Regular Contributor
FredNation

So Comcast announced the X2. It's next-gen of the X1 platform. So my question is:

• What markets will it be available?
  • Is there a video of the Comcast's Cable Show conference?

Source:

Comcast Voices - http://corporate.comcast.com/news-information/news-feed/introducing-x2

Contributor
FATHERFORD

Re: The X2

I was told last week that X2 will be available in houston by the end of July.

Contributor
Texasfight1182

The questions is will i need to update my new X1 boxes to a new X2 box. I live in Houston and I just got X1 about 3 weeks ago. Thoughts, would love for X2 to just be a software update.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

[ Edited ]

FredNation wrote:

So Comcast announced the X2. It's next-gen of the X1 platform. So my question is:

• What markets will it be available?
  • Is there a video of the Comcast's Cable Show conference?

Source:

Comcast Voices - http://corporate.comcast.com/news-information/news-feed/introducing-x2

All markets are scheduled for X2 as a follow on to the X1 Experience.

Below is a link to some video with Comcast Chairman and CEO Brian Roberts at the NCTA Cable Show in DC earlier today:

http://corporate.comcast.com/news-information/news-feed/watch-the-brian-roberts-keynote-from-ncta

Plus Mr. Roberts' appearance on CNBC also earlier today:

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000174043

Contributor
Texasfight1182

Thanks, so will it be a software update to the X1 or will current X1 customers need new boxes?

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

Texasfight1182 wrote:

The questions is will i need to update my new X1 boxes to a new X2 box. I live in Houston and I just got X1 about 3 weeks ago. Thoughts, would love for X2 to just be a software update.

Yes, the "software upgrade" model is the plan for current X1 customers once X2 is ready to go to customers later this year.

Contributor
Texasfight1182

Thanks for the Update, looking forward to X2!

Regular Contributor
FredNation

ComcastTeds wrote:

Texasfight1182 wrote:

Yes, the "software upgrade" model is the plan for current X1 customers once X2 is ready to go to customers later this year.

So with this software upgrade will we be able to store videos on the cloud like the X2?

And how do we order the X2 box once it's available, just go to my local Xfinity store?

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

FredNation wrote:

ComcastTeds wrote:

Texasfight1182 wrote:

So with this software upgrade will we be able to store videos on the cloud like the X2?

And how do we order the X2 box once it's available, just go to my local Xfinity store?

Yes, with X2, the DVR programs are stored in the cloud automatically.

Once X2 is available later this year, additional details will be provided on availability and the process to obtain. 

Contributor
Texasfight1182

Side question I can't seem to get answered. I have the Arris TG862G wireless gateway. What is the gateway that X1 customers should be using. I know there is a second "generation" gateway that has both 2.4GHZ and 5.0GHZ wireless spectrum, mine only has the 2.4, also up until yesterday the gateway had only 4 bonded pairs down and 2 bonded pairs up, I power cycled the gateway and it update to 8 bonded down and 2 up.

I went to comcast store and they had no idea what i was talking about, told me the arris is the latest they had.

ideas....

Regular Problem Solver
C_DM

Texasfight1182 wrote:

Side question I can't seem to get answered. I have the Arris TG862G wireless gateway. What is the gateway that X1 customers should be using. I know there is a second "generation" gateway that has both 2.4GHZ and 5.0GHZ wireless spectrum, mine only has the 2.4, also up until yesterday the gateway had only 4 bonded pairs down and 2 bonded pairs up, I power cycled the gateway and it update to 8 bonded down and 2 up.

I went to comcast store and they had no idea what i was talking about, told me the arris is the latest they had.

ideas....

X1 doesn't use your internet connection, so it doesn't really matter.

Bronze Star Contributor

Will any of these boxes ever allow us to watch our recordings even when the cable service is down?  Will there be an option to NOT store recordings in the cloud?

