New Visitor
alock1970

TV sporadically losing HDMI cable signal from Motorola DVR

I bought a new Samsung TV recently and hooked it up on Monday night.  I have a Motorola DVR and a Blue Ray DVD that I attached to the TV with 2 HDMI cables (Cable signal is HDMI port 1, DVD player is HDMI port 2).  After setup, I was able to watch TV and a Blue Ray DVD with no problem.  Everything working fine.  After watching the DVD, I put on one of my premium channels and watched most of a movie in HD.  About 3/4 through the movie, my TV suddenly lost signal from the DVR.  I went upstairs and checked my other TV and the cable signal worked fine on that TV.  Last night I turned on the DVR and TV and the TV displayed that there was no signal detected from my DVR.  In both instances of this happening, I was able to temporarily resolve the issue by disconnecting the HDMI cable that runs from the DVR to the TV and then plug it back in.  Would this issue point to a problem with my DVR or my new TV?  I am hoping I just need some sort of firmware update for the DVR or the TV.  The Blue Ray DVD has not dropped in my viewings of DVD's since Monday (I've watched about 4 movies so far), it is just the cable signal.  Could this point to a weak cable signal?  How should I proceed with troubleshooting?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: TV sporadically losing HDMI cable signal from Motorola DVR

Are you talking about losing the video HDMI signal between the DVR and the TV?

Or are you talking about losing the TV signal coming into the box?  Like a S0A00 or a "this channel will be available momentarily" message?

Please post the model of the HD box for the new TV.

New Visitor
alock1970

Thanks for the quick reply.  I tried to be as specific as I could.

The issue seems to be with losing the HDMI signal between the DVR and the TV, since the upstairs TV still receives cable signal when I have this problem with the new TV.  Plus, the resolution I found involves disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI cable that runs from the DVR to the TV.  After a second or two after doing that, the TV signal re-appears.  The lost signal message is generated by the TV, it is not a Comcast generated message.

I know its a Motorola DVR, but I am at work and do not have the model number handy.  I am trying to obtain that information from someone who is at home, but it might be a while until I can post the specific model number.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

You can first check your video settings in the user menu.  Do this by turning off the DVR with the remote.  Then press the menu button.  The user menu will come up.

If you have a DCX3400, you will see these selections, and you should try running it in "native" mode and check all the selections are enabled.

If you have a older silver DVR, the selection will be less, so try similar or different settings and see if any changes help.

If nothing helps, then post back.

P5130863.JPG 

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

Instead of unplugging the HDMI cable, try simply turning the TV off and back on. That may force a new handshake and reawaken the encrypted link.

I've occasionally had my TV 'lose' the signal when I switch from and HD channel to an SD. It usually happens sometime after I've been watching something else, like my BluRay player, or the TV's built-in streaming.

New Visitor
alock1970

I think I may have had a breakthrough in the investigation last night.  When I got home and turned on the TV and DVR last night, there was no signal being detected.  As I have done in the past, I unplugged the HDMI cable, waited a few seconds, and then reconnected them.  That restored my signal.  Since I had not had any problems with the HDMI signal getting dropped when watching DVDs, I decided to swap the two cables.  In other words, I unplugged the HDMI cable connecting my TV and DVR and replaced it with the one connecting my TV and DVD player.  I watched one movie all the way through, but during the second movie, I lost signal about half way into the movie.  I am thinking now that I have a bad apple HDMI cable.  I read some articles this morning where other people have reported a bad HDMI cable.  Its infrequent, but it does appear to happen.  The HDMI cables that I bought new at Target are 4 ft cables by Sony.  They are HDMI with Ethernet (I don't really need the Ethernet functionality though).  I am going to see if I can return the problematic one and get a replacement for it.  I will update this post if the new cable provides stability with the signal.

Regular Contributor

Please do, I'd love to know if the new cable solves your issue, which is identical to mine.  I have not tried switching cables, but I have "jiggled" them and that does seem to solve the problem for a short while.

New Visitor
mrmccoy

Just purchased a Samsung Smart TV. Have a Comcast DCX3400 (Motorola). TV keeps losing signal. Called Comcast who said to disconnect box to reset - did not resolve. Any other suggestions out there?
New Visitor
AzG20P11

I am having this exact same issue with a brand new Motorola DVR from comcast on a Samsung LCD.  I am going to try a new HDMI cable this evening.

Regular Contributor

This is an old thread, I almost forgot what it was about, but today I got an e-mail saying there had been another post so I re-read my post and the following posts.  A new HDMI cable solved my issue two years ago and I haven't had any problems, since.  I would advise trying to be sure any new cable installed be supported rather than letting it droop, causing a break in the cable right behind the metal connection.