New Visitor
jscott25

The DVI/HDMI output is blocked, Press EXIT to Cancel

I am in Chesterfield County, VA, and I have the RNG150 HD Cable box.   My son had it hooked up to his HD TV till he went off to school and it worked fine.  I took it and switched it out with another HD TV that is connected to a Sound System using a HDMI cable.  When you first turn on the TV, Box and Sound system, you get sound, but no picture, then it says The DVI/HDMI output is blocked, Press EXIT to Cancel.  I have called Comcast twice about this, but no one that I have talked with has a solution.  They thought it was the box, so I brought it in and exchanged if for a new box.  The same thing keeps happening, the only way to get it to work is after I get the message is to disconnect the power from the box and then plug back in.  I looked out on the internet for a solution and found you could connect the box to the tv with just component cables, (blue, green and red), but that doesn't seem to be working either.  I am connecting to a VIZIO tv.  Is

there a fix, or do I just have to keep unplugging and plugging back in.

I hope someone out here knows of an easy fix.

Thanks

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: The DVI/HDMI output is blocked, Press EXIT to Cancel

Two things to try

Unplug the AC power to all the equipment, power up the TV first, then the sound system, then the set top box.

Go to the TV Mfr's web site and check for firmware upgrades for the TV, you might need a flash drive to transfer the file and then follow the directions to upgrade the TV.

New Visitor
jscott25

I checked the Mfr's web site and there are no firmware upgrades for that model.  

I will try your other suggestion next.  Should that take care of it, or will it need to be done all the time?

New Visitor
txjules

Hi! I was wondering if you were able to resolve your "dvi/hdmi output is blocked" issue.  I have an insignia tv and I have a tivo series 2.  It's so frustrating.  Please let me know if you found a solution. Thanks. 

New Visitor
TheReaper

I am also getting this message.  I have a Samsung 46" LCD.  I have it directly connected from the Comcast HD DVR by Cisco to the TV.  My money is that the Cisco HD DVR is somewhat incompatable with certain HDMI TV's.  I'm sure plugging in the component cables would resolve this issue but I do not have any at this time.  

The main difference between the two is that an HDMI cable delivers the signal digitally, and component delivers the signal in an analog format. In other words, HDMI delivers the signal as a data stream and component delivers the signal as varying voltages corresponding to the red, green, and blue components of the signal.

New Visitor
HumanDad

I am having this same problem. Everything was fine for years. I had one issue yesterday trying to watch a HBO on demand. Comcast resent the signal or whatever and whammy - hdmi blocked message. Weird thing is that now my home theatre system won't work either, and it is connected into a different HDMI port. Switched the cable box to a coax cable and now I can watch cable. Anyone have any days? Comcast phone people were no help - they are the ones that messed it up in the first place...
New Visitor
HumanDad

Found a solution on another forum that worked. Unplug all hdmi connections. Unplug all power cords. Reattach hdmi cables Plug power cords back in. Power up.
New Visitor
demway

Thanks for the information.  I unpluged everthing and waited awhile then reconnect everthing.  It works great now.  Thanks

New Visitor
geekintraining

This worked for us too!  Thanks for sharing!

New Visitor
hamaibor

Thank you!  After spending 1 1/2 hours in a chat session with a Comcast "expert," I had decided to return the HD box and be done with it.  Then I saw your simple but elegant solution and it worked!  It is said that the simplest solution to a problem is most often the best.

New Visitor
BronxBoy

Resolution: Re: The DVI/HDMI output is blocked, Press EXIT to Cancel

[ Edited ]

I figured it out. I had the same issue - only the Comcast box I have is the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4250HDC. The resolution s that there's a "Settings" function on the cable box - you can access it by pressing the button on the box or using the "Menu" button on the remote. Go to "Main Menu" then "Setup" then "Audio Setup" there's an "HDMI Audio Output" tab there - click on that and move it to "On" and voila, issue resolved. Shame Comcast doesn't know its own products. 

New Visitor
lak3n4m5

thanks for the help.  in addition, i had to wait about 1/2 hour before everything re-set and it turned on.