Right now, it is very frustrating to have hours of recordings on the X1 that cannot be watched during a cable outage - the "go to Red Box and rent a Blu-ray" workaround is not always what I want to do.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds
Bronze Star Contributor
bkyle7301

ok here is a concept maybe COMCAST should wait until the X1 rollout is complete before announicing a X2 box, I just got my X1 boxes a few weeks ago here in CHATTANOOGA explain later this year unlike the X1 what is the time frame!! alos improve communication is needed here,all the information I got for the X1 was here at the forums, when I called my local COMCAST they had no clue, plus I had to call repeatley, email corporate just to find out if and when available, this must also improve thier is an annoucement section of the bill , that would be perfect for this!!

Regular Problem Solver
C_DM

bkyle7301 wrote:

ok here is a concept maybe COMCAST should wait until the X1 rollout is complete before announicing a X2 box, I just got my X1 boxes a few weeks ago here in CHATTANOOGA explain later this year unlike the X1 what is the time frame!! alos improve communication is needed here,all the information I got for the X1 was here at the forums, when I called my local COMCAST they had no clue, plus I had to call repeatley, email corporate just to find out if and when available, this must also improve thier is an annoucement section of the bill , that would be perfect for this!!

X2 is more of an update/upgrade to the X1 UI and features than it is new hardware (although there will likely be new hardware for the X1 plantform in genreal in the near and more distant future).

Bronze Star Contributor
bkyle7301

C_DM wrote:

bkyle7301 wrote:

X2 is more of an update/upgrade to the X1 UI and features than it is new hardware (although there will likely be new hardware for the X1 plantform in genreal in the near and more distant future

your not seeing my point thier is so many features not turn on in the X1 for example the full 6 tuuners, the ability if the X1 to be a modem, plus the larger hard drive what are the time frame for these updates or are these part of the X2!! the origonal poster gave us a link later this year which means 2013 is that true?? its already nearly August that and the end of December will be here before we know it!! I'm not trying to be a jerk, but better communication is needed, thier is always a time frame, why is Comcast so reluctant to gve it out? I know its  open to change just give us an idea, and which markets in that time frame and again always open to change again communication is the key which we did not get in the X1 as I stated!!

Regular Problem Solver
C_DM

bkyle7301 wrote:

C_DM wrote:

bkyle7301 wrote:

X2 is more of an update/upgrade to the X1 UI and features than it is new hardware (although there will likely be new hardware for the X1 plantform in genreal in the near and more distant future

your not seeing my point thier is so many features not turn on in the X1 for example the full 6 tuuners, the ability if the X1 to be a modem, plus the larger hard drive what are the time frame for these updates or are these part of the X2!! the origonal poster gave us a link later this year which means 2013 is that true?? its already nearly August that and the end of December will be here before we know it!! I'm not trying to be a jerk, but better communication is needed, thier is always a time frame, why is Comcast so reluctant to gve it out? I know its  open to change just give us an idea, and which markets in that time frame and again always open to change again communication is the key which we did not get in the X1 as I stated!!

Again, X2 is more of a UI and software update for the X1 boxes, and features like more tuners or something else can be enabled as part of it or separately from it.  Things like X1 platform boxes with modems or larger hard drives are more hardware type of items that will be launching separately and are pretty much unrelated to the current X1 equipment and its features.  New equipemnt should be coming later this year and/or early next year it seems based on the latest information.  New features for the current X1 equipment are being rolled out all the time, and a larger redesign of the UI/software, refered to as X2, should also be coming somtime later this year.

Visitor
pscott520

And here in Scranton PA we haven't even gotten X1 yet....stuck with the old technology from a decade ago.  Let's go Comcast, get X1 here.....Directv's Genie is looking better everyday!

Contributor

I was wondering how I just got brand new service (and am likely cancelling it because of all the problems I'm having anyway), but how I get brand new service and get an old box and not X1?

