New Visitor
azalea4nc

This new on-screen guide really sucks

I have seen posts on the internet of many people like me who really hate this new on-screen guide.  I may have made some things better but overall I think it is worse.  What avenue is available to convince the power that be that they made some major mistakes (think new coke).

Some examples.

I am not paying to watch your advertising. Get rid of the add on the guide and use that 'real estate for useful information.  Overall, we noe only get 4 channels and 1.5 hours of guide at a time.  Thta is worse than before.

You can no longer scroll through all the channels.  If chanells 5, 6, 7, 8 are showing and I scroll up from 5 I get channels 1, 2, 3, 4; not channels 4, 5, 6, 7.  If I wanted 1, 2, 3, 4 I would hit page up.

But the big picture is this, does comcast have a mechanism to fix these lousy features they have forced on us.  I was on the borderline of switching to Dish, this may be the straw that just gets me to move.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: This new on-screen guide really sucks

[ Edited ]

For the Scientific Atlanta / Cisco area's the S25 I-Guide is pretty much a interm guide until Guide 2.0 is released on the Cisco RNG boxes.

See Comcast blog for the latest updates HERE.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

Some info that may be helpful:

The banner ads that are displayed at the bottom of each page in the guide grid are all related to TV content and are designed to aid in discovery of additional content available to you; some of it even free. In future versions of the guide, the ads are much less intrusive.

Something that you may have already discovered (and a tip I will share for others) is that you are able to skip through the ads in the guide (as in not land on them) by using the Page Up or Page Down key on your remote control while browsing the TV listings grid.

You are also able to modify the listings grid to show 5 channels at one time (the same as the previous guide). Press the Menu button on your Comcast silver remote control twice, choose Set Up from the on-screen menu, then Guide Set Up, scroll down to the Grid Cell Height option and change Double Height (the default) to Single Height.

This new guide is just one step of a multi-step process of improvements, enhancements and new features for our customers using Cisco and Scientic-Atlanta branded cable boxes. You should expect to see additional improvements this year. The path for future features and quick innovation is through this new guide - features that a majority of our customers have been asking for and features that are already available in the majority of Comcast areas. The main reason why we are implementing this on-screen guide change is to be able to deliver additional features and services to all of our customers a lot quicker.

Some examples of these future features include Caller ID to the TV, myDVR Manager (scheduling your DVR via your phone or from the internet) and AnyRoom DVR.

There are many benefits of the new guide that I think our customers will discover over time and additional use. For example, we have heard directly from many customers that they now appreciate the new search feature - plus the layout, speed and responsiveness of the new On Demand menu. There are many other improvements included in this guide, including multiple favorites list, additional channel grids, parental lock by title, local weather and much more.

This guide matches most of the feature set and functionality that the majority of our customers already have and have had for some time. It is a standardized look and software code base that we can build on to deliver more features quickly.

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

ComcastTeds wrote: ... It is a standardized look and software code base that we can build on to deliver more features quickly.

You used a lot of words to say "this update is for Comcast's benefit, not the customer's".

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

I see you may have missed or glossed over some of the the customer benefits....

The main reason why we are implementing this on-screen guide change is to be able to deliver additional features and services to all of our customers a lot quicker.

Some examples of these future features include Caller ID to the TV, myDVR Manager (scheduling your DVR via your phone or from the internet) and AnyRoom DVR.

There are many benefits of the new guide that I think our customers will discover over time and additional use. For example, we have heard directly from many customers that they now appreciate the new search feature - plus the layout, speed and responsiveness of the new On Demand menu. There are many other improvements included in this guide, including multiple favorites list, additional channel grids, parental lock by title, local weather and much more.

The next guide release for Scientific-Atlanta branded cable boxes is expected to start being available over the summer. The team is also working to deliver that product sooner.

The software version will change slightly but the guide will look very similar to what you already have on those cable boxes.

