Contributor

Transfer saved programs from one HD-DVR to another

[ Edited ]

My present Comcast-furnished HD-DVR is getting full. I understand that Comcast now has higher capacity units. I would like to save at least some of the programs I have recorded in HD format. Is there any way I can transfer stored programs from one HD-DVR to another? Or to an external hard drive and then reload from the hard drive into the new HD-DVR?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: Transfer saved programs from one HD-DVR to another

The Comcast DVR would only be able to play to a external DVD recorder, PC capture device or tape.  You can't transfer the recordings directly to a external drive or another Comcast DVR.  There is no way to directly copy off the DVR recording files from the drive.

Contributor

Basically, isn't the HD-DVR stoarage device just a conventional hard drive surrounded by some software to control the DVR? If that is so, is it Motorola or Comcast that has written the software to prevent copying the bits from one hard drive to another and back? It seems to be very difficult to get good technical information on this subject. At least, as indicated by my other post, I found that I can record from the HD-DVR to my stand alone Panasonic DVD recorder and make acceptable, non-HD recordings of material I want to save in non-HD format and then take the original off the DVR.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

The studios have a big interest in you not being able to make exact digital copies for playing or sharing.  Usually any DVR with a extender drive can't be moved to another source, the drives are "married" and you can't move between devices.

There are a few solutions for HD transfers including the firewire port on many set top boxes, or using a Hauppauge HD DVR box which will accept component output of the set top box or DVR.  Tivo owners also have pc software to move the mpeg2 files from the Tivo HD DVR to the pc to be stored and watched.

Contributor

Commercial interests intrude on the consumer being able to use one's toys for one's personal, non-commercial use. They invent all these cool toys, then they limit their use. Bad!

Contributor
eZAK

Before swaping out my DCT6412,

I needed to remove some shows I had recorded.

I ran component cables from the 6412 to an older Toshiba DVR with a hard drive.

Set the Toshiba to record from input then played the shows from the 6412.

Makes a great 1:1 recording in 1:1 time.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

That sounds good, but I don't have an old DVR. There should be a way to copy the hard drive from my HD-DVR, to a basic external hard drive, but it seems that either Motorola or Comcast are restricting this feature. Who's the culprit? I am still looking for a work-around.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

The only way to transfer the programs from the DVR to another device is to play them in real time and output them via the active DVR ports to comparable ports on the other device.

Contributor

I have successfully  done that from the HD-DVR to a Panasonic DVD recorder. But the quality is degraded, of course. I would like to just transfer the bits from the DVR hard drive to a conventional hard drive, then get a higher capacity DVR and transfer the bits into the new DVR and preserve the high definition. Isn't the HD-DVR hard drive just an ordinary hard drive  controlled by some internal software in the DVR? If that's the case, someone's software, Comcast or Motorola, is preventing me from doing what should be easy. Who is the culprit? Either no one knows or no one is willing to answer.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

You cannot transfer the files.  The best you can do is use the firewire port for the replay.  The owners of the intellectual properties will not allow the bit for bit transfer of HD files.

New Visitor
stevek177

How can I save programs from my HD-DVR to an external hard drive?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

You can't transfer shows directly to a hard drive.  The recordings must be transfered real time playback to a video capture card in a PC, or a unit like a Hauppauge HD-PVR then transfered to a hard drive in a PC for playback.  The HD-PVR does record HD signals from the Comcast DVR with component cables.

Contributor

I don't understand why Comcast wouldn't support taking your current Comcast DVR to their office and having them do the transfer to a replacement unit.

There is no technical reason that this couldn't be done. To me it would make good business sense to support customers who want to upgrade or especially those who have a failure with their DVR and need a replacement.