Visitor

Tivo DVR constantly rebooting

A couple of days ago, our Tivo DVR started rebooting itself. Then it shows the 8888's, the dots.... of downloading something. When it finally comes up TV shows for a few seconds or minutes but the Tivo is dead, not recording, no guide, no Welcome to Tivo screen... you can not change channels or invoke any Tivo functions. Then.... reboot and it all starts again.

We tried unplugging it for 10 seconds, half an hour, etc. No go.... any idea? The cable technician won't be here until next week... no TV.... ouch...

Please help

Ricardo

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: Tivo DVR constantly rebooting

Is this a real TiVo or TiVo software in a Motorola box? 
Visitor

This is a Motorola, Comcast Tivo. Our second unit already... I am desperate for help.

thankzzz

Ricardo 

Regular Problem Solver

It's possible it may have encountered an error while downloading updated software/firmware and cannot reset itself back to the original software/firmware.  The box may need a full software/firmware reset to correct the issue.  On the moto boxes with i-guide, you can reset the box by do this.  I'm not sure if the steps are valid for boxes configured for tivo.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

You might try posting on the AVS Comcast TiVo Forum.
Visitor

You guys are awesome, I think the full reset/load firmware and load software again will work, which will preserve my settings and old programs. Since it may take 2 hours we'll do it in a couple of hours. Right now we are cleaning the house and at least watching/hearing a little bit of TV for a couple of minutes every now and then helps.

thank you all!!!!

Ricardo

New Visitor

ok, i have a dvr that is not a tvio will that reset my box as well? My box starting reseting itself last monday on it's on the screen says booting then some numbers. The tv will start then then shut off tv has been soing this every 30mins or less
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

See this.  The Wiki book was actually written for non-TiVo Motorola DVRs, so it should apply to you.  It sounds like you may need a new DVR, though. 
Visitor

Sorry guys, after reading the postings suggested, it seemed like the full reset/erase or full download of firmware would work. I had seen some of the messages displayed on my tivo, such as the 'n dl" which downloads all the firmware from scratch. But the tivo software has changed, and the instructions did not work. I have played with the diagnostics screen and stuff but no go.

I think the HD is just fried and that is why it can't fix itself. Oh well. Another week without TV.....

But thank you all, you were great help and hope.

Ricardo