I'm in the Altanta area.  The problem is I haven't really been a comcast TV user for quite some time (just basic), and now I see they have a bunch of different boxes and UIs and people ask if I have "X1" and I don't even know (well, I do now).  The UI on my box is terrible compared to the competitor that I am going to keep in about 5 minutes... been on hold with Comcast for an hour to "escalate" to a supervisor... that's escalating my issue?  Wow. :smileyplain:

I have motorolla boxes... the UI is terrible.  If someone asked me which version (of the UI) I had, I wouldn't be able to tell them.

Bronze Star Contributor

gfxguy wrote:

I was wondering how I just got brand new service (and am likely cancelling it because of all the problems I'm having anyway), but how I get brand new service and get an old box and not X1?

I'm in the Altanta area.  The problem is I haven't really been a comcast TV user for quite some time (just basic), and now I see they have a bunch of different boxes and UIs and people ask if I have "X1" and I don't even know (well, I do now).  The UI on my box is terrible compared to the competitor that I am going to keep in about 5 minutes... been on hold with Comcast for an hour to "escalate" to a supervisor... that's escalating my issue?  Wow. :smileyplain:

I have motorolla boxes... the UI is terrible.  If someone asked me which version (of the UI) I had, I wouldn't be able to tell them.

In ATL, at least a few months ago when we got our X1s, they were only available to Triple Play Customers - TV, Internet, and Phone.  If you have that, you should be able to an X1.  The older boxes don't look as nice, have different features, and far less bugs than X1.

Regular Contributor
silentchiloner

I have just got the x1 here in Chicago. Loving it compared to the old boxes but can someone explain the "x2"?

Contributor
jpc165

i apologize ahead of time for my ramblings but trust me its warranted...

This may be the biggest piece of garbage ever released by comcast.  In principal it sounds AWESOME... however, every dang day something awful occurs with the X1 DVR in my living room and the X1 hub (anyroom) in my bedroom.  

The other night both of them were completly locked up and you could only watch whatever channel u happend to be stuck on. NO MENUS WORKED AT ALL, couldnt change the channels etc.  We were forced to reboot both (the reboot times take much longer than the old DVRS neat!!).  

Today i got home from work.. HERES WHAT WE GOT NOW.. i go to DELETED FOLDER (which by the way is the dumbest idea ever, why the F do i need to DOUBLE DELELTE SHOWS!!! ugh), and I try to delete shows with the D button.  I click ERASE and guess what NOTHING HAPPENS, the dang shows just stay there!. cool

Next I see a Bradly Coolper series recording stuck in my priority manager list THAT I CANT REMOVE!!.  He is NOT listed in my favorites so i cant remove him there AND again the D button wont delete his SERIES RECORDING from the priority manager area.  So the end result is abunch of junk Bradley Cooper movies auto recording.  And guess whats cool about that!??? I CANT DELETE THOSE MOVIES AT ALL!!!> again the D button DOES nothing ( i dont even get the ERASE little window after hitting D) but also when i click INFO on the junk movie the DELETE option IS MISSING!!! lolzzzzz

Every dang day its something new with THESE BUGGY JUNK BOXES.  How can you guys release something that has this many problems? Please explain yourselves. /evil guy from breaking bad

Contributor
stewpendouse

It seems like you don't have so much of a box issue but an upstream issue. Typically if you live in a heavily populated area like a large city it is more prone to Ingress. Basically interference flowing toward the provider. When this happens your box and any internet traffic has to fight its way through the noise to send back to the office to complete its command. When the noise gets to much for it you will notice slow channel changing and menu scroll also your internet speeds will slow and potential voice quality issues on the phone. When it becomes completely incapacitated it will lock the menu and channel changing altogether and then you are stuck until the noise is repaired or disappears. The boxes are actually really good quality and have a user friendly interface. If you are having issues with the box responding call Comcast and ask them to look at your signal quality at the time of issue and if they send a tech to your home for repair ask them to look at your signal history and see if there is an intermittent problem for the plant team to look at fixing out side. It may be as simple as a loose connector blowing in the wind that can take down 300 subscribers. And yes that can happen to any cable provider that supplies two way signal even Fios! When things are tight things run right!!! Good luck to you but don't give up it can be fixed and you should be able to expect that it does. You are a paying customer!!!

