Contributor
Lilyluver

Switching from TV to DVD Player

I am computer challenged for the most part so I want to start there.  I have a Samsung TV with a cable box (no DVR) but we do have a DVD player.  How do I switch from the TV to be able to watch a DVD?  Thanks.

Bronze Problem Solver
barbie123

Re: Switching from TV to DVD Player

The cable box and the DVD should be using different inputs on the TV. You would use the TV remote to cycle between the inputs you plugged each device into.

Contributor
Lilyluver

Yes I realize I have to change 'sources'.  And the TV and the cable box are plugged into each other.  Does it need to be plugged into the cable box as well?  I have changed the source before but since we do it so rarely I've forgotte how.  Sorry to ask such a dumb question.

Bronze Problem Solver
barbie123

Yoy may need to describe the cablebox and the TV. 

Basically the cablebox connects to the TV, and the DVD player also connects to the TV using a different input. The DVD does not connect to the cablebox. 

You have to tell us which inputs, and what kind of input, you connected each device into.

Choices might be: HDMI(1 WIRE), COMPONENT(5 WIRES), COMPOSIT(3 WIRES) or COAX( 1 SCREW ON FAT WIRE)

Use your TV's remote to cycle between inputs. There should be an input button on the remote.

Contributor
Lilyluver

The DVD player is connected to the TV with an HDMI cable - one cable.  I tried the input button on the remote but nothing happens.

Bronze Problem Solver
barbie123

First, have a DVD playing. Did you the HDMI input that the DVD is plugged into? Are there more than 1 HDMI?

Contributor
Lilyluver

Yes there are 3 HDMI slots.  One is hooked to the TV and the other is hooked to the DVD.  I now have a DVD playing and the window on the DVD player says ? Menu.  I really appreciate the help.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

you should see the dvd menu on the tv, you need to use the tvs remote and press the input or source button until you see the dvr screen.

Contributor
Lilyluver

Ah.  I got the TV remote and found the input button and got that to work but now the DVD player (I want to watch a CD of pictures that I made on vacation) only goes from one image to one other and then back again. 

Contributor
Lilyluver

Well, somehow it started going forward.  I don't know what we did to make it do that.