New Visitor
CatMom01

Sleep Timer

We just recently were switched to XFinity. Prior to XFinity, we were able to program the cable box to turn itself off automatically after a preset time. We can't find this feature with XFinity...has it been removed?

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Re: Sleep Timer

If you have a Scientific Atlantic/Cisco box you may have been upgraded to the new onscreen guide. Sleep timer function has been removed from that. They should have sent notices of this, just got my notice today.

This link shows some of the features of the new onscreen guide

http://xfinity.comcast.net/meetyourguide/

New Visitor
CatMom01

Thank you so much...the guide was most helpful!

New Visitor
dirtworship

[ Edited ]

No sleep timer sucks. In what world is it so hard to have an electronic device turn itself off?

And why would they force us to keep drawing electricity (however little)?

If the remote control can be set to work as your TV remote, it should be able to both set your TV's sleep timer and a sleep timer for the set top box (Scientific Atlantic/Cisco).

Contributor
desktopdave

I'm somewhat surprised by this.  Why on earth would you NOT program a sleep timer?  Too complicated?  I mean, it's not an utter impossibility like ala carte programming or actually giving people the bandwidth they're paying for.

Hasn't just about every video device made in the last twenty years done this?  Who determined that it wasn't worth the time to add to the new software?

Per the helpful "Meet Your New Guide" page:

Most televisions are equipped with a sleep timer feature you can use to have your television turn off at a specific time. But you shouldn't consider using that feature.  We strongly believe that you should have Comcast on at all times of the day and night.

New Visitor
tubee223

You need to come up with a way to provide a sleep timer.  I am very disappointed that a feature that many used was just deleted.

Contributor
desktopdave

I have to admit that I've stopped watching Comcast entirely at night.  This has led me to consider cutting my plan back, since that was the only time I really watched anything at all.

Of course, the functionality is still there.  The box still has a switched power circuit for the TV.   So it seems to me that this issue will continue to be ignored.

We'll just have to find other ways around the problem.  :smileyhappy:

I'm sure there is no way to "opt-out" of the last upgrade; while I can decide the OS I'd like on my PC, Comcast will never allow any customer-choice on their devices.

So does anyone have a good CableCard-compatible device that can avoid this whole problem?  I know I'm the oddball demographic here, and I'd prefer to stay with Comcast's bundle, but this remains a significant issue for me.

Contributor

No sleep timer is just one of the many ways this "new" program guide is less functional and has fewer features than the previous. 

I thought that the new guide would, at least, allow me to manage my DVR via the XFinity portal or my smartphone app, but I still don't have that option available.

Prices go up, feature sets go down... it just doesn't make any sense to me.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

myDVR comes with a later version of this new guide. At present Comcast is setting all Cisco/Scientific Atlanta service areas; mine is one; with S25. To get myDVR and a few other features I guess we need something called S28. And since I am only a fellow customer I have no idea when they intend to start rolling that version out to areas.

Of course this is information I read elsewhere on the forums, nothing stated came directly from Comcast.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

sleep timer is not supported in any new version of the guide.  Just set your tv sleep timer.  If your box is set on it uses less than .038 wats per hour

Contributor
desktopdave

There is no way that box uses .038 watts.  I'm tempted to measure it, since you've mentioned it.  I'll report my findings.

Seems to me that I should invest in a new CableCard device & return this newly-defective set-top box.  You know that it can still turn an attached device on and off, right?  What's the trouble with enabling a timer that DOES THE SAME DARN THING?

New Visitor

The lack of a sleep timer is horrible!! I set my sleep timer every night, then last night I spent 20 minutes trying to figure out where it's located on the new menu. To my surprise it's not here anymore. I woke up this morning having to turn my cable box off. I am not happy about this and am wondering if there is someone I can write so i can complain. I'm sure it will fall on deaf ears as did all of my other issues with Comcast.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

yes for those who had sleep timer it is gone.   Why dont you just put your tv sleep timer on and leave your box on?

Contributor
desktopdave

Rog286713 - thanks for your reply, but I'm not interested in that solution.  I want the convenience of one remote, and I am paying for the privilege of having this particular set-top box.  The remote is programmable, but it cannot control the TV's timer.

It's not like I'm asking for a moon shot here.  Why can't it be re-added?  Did the new features take up so much space that they removed other code to make room?

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

desktopdave

There is no way that box uses .038 watts.  I'm tempted to measure it, since you've mentioned it.  I'll report my findings.

From what I read on the Comcast blogs on this that is the difference in power usage from the powered on state versus the powered off state.

http://blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-guide-for-scientific-atlanta-cable-boxes.html#thankscomment38838

It was about 3 days back or so. There was also a link to the Energy Star website with a PDF of the cable boxes used by all the major companies and power ratings. I also found that number surprising for power consumpation.

New Visitor
Mary_Customer

I just spent 25 minutes on the phone with Comcast Customer Service. The rep that I talked to did NOT know this feature was removed. We spent the entire time looking at the options that I have already looked on the "new and improved" Guide. Finally, I came to this Forum with her on the phone and saw the answer. I am disgusted. There is NO reason for that feature to have been removed, especially with NO notice to customers. The rep was very surprised and said that it was one of the most popular features used. I do set my TV's sleep timer, but the Comcast box percolates all night long and is disruptive. Plus, there is no reason to use that electricity, no matter how little.

I urge Comcast to reinstate this feature as soon as possible.