Some of the features that are expected to be included in the summer release are listed below

myDVR Manager:

From the internet and the Xfinity TV app, customers can: set recordings, view/modify scheduled recordings, view completed recordings, modify series priority lists, etc.
http://xfinity.comcast.net/mydvr/how-to/

Caller ID to the TV See who's calling, right from your TV and PC! Comcast Universal Caller ID takes the guesswork out of incoming calls. http://www.comcast.net/callerid

HSN Shop-by-Remote: A convenient, new way to make HSN purchases simply by using your remote. http://www.comcast.net/newguide/iTV_Guide_Shop-By-Remote_0110.pdf

Request for Info: Know more, save more! Introducing an easy way to request valuable coupons and info from advertisers simply by using your remote.

http://www.comcast.net/newguide/iTV%20Guide%20Request%20For%20Information.pdf

Ready Remind and Ready Record: Now you can conveniently set program reminders or recordings directly from certain TV show and movie advertisements.
http://www.comcast.net/newguide/iTV%20Guide%20Ready%20Remind%20Record.pdf

Xfinity TV Application: The ability to use your iPad to change channels.
http://www.xfinity.com/help/internet/mobile-tv-app/

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

[ Edited ]

And to be honest one great customer benefit to the new guide would be

1.The option to customize the guide to show only the channels that the customer subscribes to and then when they use the channel up and down button only get those channels.

I realize that it works to Comcast's benefit to show all available channels to let customers see what is on other channels they don't get and hopefully the customer upgrades.

But most people that are savvy enough can search that info out for themselves. Many customers just want the ability to view the channels they pay for.

Face it the tv sets most people own have more controls for this function, and others, then the cable boxes. In my eyes that makes the boxes dumber than my one tv set that is older than some of the models of STBs that Comcast may still have in their inventory in some areas. I can personalize my tv experience better with the tv settings than the boxes. I know we need them.

But than again if it is just for encryption put filters back on the lines and let the user use their tv. But with boxes tv makers may not need to put tuners in the tvs?

For arguement in my personal case

At present our area doesn't offer phone service.. guide feature useless

HSN Shop by Remote....really????? I know the shopping people will love it but there could be some better use of the guide then this, isn't there?????????

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

Thanks for the feedback.

Contributor

The dark colors are extremely hard on old eyes.  The guide is not as user friendly as the old one.  I just hate that Comcast keeps changing things and ALWAYS makes them worse. 

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

astikali

You can change the guide colors. Press Menu to get the Main Menu, then Setup, then Guide Setup, then look for colors.

There are some lighter colors available that should help.

New Visitor
campbellnomura

Being able to show just the channels in my package would be great.

I try to get around this by creating a "Favorites" list that lists all my channels I receive... but to browse, I have to hit Menu/Favorites/List01/ then browse. This is 3-clicks just to get to the list I want to look at.

Anyone come up with a good way to have a favorites list be your "default" list? Or another suggestion?

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

ComcastTeds wrote: I see you may have missed or glossed over some of the the customer benefits....

No, I just didn't count the ones that haven't been delivered yet. Why do you think you can take credit for those? Despite what the Marketing department might think, saying "we did it" doesn't make it done.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

I was referring to these features and improvements which have been delivered:

For example, we have heard directly from many customers that they now appreciate the new search feature - plus the layout, speed and responsiveness of the new On Demand menu. There are many other improvements included in this guide, including multiple favorites list, additional channel grids, parental lock by title, local weather and much more.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

ComcastTeds

Is local weather based on the weather at a headend? I know that when I had Digital Prefered the WeatherScan(?) channel was based on the headend location. For me that is over 90 miles away. Weather can be different over that range. While nice it is relevent depending on location of readings.

I still think that if the customer is allowed the option of making the channel up and down button channel scan when using that button customisable by removing unwanted channels from the list it is easier to use than multiple favorites list. I have used them. Lots of moves to get to them. Why bother? The use for this would be for a family that would let family members set up their own favorites. That makes sense. Would there be way to keep the favorites function and still create the function of removing channels from the list when using the channel up/down button? I mean on one tv I can set up 5 Favorites and still remove channels from the channel up/down button function. I can still enter those channel numbers from the keypad if I was really wanting to see what is on QVC.

Search function is good to have. Especially since paper copies of tv listings are pretty much a thing of the past, and if available are limited. Also faster to use the onscreen guide search than going to the online listing.

Don't get me wrong. I understand the need for Comcast to standardize the guide across their markets. But there is always room for improvement. Especially since my old SA guide was smart enough to know what channels I was subscribed to and only showed those channels when I used the up/down button. No Favorite but I didn't need to scan through 30 un-subscribed channels if I was just browsing.

