Bronze Star Contributor

Tiling on HD channels

I turned on the TV this morning and tuned to ABC HD (Channel 431 -- Comcast Broward County, FL). What I found was that the picture was titled to the point where it couldn't be watched and the sound was cutting in and out. I then went and checked all the other HD channels and found that they were working. Also, while watching Nat Geo HD (Ch 413) there is periodic tiling that flashes on the screen.

If someone from Comcast is viewing this, can these channels be fixed?

New Visitor

Re: Tiling on HD channels

I am having the same problem.  Last weekend it was on all of the local HD stations through Comcast.  I chatted with a tech rep online and they sent a tech out to replace the box.  I was still having the problem but on other channels last night.  I often get tiling as well as sound cut out.  I am not sure if this is equipment failure or just the degraded quality people talk about since Comcast compresses and downgrades their HD.  Anyone know?

Thanks,

Jim

Bronze Star Contributor

The tiling issues have not gone away, and what is frustrating is that whenever a technician comes over to check out the signal levels, everything is found to be satisfactory. When I report the issue through online chat, all that can be done is reset the box (which now supposedly may cause a loss of DVR data), and then they schedule an appointment for a technician to come out. The box has been replaced a few times, but it doesn't stop the tiling issue from coming back.

The tiling issue I had on ABC HD seemed to only last about two hours, but now I see periodic tiling on NatGeo HD and now FX HD. I'd have to say that this tiling has to be a result of the compression being used -- I don't know what else is causing this.

Visitor

I used to have the problem and it was a power leveling issue.  It never really got solved until a COMCAST Tech put a power amplifier on my inside line.  It took a few different techs coming out to finally solve the problem.  I used to also have an issue with it taking a long time for channels to swtich on occassion.  That also went away after the power amplifier was added.
Contributor

Me too (in California).  Namely, ESPN (HD), NATGEO (HD), TBS (HD) and even on Fox & CBS during the NFC & AFC Championship games??? In other words, a good portion of prime HD channels!

Service is coming out onWednesday- and Comcast says the same 'ol "mabye need to change out your brand new HD receiver".  :smileyhappy:

Contributor

THE PROBLEM MUST HAVE SPREAD TO MY AREA NOW. I EVEN HAD A TECH HERE THIS MORNING. HE CLAIMED THE PROBLEM WAS AN IMPROPER SPLITTER AND WIRED WRONG. I DONT KNOW WHY, THE TV WAS WORKING FINE THE WAY IT WAS FOR AROUND 5 YRS. HE MADE THE CHANGES AND LEFT ME WITH THE EXACT SAME TILING PROBLEM I HAD BEFORE HE GOT HERE.

Visitor

Ok.  So I see that other people are having this issue with HD 431 ABC.... I also see that there is the constant "tech comes out.. tech doesn't fix" I just got off the phone with this same issue. The customer service that I talked to wanted to send a tech out and charge me for him to come out. She said that the box might be bad (WE DON'T HAVE A BOX!) We have a card! If the box / card was really bad... don't you think that it would be more than just 1 channel?  ANYWAY.. I canceled the Tech because from what I am seeing from the posts on here.. it is a waste of time.... AND MONEY!  I looked up on Radio Shack for the digital (RG6 amplifier) and it is only 14.99. I am going to get me this first and try it. if it works.. I will let you know (much cheaper than having a tech come out). Thanks for the information.. I will update my post and let you know how this worked! WISH ME LUCK!

Oh yea.. is COMCAST even reading these posts?  I mean the tech seemed to be totaly unaware that this might even be an issue!

Bronze Star Contributor

The tiling issues for me are still ongoing, and sadly, is still not resolved. A tech recently came out to my house and first checked the equipment room. For the first time since the tiling began, a signal quality issue was detected -- the signal levels showing on the test equipment was below the standard level. That was just a brief occurrence and for the next five minutes or so that the tech was watching the signal strength on the test equipment, everything was fine.

As far as the tiling goes, what is happening now is just short bursts of tiling. I mainly have it isolated to two channels, which incidently, are on two DIFFERENT frequencies. In order to catch this random, one second or less tiling burst, you have to go to one of the affected channels and then sit in front of the TV and watch for it to happen. When I call one of the several Comcast contacts that I have, they always ask "what time frame is this happening." I would say that it happens in the afternoon, so then they come over in the afternoon and look the signal levels and everything is fine, but then later that same day like late afternoon to early evening, the tiling comes back. With it being random in terms of time of day and with the tiling not being constant, it's really making it difficult to determine if the problem is with the equipment or something at the head end.

The problem is that I can't produce this tiling effect when the techs are here. I am wondering now if this is maybe an issue with the TV or if it still remains with the cable. In some situations, the tiling is occurring with motion on the TV.

Visitor

Ok.. UPDATE... I got an amplifier.. the problem channel (431) stays at 44 45 in signal strengh. the amplifier does not change the signal strength. All the other HD channels however....show improved stength with the amplifier. :smileycry:

New Visitor

[ Edited ]

I have experienced tiling off and on for over 4 years in the Atlanta (Norcross) area. Several times the techs came out replaced amps and connections.  The best results were obtained when they hooked up a monitor and watched the feed direct from the street and then traced it back.  My personal opinion is that we are all suffering from cheap corporate fiscal accounting.  Comcast (and the other cable providers) have a huge installed infrastructure that was based upon the cutting edge digital technology of 2000.  They have upgraded the main distribution equipment - but the routers at the street level can't keep up.  In my opinion the majority of tiling issues are not related to any deficiencies with the residence.  Just my .02.

-- Chuck 

Message Edited by ctc170 on 02-13-2009 05:38 PM