Contributor
desktopdave

[ Edited ]

From what I've seen (not measured), my SA Explorer 4250 uses less than 20watts.  That's whether it's on or off, every day, /24/7.  Even worse, it cannot be turned off.  The interactive guide reloads periodically (whether you're using it or not) and Comcast's security infrastructure requires that the box authenticates over the network.  This can take a while (from less than five minutes to more than fifteen) from what I've seen.

I know this is just about a sleep timer...and I don't want to go too far off-topic, but I can configure my smartphone pretty much any way I like.  It's Android...runs Linux.  Like my set-top box...runs Linux.  Why can't we customize them again?

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

This is that response on the Comcast Voices blog I mentioned. The PDF is very informative. And that wattage sounds like what most of the boxes are listed at.

Unfortunately,
the sleep timer functionality is one feature that is not supported in the new
guide. Many television sets support this feature independently.

We
are currently looking at the possibility to bring a sleep timer and wake timer
functionality to a future version of this guide; these are features that most
other video providers also do not currently offer.

As
you have discovered, you can certainly leave the cable box on and the TV off at
the end of your day. There is a power variance between the SA/Cisco box and
other set top boxes being on and off (most consumer electronic equipment is
never really all the way "off" unless it's physically unplugged.).
The variance I see between power on mode and sleep mode on a Cisco HD set top
is roughly 0.3 W

http://www.energystar.gov/ia/products/prod_lists/set_top_boxes_prod_list.pdf

At
9 cents per kwh that would equate to about 2 cents a month to leave the cable
box on 24 hours a day. Leaving the box on allows for your cable box to easily
get software and firmware updates as well as updated TV listings.

You
don't have to leave the DVR on to record. It will turn on and record if it is
turned off.

You
do need to leave the DVR on if there is a recording in progress.

The
previous on-screen guide software did allow you to turn the DVR box off (it
actually went into standby) when you were recording a program, the new guide
software does not. This is certainly a slight change in behavior and in line
with what the majority of our customers are used to and have in their home
today. You can certainly leave the cable box on and the TV off when recording
programs. If you leave your cable box off, it will turn on to record according
to what you have scheduled.

With
the new on-screen guide, when you attempt to turn off the cable box while a DVR
recording is in progress, an on-screen message appears that says the following:
"A recording is in progress. Turning off your cable box will stop all
recordings in progress."

There
are two options presented on-screen underneath this message.

1. Continue recording, leave cable box on

2. Stop recording, turn cable box off. You can chose one of those options.

If
no selection is chosen the on-screen message will time out and the DVR will
continue to record.

New Visitor
ZannC

we are not happy with the new onscreen guide -- especially because the one feature we used daily was the sleep timer and wake timer. it seems comcast isn't interested in bringing it back but I guess we'll just keep paying more for features and channels we don't want and sacrifice what we do want.

New Visitor

This is unacceptable, I only watch cable at night before bed. I dont like the glow, the small energy loss etc. I will be leaving Comcast if this isn't restored asap. I hate the new guide HD screen zoom options for SD channels as well. I will just use ota and 4g instead of this if not fixed.
New Visitor

OBVIOUSLY, XFINITY THINKS THEY'RE INDISPENSABLE. FIOS HAS A SLEEP FUNCTION. I'LL START USING IT NEXT MONTH.

Contributor
desktopdave

There's no way that the sleep timer will be restored.  Either it's too difficult to implement (hard to believe) or we're just too few to matter (much more likely).  This thread has been open for months and seems that it's even been marked as "solved."  I'm not sure what that means, other than this is totally being ignored by Comcast.

Anyone know a good OTA box that'll switch off a TV?

New Visitor

I pay a ridicuolous amount of money each month for cable, internet and phone.  I too watch TV at night before I go to bed and find it just silly that the software engineers could overlook such a simple function.  In addition, removal of PIP is infuriating.  What is my credit going to be each month until this is rectified?

Visitor

they also used to have the box turn on by itself for security reasons/like if you lived in a high crime neighborhood and wanted to leave for  few days then you could program both... can't do that now b/c the great cable gods we pay tribute to each month don't deem us as worthwhile enough to listen to.

maybe i should switch to fios... it is available in my neighborhood

Visitor

I really would like Comcast to provide a remote control with the sleep option it's a shame to have to pay so much and still not be satisfied.  

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

ipoe

The sleep function is controlled by the guide software and Comcast has not included the sleep function for the boxes in the new guide software. Getting a remote with a sleep button would do nothing for the cable box.

The only sleep function available to Comcast customers now is what may be built into the tv you own.

It doesn't sound like that function will be returned anytime soon.

New Visitor
BobW9999

My issue is the grandson's TV, he stays up later and every morning the tv is still on while he is sleeping.  I found the cable box timer a convenient way to shut down after midnight, hopefully giving him a good nights sleep.

The point is we had a useful feature and they took it away.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Does his tv have a sleep function? If so that can be set to shut off the tv. I use the sleep timer on my tv at times myself when I start watching a program later at night.

New Visitor
BobW9999

This is not about aksing for suggestions, it is a battle of technical wits with a 13 year old.  He disabled the mechanical timer I put on to shut power off to the tv.  Of course the tv has a sleep timer, which he disables with the remote after I leave the room.

At least when comcast had the function in the software on the box, I won the battle as he did not know my pin code.

It appears the function is gone, so end of discussion.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Sorry, wasn't aware of the full situation.

Thought it might have been a younger child.

New Visitor
beachgirl001

It's all well and good to set the sleep timer on the television itself but not being able to do the same for the cable box leaves it on all night
long and its extremely bright and lights up my entire bedroom and I like it very
dark in my room. This is ridiculous. As much as we get charged you'd think
they could do something as simple as add a sleep timer. What are we paying all this money for after all?