New Visitor
yaz96

Dude, this is the X2 thread, no place for your useless rant. At least put it where people might care.

Contributor
Bramton1

[ Edited ]

Perhaps Comcast should be doing a better job with rolling out the X1 and letting people know when it's rolled out. I have an SA box, and had no idea that I have access to X1 until reading these forums prompted me to call. Undoubtably, had I read these forums and called, I never would have known about getting X1 and would have kept the DVR that boasts features that were standard 10 years ago until my contract expired and I jumped ship for DTV or FiOS.

What is the X2 timetable for areas that only got X1 a month or two ago?

Regular Contributor
gweagraff

I just found a video on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kObYQSK7q_E

I'm sure some of you have seen it before. But here's what I'm hoping the X2 will feature, mostly things that the X1 lacks. Such as the ability to skip ahead a day in the guide, and a way to adjust the audio output. Now let me ask, is the X2 actually available anywhere as of yet?

Contributor

why in the world would you (or anyone) want to store your DVR recordings in the cloud?

I could see that leading to all kinds of issues with stuttering, issues trying to fast forward/rewind, and just tons of general availability issues...

Bronze Star Contributor
bkyle7301

okay when my X1 boxes were insatlled the technician told be all the feature that I explain larger hard drive, modem and six tuners were available in the X1 boxes and now you are telling me different!!!  so new boxes would be needed for these features??? 

Regular Contributor
FredNation

Any information on the release of the X2 yet? I've been having major problems with my normal X1 HD box for about the entire time I started my Xfinity service. It's been a year and still have issues with it. I would like a discount on my bill for the year of the issue I had if possible too.

Thank you.

Bronze Star Contributor
xGMANx

You can enjoy the UI (User Interface) Now..

On your remote

1. Press "EXIT" Button twice.
2. Press 9292
Bronze Star Contributor
gate1975mlm

[ Edited ]

I used the Exit,Exit,92,92 code so I have been using X2 on all 3 of my DVR boxes for over a week now.

Found Bugs, Missing Features and Feature Requests for X2 Guide!!!

1. After watching a DVR Recording you do not get a "Checkmark" anymore next to the watched program.

2. You can no longer view "Cast and Crew" for TV Shows only movies as this feature.

3. You can no longer view "All upcoming times" for the same TV Show on one screen at a time. The only way now to do this is you have to search though the entire guide hour by hour.

4. "Sometimes" when setting a new recording it's either not added the "Schedule Recodings" at all or a long delay before it appears under "Schedule Recodings". But you do still get the red dot on the program to be recorded in the guide.

5. When a program is currently recording it's added all the way on the bottom of your DVR Recordings list instead of at the top like in X1.

6. When bringing up the "mini guide" on the right side the option for only showing either HD Channels, Premium or Favs is missing.

7. You can no longer delete your DVR Recordings one by one by just clicking the "Green D" button on your remote.

8. When clicking the "Last" button to show your last 9 channels watched you can no longer click the "Green D" button to remove all history.

9. "Sometimes" when clicking the "Last" button and you select a DVR Recording that you already started watching it starts from the beginning instead of continuing where you left off.

10. The "Deleted Folder" is all the way at the bottom of your DVR Recordings list. This is bad in my opinion and I think the "Deleted Folder" instead should be at the top next to where the other selections like "Recent, Recordings, Schedule and Favorites are located.

11.The Red Recording Light on the front of the Box stays on after your recording is done.

12. Still no option to put your favorite shows in alphabetical order.

13. When you see shows in the program guide that you have saved in your favorites list you should see a green check mark or something like that to remind you that the tv show is in your favorite list.

