Contributor
elderthomas

TVGOS data (Rovi)

I am informed from the Rovi website

http://www.rovicorp.com/products/ce_manufacturers/guide_ce/tv_guide_on_screen.htm

that TVGOS data is available through Comcast Calvert County (MD). But I don't know what channel carries it (This is not the Comcast TVGOS that I find on Channel 42) The data is usually transmitted from a local broadcast station, e.g. MPT (Channel 22), I use a Sony DHG HDD250 DVR. with cable card which is dependent on that data for clock setting and scheduling recordings. and so far I haven't been able to find the channel over which the data is available. It would be a great help in setting up the DVR if I knew the channel.

Regards

elderthomas

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: TVGOS data (Rovi)

Start by updating the firmware on the unit by going to Sony's support site.  Most of these units needed updating to receive the data on a digital channel.

Contributor
elderthomas

Thanks for the reply. The firmware is already updated to the latest version. I may have to wait longer for it to find the host channel on its own. I have only had it 4 days now and most of that time has been spent feeling it out. I do turn it off at night, but I haven't let it go for several days without turning it on again. Do you have experience with this DVR? Any suggestions appreciated.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

[ Edited ]

I called a buddy, but his Sony DVR is older RDR-HX900 which only has a analog tuner.  He is totally hosed since the OTA analog shutdown, as he is on an antenna.

Next step is to try and hook it up to an antenna, rabbit ears, coathanger, whatever you have and see if the guide info can ge downloaded from the over the air channels.  Normally Comcast passes down the info from what it receives from the station without touching the signal.

There's been other brands of similar units (Toshiba's) that have stopped working with the digital conversion.

You might be better looking on AVSforum for your specific model and see what others have to say.  There's alot of hardware forums over there.

I'd like to know where there is a souce of these, since they have been discontinued for a while.

Contributor
elderthomas

Thanks for your info. I have tried your suggestions about the antenna. Tried rabbit ears, but in our location I got no stations when I scanned. We are located about 35 miles from the nearest broadcast station. I would probably need a good outside antenna to do any good. There is a forum dedicated to this particular unit, but most of the info on it is pre digital. I would simply like to find out which local Comcast channel passes the tvgos data. But I get stonewalled when I go to any of their customer service people. They say that they can't answer any question on this issue since it isn't supported by Comcast. You can find used Sony DHG HDD250 or 500's on eBay. That is where I got this one. It seems to be in good shape and had the latest firmware upgrade. This firmware upgrades the unit to handle digital data. But I don't know if it will handle the analog data anymore.

Thankks for your replies.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Comcast would not be adding that data, it gets passed down from the local network stations.  In years past in analog days, data similar to that was usually broadcast by the local PBS station in the VBI.

Comcast agents certainly would never know that information in a million years.

I'll keep looking if I find out anything more, I'll post back.

Do you have it hooked directly to the coax?

Contributor
elderthomas

Thanks, There is a site http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=tvgos that gives a listing of stations transmitting TVGOS. Our local CBS station (WUSA channel 9) is listed as of Mar. 2010. I am sure I could get the data OTA if I had enough of an antenna. I may have to go that route if I can't find it in comcast. I've given up with comcast reps. It just seems so ludicrous that they are so uptight about giving out information on which of their channels contains the TVGOS data. Surely someone there must know.

Yes I do have the DVR connected directly to the coax. I even tried spliting the signal and putting part into the OTA connection. I found 12 analog channels there. But I am not sure if my unit will process the TVGOS analog data now, even if it were being transmitted on one of those stations.

Thanks very much for your interest and help.

Regards

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Thanks for the link, I've bookmarked it for the future, by me it is the CBS station also.

Remember, Comcast reps, just read off their screens, they don't know anything about this "odd" stuff that doesn't include their hardware, programming, and internal systems.  If you poled 1000 Comcast reps, I'll bet no one ever heard of TVGOS.

Contributor
elderthomas

Is it not permitted for them to pass the question up the line until it reaches someone who knows. It seems like good customer service should be based on what the customer needs to know, rather than what you want them to know. I guess thats rather naive nowdays.

