Recognized Contributor

TV Guide Listing download in Minneapolis

I have a Toshiba DVD recorder that used to get the TV Guide Onscreen (TVGOS) information before the digital transition.  Since then, it has not worked.  I have no cable box, and just run the cable into the recorder.  Does anyone know if this should be working?  Has it been checked out in Minneapolis?
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: TV Guide Listing download in Minneapolis

This seems to be fairly common following the transition.  Call 1-800-COMCAST.
Recognized Contributor

OK, first, thinking that it would help to thoroughly spell out the problemI sent an email to Comcast HelpThey replied that I should call 1800COMCAST, because "some issues cannot be properly diagnosed or resolved through e-mail communication", which doesn't really make sense to me, but whatever.

So I called the dreaded 1800COMCAST, and was met with the typical clueless customer service rep who eventually told me I needed to go get a free Digital Starter Package, which included a converter boxI did that and set up my DVR to work with the cable box, but still no TVGOS.  

I called back again, and got that rep's twin brother, who eventually opened a "channel request" for me, gave me a tracking number, and told me I should hear something in 72 hours.  

After a week, I opened up a Live Chat to discuss thisEvidently no progress had been made on my issue, so I explained it all again, and was told to expect something in 72 hours

I waited another week, and opened another ChatThis time, I was told that there were no notes or documentation yet on my "channel request", but that it would be escalated, and I was given a Reference Number, "which is different than a Tracking Number". 

So here I sit, patiently waiting, with hope in my heartI don't really expect the customer service reps to understand what TVGOS isIt doesn't really surprise me that they think I mean the TV Guide ChannelIt is irritating, however, to see that when I spell out the problem in an email or a chat, and open an issue with customer service, that nothing gets doneI do plan to persist, on a weekly basis, until I get a fix or an official blow-off from someone who sounds like they understand what I'm talking about.

Regular Problem Solver

Is there an initial setup that you can run on the DVD player?   On most tvs you either have to run the initial ot general setup to re-initialize tvgos if the channels are changing.

Recognized Contributor

Yeah, thanks for the suggestion, but I've done that.  Reset everything and made it go search for the info, with no luck.

Still hopeful . . .

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

I am under the impression that the TVGOS feature is dependent on the firmware in your DVD recorder, and there is alot of units that have needed firmware upgrades to the hardware to restore guide function after the digital change, both over cable using QAM and over the air using ATSC. 

I would contact Toshiba customer service at 1-800-631-3811 or the number in your manual and ask about firmware updates for your specific model, and talk to them about the guide issue.

I have a friend that lost guide downloads after the over the air digital transistion.  Mitsubishi automatically sent him a USB flash drive to update his firmware on his 18 monthl old LCD tv, and the the guide downloads have returned and is functioning properly.  Because he had registered his unit with Mitsubishi, he automatically received the firmware update, and a prepaid return envelope to return the flash drive.

Hope this helps.

Recognized Contributor

Opened up another help chat today, and asked about the ticket that was opened last week.  After a lot of explaining and re-explaining, I was told that the ticket was closed the day it was opened.  No resolution, no notification, just closed.  During the chat I sent some links to the Rovi website and the chat analyst suggested that I replace my cable box with one that is listed on the Rovi website.  This is what I will attempt tomorrow.