Contributor
jamjar42
Accepted Solution

Tivo & Cablecard

[ Edited ]

I'm having problems with my cable card and comcast support seems about as useful as a box of door knobs. 

The problem is that my Cable Card is showing AUTH: MP instead of AUTH: S

According to what I can find online, AUTH: MP means " Indicates that a message that is supposed to be in the activation stream coming from the cable provider Headend is missing."  

Should this not be an issue which can be handled without having to send a technician out? Nobody seems willing to look into it past "Oh we sent a pairing signal, that didn't work so we'll have to send someone out."

I've been on the phone with several different people, disconnected several times so I've had to call back in and go through the whole troubleshooting thing multiple times I'm getting quite irritated. 

Has anyone else had this? or know what needs to be done to resolve it?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: Tivo & Cablecard

Next step would be to contact Comcast's cable card hotline at 1-877-405-2298.  Talk to those guys about it.

Contributor
jamjar42

[ Edited ]

I have, they just keep trying to send hits to the card but it doesn't do anything to resolve the issue. 

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Then take them up on sending out a tech since nothing else works for you.

Contributor
jamjar42

I guess what bugs me is that they don't seem to care about finding out what the problem is, they just try to pair it and ask me if I can get the channels.  Nope. Oh well. nothing else we can do. 

TiVo support told me that it is paired but that it's just not authorized for the channels. They want to send someone out but that's pretty inconvienent for me to have to take a day from work for something that people around the forums say is usually resolved by getting lucky and getting someone on tech support that knows what they're doing. 

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

In many area's techs run 7 days a week until 7pm, so for many that would not affect work schedules.

The Cable card hotline resolves most issues that normal CSR's can't.  All you can do is try another time and get anther cable card guy on the phone.

Recognized Contributor
tbonecopper

[ Edited ]

Comcast intentionally makes the lives of those who want to use a CableCard difficult. Trust me. 

The error your CableCard is giving means something at the headend with the cablecard provisioning system isn't entered correctly. The card is paired to the TiVo - but it's not paired with the comcast cablecard authentication system. 

Sending  hit after hit (aka the refresh signal) to the card will do nothing, as you've seen. Essentially, you need to get into a level of comcast support beyond tier 1. The last time I had this error, I had to go from Tier 1 support (e.g. the people who you initially talk to) - to Tier 2, then they sent a ticket to engineering. This was AFTER I had to exchange three or four cable cards, and had multiple techs and a supervisor out at my home, to no avail.

The ticket to engineering finally shook someone enough to realize "OHHHH We have to do <this> and push enter!" and it worked fine after that. 

It will take you some persistance, but I promise you, it's an error at Comcast's end. They hate the cable cards because they're cheaper than a cable box, so they make it hard. Don't give into them, and don't give up! 

From the tivo forums
"MORAL OF THE STORY:
If you are only getting the encrypted channels, and it says "Auth: MP" in the conditional access screen, then your card information is not entered correctly in the computer. Call comcast tell them to completely take all the pairing and card information off your account. Then have them re-enter the card pairing information (from the "pairing" screen in the cable card menu). Make sure they enter the Cable Card ID, Host ID, and Data ID into the correct fields, and then have them repeat the numbers back to you. *Make sure they are not entering the cable card SERIAL number into the cable card ID slot (from my experience they didn't even need the serial number). When all that's entered, have them send out an initialization hit. If they say they are getting errors, tell them to ignore them and continue "just to see what happens" if they refuse, tell them you talked to the Tivo support people and this is what they told you to do (ignore the error). Verify ALL your channels work. GOOD LUCK " 

Edit 2: If the cable card is entered into the system correctly, the type of hit that should be sent from their system is called a INIT HIT 

Contributor
jamjar42

Yeah, I've tried telling them about all these things.. they don't care. They think a tech needs to come out and basically refuse to do anything else until that happens.. Someone is supposed to be here today sometime between 9 and 11.. it's 10 and I've not heard anything from them.  Sounds like I might be getting a free month of service. It was only after I called and made a fuss that they finally said they could get someone out today instead of making me wait another week. 

I've never had issues with them like this before, they've always been helpful and quick to respond to any problems.  I've even went so far as to commend them while others were complaining. Saying that I always had fast internet and never had any problems with my cable.. specifically citing the times that I've dealt with their technicians who came out when I bought my house and ran a new drop from the pole because I wasn't getting good enough signal for my internet. I guess I see why everyone else dislikes them now.

Seriously, Comcast, get it together.  

Contributor
jamjar42

Just thought I'd poste an update.. 

Comcast finally got a guy out here. He came in, checked the signal strength (it was fine), made a phone call and after waiting on hold on the phone for a minute or two all my channels came on. Imgaine that. There was no problem here after all.. 

If only Comcast would have known that it wasn't an issue on my end and that something wasn't set right in their system somewhere.. Oh.. that's right..  I told them, told everyone I spoke to.  I tried to get them to look into it just to see if someone could fix it instead of making me wait for almost 2 weeks for someone to make a phone call and get it fixed.  An issue that COULD have been fixed in a matter of minutes if only I could have gotten through to someone who could do anything.

I even sent we_can_help a detalied email expressing my dissatisfaction and explained that I would like for someone to look into the issue further. I did receive contact from their corporate office but they didn't offer to help in any way except to esclate my issue with the local office so the tech would make sure they were here on time. He wasn't. 

Your customer support system is flawed, Comcast. You might want to fix it.