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

ComcastTeds wrote: I was referring to these features and improvements which have been delivered:

For example, we have heard directly from many customers that they now appreciate the new search feature - plus the layout, speed and responsiveness of the new On Demand menu. There are many other improvements included in this guide, including multiple favorites list, additional channel grids, parental lock by title, local weather and much more.

OK, thanks for those.

Have you also "have heard directly from many customers that they now appreciate" the in-your-face banner ads in the Guide? How's the feedback running on those? 10 to 1 against? 100 to 1 against?

The banner ads are perhaps the most obviously new thing about this version of the Guide. And despite the unbelievable statement above that these "are designed to aid in discovery of additional content", their primary purpose is to make money for Comcast, is it not?

How is the feedback running on features that were removed from this version of the Guide? Are customers getting a lot of benefit from the DVR bugs that were introduced?

I stand by my statement that the new Guide benefits Comcast far more than it benefits Comcast's customers.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

Commanguy - The local weather in the guide is currently configured to the headend level to a nearby NWS or NOAA weather reporting station.

In future versions of the guide, we have plans to make that more granular or even as a configurable option by the customer.  What geographical area are you located in? I can check on the NWS or NOAA site that is currently assigned to your area.

Having an optional channel view of only the channels that you are subscribed to is also on the list of possible enhancements, I know that the previous SARA guide offered that as the default.

We have incorporated many of our customer’s suggestions into enhancements and improvements in On-Screen Guide 2.0 which is already available to customers using Cisco branded cable boxes in Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Mississippi, Tennessee and parts of Louisiana.

On-Screen Guide 2.0 is currently only available with a subscription to AnyRoom DVR. Some details, a user guide and screen shots of this new guide are available at the link below:

http://www.xfinity.com/onscreenguide2

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

BruceW -

Ads are everywhere in most all products and businesses (magazines, movie theaters, newspapers, even my monthly train pass has an ad on it) and help to subsidize the associated recurring editorial and programming costs. Something that you may have already discovered (and a tip I will share for others) is that you are able to skip through the ads in the guide (as in not land on them) by using the Page Up or Page Down key on your remote control while browsing the TV listings grid.

The banner ads are much less intrusive in future versions of the guide. The ads in the guide have been part of the majority (over 83%) of our customer's experience for well-over 5 years. I can understand and appreciate that you don't like the ads. We only run ads for TV related programming and a lot of the ads are for free on demand content .And yes, believe it or not, the ads actually work to drive awareness, content discovery and On Demand usage and revenue.

You won't see ads for retail products, restaurants, car dealers etc. - only for linear TV or On Demand features. Clicking on the ad and watching the On Demand program is certainly optional.

Some other links below you may find of interest for background on the guide ads:

http://www.comcastspotlight.com/advertising-solutions/interactive-technologies/i-guide-advertising

http://www.multichannel.com/article/468292-Kerekes_Sky_s_the_Limit_for_Xfinity.php

Customer satisfaction levels for this new guide are up based on independent third-party phone, in-person and internet surveys with customers that used to have the previous guide and have had this new guide for 60 days. 

Also, On Demand usage is significantly up (both free and transactional programs) as is the number of cable boxes deployed in SA-Cisco homes (as compared to the previous guide) 

As with all of our new products, I can tell you that we have tested this guide (using an independent research firm) with real customers in Scientific Atlanta areas in multiple markets and also received much direct feedback on usability.

We also now have this guide (or a very similar version of this guide) now in over 26 million Comcast cable boxes across the country. Many other cable companies use this same guide.

We continue to do extensive testing and customer research on our on-screen program guides. We are always working to improve the look and add new features that are valuable. Customer feedback is very valuable and is an ongoing process. Thanks for sharing yours.

A lot of improvements are apparent in our new On-Screen Guide 2.0 which is already available in many areas (Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Mississippi, Tennessee and parts of Louisiana)

More information on that guide is available here: http://www.xfinity.com/onscreenguide2

We appreciate your feedback and can appreciate your concerns.