14. Scheduled Recordings can not be deleted.

15. Deleted recordings sometimes keep coming back in the deleted folder.

16. For series recorded shows I would like an option to display oldest ones "first" left to right instead of having the newest recorded show "first" left to right.

17. When watcing TV sometimes you can get stuck in one of the X2 menus like the "guide" for example because the "Exit" button will not return your show to full screen.

If I Think of more I will add them to my list and I hope you guys can also add anything you can think of

I really hope someone from the X2 team will get this info I correct most of if not all of these things before X2 is launched in February 2014!

Thanks

Bronze Star Contributor
xGMANx

So they moved the release date for the X2 to the first quarter instead of late fall? Where did you get this information? Link?
Regular Contributor
joejoejoejoe
Bronze Star Contributor
xGMANx

Thanks! Good move considering the snails pace they work at, to get the bug fixes taken care of.. . Lol. Even then we're sure to see many problems with the X2.
Recognized Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been running the X2 UI on my main DVR box and the two satellite boxes all this past week.  I switched over to it using the Exit Exit 9292 method.  This morning, my main DVR box has switched itself back to the X1 interface but the two satellite boxes are still using X2.  I tried to switch back to X2 on the main DVR using the same Exit Exit 9292, but now nothing happens.  It will not switch back to X2.  Did anyone else have this happen today and does anyone know of any other way to switch the box to X2?

Contributor

So we are stuck with the X1 box that constantly needs rebooting....causing missed shows while we wait to load up again. Not fair.

Contributor
Texasfight1182

I have a question for a comcast rep of there is one reading this. When X2 rolls out in February will we be able to upgrade our boxes to the new boxes the CEO Roberts presented at the forum some time back. He said that they were better equiped to handle the new X2 IP based networked paltform.

Also will Comcast ever allow its customers to purchase the new boxes online and have them shipped to there homes instead of having to either go to an xfinity store and switch out for used boxes or call and have an installer come out?

Thanks and looking forward to the new X2 platform upgrade

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

This post was moved to a secure location because it violates the forum guidelines (language filter circumvention). http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Forum-Guidelines/Posting-Guidelines/td-p/866289

New Visitor
wideopenwestfan

[ Edited ]

I can''t even get an x1 because I don't want their phone service.  I was told I have to get the triple play package even thought  I have 2 premium channels and 3 boxes, two of which are HD.

I guess I have to take my money back to Wide Open West.

Why do  the forum moderators delete my post rather than adress the issue that I have with Comcast?

New Visitor
ditzyblonde

I have been calling to get the upgrated modem since sept 9,why didn't they just tell me that I needed to change to triple play ? Instead these people just wasted alot of my time told me they were sending one out and sent another piece of equip called "Any play" now I have this piece of equip that I can't even use and yet another promise that the upgrated modem will be ship out today..comcast needs to get there customer service to stop lying to the customer..I'm gonna look for other options in my area and comcast can say goodbye to my $130.00 a month..so irate!!

Contributor

I have triple play. It still freezes. What a pain.

New Visitor
rfague

I'm a new customer, got an X1 and another hd box 2 weeks ago. My first dvr lasted a week, the second died 5 minutes after the tech who swapped out the defective dvr left my house.

Called Comcast (again) and I was told that they've had so many problems with the X1 they're no longer offering it to customers! They tried to convince me to wait for X2 but any company that puts customers through what I went through deserves neither my money nor my business.

Long story short, Comcast is out, Dish is installing a Hopper on Monday. I get more channels for the same money, too.

Comcast is trying to rebrand themselves but with garbage like X1, their bad rep is just going to follow them right to Xfinity. No wonder there's so many customer complaints about Comcast/Xfinity!

Contributor
haneybd87

This is ridiculous. They need to get X1 working correctly before they go and try launching something new. This is probably why X1 won't work right, because they're spending time and resources on a new platform.

New Visitor

when will the x2 be available to Tiki Island, texas we never received the x1?

Contributor
hnickm

Is the X1 box IP controllable? Or is that an X2 feature?

Thanks.