Visitor

TV shuts off by itself-cable stays on

My tv is and has been, connected to the cable box power source. Just the tv suddenly began turning off by itself while the cable box remains on. We have great difficulty getting it to turn back on at times - haven't been able to get it back on this last time. Sometimes we notice that it says "no signal" right before it goes off. Driving us nuts!

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: TV shuts off by itself-cable stays on

I want to confirm you have the AC power plug for the TV plugged into the AC convenience outlet on the cable box?

I will add the "no signal" would indicate the TV is losing the video signal from the set top box.  Are using HDMI from the set top box to the TV?

You probably should take the box and remote to the local Comcast office for a swap.

Contributor
lennn99

Have had this problem for more than a year! We have had numerous techs come out, they have no clue.they have replaced everything ,dvr(6times), splitters,all of the actual cable, all of the other boxes. Nothing has helped so good luck.( we even replaced the tv for a couple grand)
Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

Most modern day TV's will indeed turn themselves off if they go for an extended period of time (15-20 minutes) without getting any signal (or change in the signal).  Could that be the problem?

New Visitor
sjb15

As I was just sitting here watching the end of the Braves game, and looking up how to contact Comcast, the cable shuts off. No warning...it doesn't immediately come back on, and you can't make it come back on with the remote. It does it at least 3 or 4 times a week.... any ideas?  I'm getting ready to send back the DVR that I can't use ...I'm paying for the service, but have not been able to use it for over 3 months...I don't have time to deal with this during the school year, so I haven't pursued it. When I press the My DVR button, a blue box pops up that says "DVR service is not available or is currently disabled"...so what do I do about that???

Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

[ Edited ]

sjb15 wrote:

As I was just sitting here watching the end of the Braves game, and looking up how to contact Comcast, the cable shuts off. No warning...it doesn't immediately come back on, and you can't make it come back on with the remote. It does it at least 3 or 4 times a week.... any ideas?  I'm getting ready to send back the DVR that I can't use ...I'm paying for the service, but have not been able to use it for over 3 months...I don't have time to deal with this during the school year, so I haven't pursued it. When I press the My DVR button, a blue box pops up that says "DVR service is not available or is currently disabled"...so what do I do about that???

Call Comcast.  It sounds like there is/are signal problem(s) in you area.  At the minimum get a credit for the times when you are not receiving a signal..