Contributor

Well I don't have any guides like you have pictures of.  I have a thick guide with all kinds of junk on it and 5 hard to scroll lines.  When you hit the last one, it scrolls to the next 5.  Daughter is lucky to have Cablevision and they have a great one.  I do wish Cablevision would come here.  I HATE the new Xfinity.  I need a college course to try and figure out how to do things.  For seniors, directions on how to do things is lacking.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Comcast Teds.

I can get the local NWS weather on the Internet. I figured it was set up for the local headend. Not a big deal. I don't use the guide weather link that often. Just checked it out a couple of times since it was added.

Also the only box I need to use right now is not always in the same room I am in a times during the day so on the other tvs without boxes I can't use it anyway.

For now the internet link works fine for me.

New Visitor
ScottB1701

ComcastTeds-

So love the tutorial page on version 2 of the Guide in the link you provided...

You know it is funny...I have gone to CES in vegas the past two years...and have seen Comcast there showing off all sorts of new boxes and integration products...Yet I have not seen one new interface offering for me here in Atlanta??  I am still using a TIVO box with Cable Cards because your DVR's are so bad...

We have had promises over the years to include "TIVO" software on our Motorola boxes...which never happened, etc...etc...

So what gives??  If your R&D folks can think it up...why can't it get implemented??  I am trying to decide if I need to replace my older TIVO with a new one...is anything new REALLY on the horizon from Comcast as far as DVR's with true multi-room content delivery / home networking??

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

astikali wrote:

Well I don't have any guides like you have pictures of.  I have a thick guide with all kinds of junk on it and 5 hard to scroll lines.  When you hit the last one, it scrolls to the next 5.  Daughter is lucky to have Cablevision and they have a great one.  I do wish Cablevision would come here.  I HATE the new Xfinity.  I need a college course to try and figure out how to do things.  For seniors, directions on how to do things is lacking.

Hello Astikali - you likely have the on-screen guide pictured at the link below::

http://xfinity.comcast.net/meetyourguide/

There are some good overviews and how-to's at that site that may be helpful to you.

You are able to modify the listings grid to show 5 channels at one time (the same as the previous guide). It sounds as though you may have already made that change. But for others, here is how to do that - Press the Menu button on your Comcast silver remote control twice, choose Set Up from the on-screen menu, then Guide Set Up, scroll down to the Grid Cell Height option and change Double Height (the default) to Single Height.

New Visitor
gp42

[ Edited ]

I'm sure this is posted somewhere, but I'm a new Comcast customer in Seattle area...

Why are there multiple versions of the guide? Is it due to the different boxes in the field?

If so, I understand different boxes which I imagine is to help with manufacturing issues, but I'm not sure why Comcast would put out a new guide for some and not for others. Pretty bad experience as you can see here. Took me awhile to figure out that there actually were two different guide paths. Don't put out boxes that can't handle the latest/greatest.

I have the older guide (not the better looking 2.0 that the markets you listed out have) and am incredibly unimpressed having come from FiOS.

You probably didn't need my feedback, but just curious if my suspicions are correct (two different paths) so I can evaluate my options in the future. I should add that I really dig the online experience as well is iPhone app. However, user experience across the board is everything... The main experience (tv) is severly lacking.

New Visitor
right75

I just have 3 days with comcast , and imgoing back to my dish network

comcast  guide, and favorite are really suckkkkkk, learn from dish network, they have agood guide

New Visitor
right75

can you guys copy from  dish network  the tv guide , my favorite guide?, that one it is really good you can adjust the way you want , you can removing the screen, , and be able to see the channel LOGO, and remove the on deman  from the guide , please ,and  every time  you turn on the tv you custom list is there, i dont need  to press 3 times  in order to get the  favorite channel list

New Visitor
PleaseDDS

Comcast you really need to allow the 'Guide' button, without having to go through the hassle of using the favorites list, to filter out the channels you don't get.  Not having this as a part of your cable box is just really dissappointing.  Whoever is running your marketing department that thinks its better to show everyone all the channels all the time so they'll want to upgrade is really a horrible person.

As far as I can tell from everyone I know, if they can afford more they get more. But most people who don't get more channels can't afford more channels so you're just making them angry that they have to sift through things they can't get it.  Business is business, but this is sad and it costs you customers.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds