OnDemand, and the Info buttons not working, which is why I have a tech appointment...one of the tvs is an LG plasma HD tv..I just want my remote to change channels on my cable box again..I can use my tv remote for shutting off my tv if i need to... The Motorola's cable boxes are both DCT6200/2005 models
Silver Problem Solver
BruceW

Dee_F wrote: ... I have a Comcast silver remote with a red select button ... I just want my remote to change channels on my cable box again ... The Motorola's cable boxes are both DCT6200/2005 models

The remote that got killed by the factory reset probably needs a new Cable device code. You can find out what the code should be by reading if out from the remote that is partly working. To do that:

• Press Cable
  • Press and hold Setup until the Cable light blinks twice, then release Setup
  • Press 990 -- the Cable light blinks twice
  • Press 1 for the first code digit. Count the number of blinks (no blink = 0)
  • Press 2 for the second code digit, then 3, 4, and 5, counting the blinks for each digit.

If you miss one of the digits or want to double check the count, you'll need to repeat the procedure from the beginning (the code is probably 01376, 00476, 00810, 00276, 01187, or 01254).

Once you read out the code from the partly-working remote, you can enter it into the non-working remote:

• Press Cable
  • Press and hold Setup until the Cable light blinks twice, then release Setup
  • Enter the five digit code -- the Cable light blinks twice

The remote should control the cable box as it did before the factory reset.