Contributor

TIME DRIFTING in South Florida when using MOXI HD DVR: The clock gets delayed one minute per week

[ Edited ]

I have a MOXI HD DVR and is experiencing TIME DRIFTING of up two minutes per week. For example. Even when it is 18:00, the box shows 17:58. This can be fixed resetting the box. However, I cannot be resetting the box every single day in order not to miss the first part of the episodes, nor changing the recording settings which completely affects my viewing experience. 

When I had the DVR from Comcast, the Scientific Atlanta, I never had this problem and it was because Comcast automatically reset the box around 2am on a daily basis. Now, with the MOXI DVR, Comcast cannot do this, since is not provided by them.

I called tech live and chat support and tell me that there is no way that they can escalate this to the Engineering department, that is why I came to this forums so hopefully someone from Comcast can see it. 

I already conctacted Moxi and they told me that the problems could be generated by the Cable Card (Scientific Atlanta Multi Stream PKM800). I have researched the web, and I believe that COMCAST needs to fix the TIME SERVERS. 

Here is some link I found in the matter:

www.dslreports.com/forum/r22326113-Alexandria-MN-clock-is-30-seconds-off-on-all-cable-boxes

COMCAST: If you need my account, please let me know.

Message Edited by KommandantKarl on 05-21-2009 05:02 AM
Message Edited by KommandantKarl on 05-21-2009 05:17 AM
Message Edited by KommandantKarl on 05-21-2009 05:39 AM
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: TIME DRIFTING in Florida when using MOXI HD DVR

This sounds like a problem with Moxi rather than Comcast.  How does the Moxi get its time?

Remove your account number for the sake of your privacy and security.

Regular Problem Solver

If Comcast cannot reset the time on the box wouldn't the issue be with the box?  Should this be handled by MOXI support dept?

Most Valued Poster
TerriB

I am in Northern Virginia and use Comcast's Sci.Atlantic HD DVR box and there is no way I can reset the clock myself..grrr. This issue seems to be in many part of the country and with different providers...double grr. I am still having the time drift issue.

I checked out the posts on dslreports and would like to slap those who say to modify the recording times to make up for the drift. That is NOT the solution  when we pay big bucks for digital cable/DVR and doing that makes other recordings get **bleep** up when you record a lot and do two at a time. Its a cable provider clock issue and with me happens when the time changes to DST every year.

Some shows end right on the hour and some a couple minutes before the end of the hour so would need to set up an algorithm  to figure out which ones to compensate for the drift....lol.

I have to laugh because when the power goes off I rely on the cable box clock for the exact time.

Terri

Contributor

I have read about this problem with third party boxes, including DVR or multiple brands and models. It cannot be that many customers' boxes are defective. This is Comcast's problem.

I researched the web, and there were similar problems that users reported with Charter, another cable company. Charter actually go into the forums and reported that they fixed the Time servers. 

I expect Comcast to resolve this problem 

Contributor

Re: TIME DRIFTING in South Florida when using MOXI HD DVR

I just received an additional answer from Moxi and they tell me that the time is set up by the Cable card.

I had to wait 3 weeks to get one Cable Card, since Comcast stated that they did not have any. I had to escalate the matter to corporate and in two hours I have one rep with the cable card. That was another ordeal I do not want to even remember, not mentioning the fact that I would have to call again to replace it or take a look at it. 

Honestly, I never had problems with Comcast until right now. If I could switch, I would do it in a hearbeat...I cannot because Comcast is the only cable provider in the area. 

Most Valued Poster
TerriB

Karl, I must say I have  been very happy with Comcast for many years except this blankety blank blank drifting clock issue. So happy that we recently added Digital Voice and took the Triple Play to save money per month  by dropping Verizon land line and the transition was totally transparent. We have old wiring in the house but everything works perfectly.

Come on Comcast...how darn hard is it to sync the clocks when the time changes? You have us addicted to the DVR and driving us crazy. Do you ever moderate these forums?

Terri

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

I've reported these (different) problems to see if a Comcast moderator can help either of you.
Most Valued Poster
TerriB

[ Edited ]

Thanks so much for reporting these issues War Eagle.

I forgot that I had emailed Comcast about this problem and guess what? Their executive office assistance or something like that actually called me just now. I told them it was not just me and not just in my area and not just Comcast. I asked how they set the clock when the time changes and she said its automatic. I told her that perhaps in the 'rolling of the automatic change' across the servers perhaps there is a delay that has caused a minute or two to be lost. She said she would do more research and call me back. Time will tell.

Terri

Message Edited by TerriB on 05-21-2009 09:19 AM
Contributor

Thanks War Eagle 

I just missed a call from Comcast Executive Relations. They are closed now and will call them tomorrow. i am glad they called you too terriB. Hopefully they can give us an answer and fix the problem.

Most Valued Poster
TerriB

At least it seems they are paying attention to our issue and that is a step in the right direction. Now to see if we get any results. Terri
Contributor

An executive also contacted me and committed to take this matter to the Eng. Dpt. Will keep you posted on the next steps.
Most Valued Poster
TerriB

Funny thing happened this morning. We thought we were losing our minds. At 6:33 AM here in Virginia the cable box clock said 7:02. I laughed so hard..talk about a DRIFT! I rebooted the box and got message that advanced services were not available and it just sat there with the Scientific Atlantic sign on screen but never went further. Box then came on ch 2 and is supposed come on our CBS ch 9 per our settings. No clock at all and no 'digital cable' channels nor guide,etc. I had to go to 'regular' TV A/V setting to even get a network channel. Called to see if there was a service  issue recording and got disconnected twice after being on hold for a while both times....grrr.  Had another cup of coffee and decided to wait it out. The box kept flashing something  but each time I jumped up to go look it was gone. Finally after a while it came back on and guess what? The time was 7:02 which was accurate this time. Twlight zone anyone?

Wonder if they were working on the drift? Fat chance? Time will tell when I record next time.

Terri