Regular Contributor
truerock2
Accepted Solution

THIS CHANNEL SHOULD BE AVAILABLE SHORTLY

My wife's program is not recording on channel 640 (Lifetime) in Houston Texas.  When she goes to channel 640 to check to see the status of the recording, she get a blue box that says:  THIS CHANNEL SHOULD BE AVAILABLE SHORTLY

Does anyone know what is causing this?

We have a SA8300HD DVR which we have had for about 5 years.  It's been acting weird since the new software for it was rolled out.

I guess I'll power-boot the DVR - but, that isn't going to make my wife happy.

Thanks...

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: THIS CHANNEL SHOULD BE AVAILABLE SHORTLY

This could be caused by a weak signal, which can affect only certain channels. Check the connections to the cable box, especially the incoming coax, and eliminate any unnecessary splitters.

You may be able to improve the signal strength by adding a signal amplifier to the incoming cable line.

It also may be a weak signal caused by problems outside your house, in which case a call to 1-800-COMCAST to have them send out a tech to check on it may be of benefit.

Regular Contributor
truerock2

[ Edited ]

Now the SA8300HD DVR has stopped recording Breaking Bad after recording the 1st 33 minutes.  It did the same thing last Sunday evening.  I'd like to run diagnostics and check the signal.  I used to do that by holding the "Select" button down until the mail icon started flashing... then I would push the "Info" button.  That doesn't work with the new software.

How do you start diagnostics on the SA8300HD with the new software?

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

The way it works for the Motorola boxes with the iGuide software is to turn off the box with the remote and push the "OK/Select" button within 2 seconds, but I have no access to SA equipment to try it.

Regular Contributor
truerock2

WarEagle57,

Thanks for the tip.  Actually, for me it was the "Help" button that turned on the diagnostic screens.

Channel 640 (Lifetime) is coming in at -1 dBmV with a S/N of 39.  So, she should be happy - now (if she ever gets over missing her show last night).

Thanks for the help.

New Visitor

This solved my problem.  The lines in my house are so long, that I had a signal amplifier installed.  Without that the signal didn't reach across my house.  (In this case, the cleaning lady had unplugged the amplifier - as soon as I plugged it back in, the channels came on).