Visitor

TV goes dark and DVR flashes dul

TV goes dark and DVR flashes dul. Flashes picture no sound and goes dark and DVR flashes dulThis happens for 3 to 5 times when turning on TV and DVRALSO, will happen during a broadcast with NO contact with the remoteHappened during the 49er game on 01/15 all while everyone was enjoying the game at my houseWe may not have a party this Sunday 01/22 if this is not fixed

TV goes dark and DVR flashes dul. Flashes picture no sound and goes dark and DVR flashes dul.  This happens for 3 to 5 times when turning on TV and DVR.  ALSO, will happen during a broadcast with NO contact with the remote.  Happened during the 49er game on 01/15 all while everyone was enjoying the game at my house.  We may not have a party this Sunday 01/22 if this is not fixed.

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

Re: TV goes dark and DVR flashes dul

The DUI (it's actually trying to say DVI, which is the predecessor connector to HDMI) means it is doing an HDCP (HD Copy Protection) handshake. The handshake sets up encryption keys since the data is scrambled to prevent copying.

Is the cable box directly connected to the TV, or going through a receiver?

Regular Contributor
Commtech9501

sounds like a HDMI handshake issue. I believe it is displaying dvi....digital video interface....this is normal. I should say it's normal for that to display for a moment when turning on your TV if the box is already on. Then once the HDMI connection is made it should go away and display the time or TV channel you are on. Sounds like it keeps losing the HDMI connection multiple times for some reason.

I guess it could be the box or could be the TV. Not sure if component cables are an option with your current setup but that could be a short term solution until you get a different box. If it was me i would veriffy the HDMI input on the TV as well as the HDMI cable used by hooking it to another device like bluray player or something. Maybe if you have a different box in the home you could try it in place of your current box to see if it is the box. Then you could replace that box with a new one if it turns out to be the box...

or if component cables fix it you could use them?

Just a few ideas...

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

definately switch to component if that works just leave it that way.

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

Also, if it's connected directly to the TV, try using a different HDMI input if there is one. Sometimes, one of the HDMI inputs may have special features that may confuse the cable box.

Visitor

Comcast repairman figured it out.  He came out to replace the DVR box but first he looked at how the cables were connected.  He found the HDMI from the DVR going to the amp and another from the amp to the TV.

He change confiuration so the HDMI goes from the DVR directly to the TV.  The speed of changing the channels improved and no "no input signal" flashes on the screen any more went changing channels.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!  Comcast repairman solved the problem. 

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

Some of the cable boxes, especially Motorola's, are hyper-sensitive to HDCP issues. The slightest glitch causes them to force a new handshake. Sometimes, they have been known to cut the resolution to 720p or even 480p, without telling you.