Contributor
elderthomas

Finally I received some definite info regarding local TVGOS transmissions. The following from the technical director of our local CBS station.

"As the CBS affiliate in Washington, DC, WUSA does transmit the TVGOS data on our broadcast signal, specifically on our HD channel 9.1.  this data is included within the feed we provide to Comcast."

Just thought I would pass this along in case anyone else was interested.

Regards,

Contributor
Moe-squito

Hi Elder,

I live in S.E. Michigan and for some reason my Pioneer Kuro with Cable Card is no longer receiving the TVGOS signal.  I noticed it a couple days ago and have tried resetting my TV GUIDE but to no avail.  In reset mode, I changed the data input from cable box to antenna with no luck  I then contacted Pioneer to ask if my TV required a firmware update and they replied no.

So, I contacted Comcast on-line support last night and spent over two hours with a girl who really didn't know what the TVGOS was.  All she did was reset the signal to my cable card and I then went thru the reset procedures for the TV GUIDE.  As of this morning, I haven't checked to see if it is reloading because the instructions with the TV say to leave the TV off for at least 24 hours.

Anyway, the girl told me that I can't get the TV GUIDE with cable card and if I wanted it I had to get a converter box.  When she said that I knew that after two hours she was still clueless about TVGOS and was focusing on Comcast's ON SCREEN TELEVISION GUIDE.

I don't know what to do at this point but I'm certainly not going to rent another one of their boxes. 

New Visitor
dcustard4850

I have cable without a box. I live in Michigan and my TVGOS was working fine until approximately 6 months ago and I have not received a TVGOS data update since. I check my Host channel and is says NONE. I have tried everything recommended to retrieve a host channel no avail.  

I have contacted Comcast support several times using on-line chat, phone and in person.

After countless hours wasted, everyone at Comcast is clueless to what TVGOS is.

The last tech I talked to said to fix the problem, I should go to a local Comcast center and pick up a free box. Well stupid me picked up the box and hooked it up. It cut my channel selection to a few channels and did not fix the TVGOS host channel issue. Another waste your time!

Sooo... I called again and they are still clueless about TVGOS and keep referring to the COMCAST ON SCREEN TELEVISION GUIDE.

All I need to know is who is broadcasting the TVGOS data so I can force that channel as the Host channel in my TV setup.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

[ Edited ]

Here's a site  that lists TVGOS channel data providers.  That will tell you if there is one that's carried on the cable.  Also make sure your TV has the latest firmware updates from the Mfr.

Contributor
Moe-squito

Sorry for not posting a follow-up. 

Here in S.E. Michigan, the two channel hosts for the TVGOS signal are the local CBS and PBS affiliates and it's unlikely they have stopped providing the signal with their broadcasts.  The problem lies with COMCAST.  For whatever reason, they have chosen to discontinue providing the TVGOS signal with their broadcast service.  Since they are not legally obligated to, I suspect this is their lame attempt to force individuals such as myself who utilize the Cable Card to rent one of their converter boxes.  I have a friend who is an installation Supervisor with WOW and he informed me that they do not provide the TVGOS signal either.

FWIW, here’s an email I received from my TV’s manufacturer when I contacted them about this issue:

“A cable company can at any time remove the TV Guide Server so if they did then there is nothing we can do.  Please call TV Guide Support from Pioneer at 800-421-1404 and one of our representatives will be able to obtain some diagnostics from your TV forward them to TV Guide directly and they will find out what the issue is.  If in fact the cable company removed this server and they are not willing to re install it there is nothing we can do. “

New Visitor
dcustard4850

WOW… you nailed it. I just finished a chat session with Comcast, which is probably my last communication with Comcast other than canceling my Cable TV and Internet service. They informed me that they do broadcast the TVGOS interactive guide data but I have to pay $8 a month for a box in order to receive the data. I told them how unfortunate it is that they charge for something that is provided free and that I am done with Comcast. I am going back to rabbit ears (digital antenna) for OTA channels or switching to a different provider.

Thanks!