New Visitor
wr10

Transfering DVR recordings to my computer

Transfering DVR recordings to my computer.

I moved from one town which used the Motorola DCH3416 (Fall River, MA) to the next town Swanwsea. The HD DVR does not work in Swansea and they game me a new box.  I have lots of recorded programs in the original Motorola that I want to watch and save but it does not work in Swansea. How can I see and or record the saved programs that are now off the air (old shows from the 1960's no longer available on demand, etc.)?  Can I connect it to a computer or record them to a DVD recorder?

New Visitor
hicksgt1

Re: Transfering DVR recordings to my computer

Can I use the usb connection on the back of my cable box to transfer a DVR recorded program to my computer?

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

Re: Transfering DVR recordings to my computer

There are basically only 2 ways to copy from the DVR to another device. Both analog and digital could end up blocked due to copy protection codes encoded in the digital data, and even the analog signal.

Use the analog outputs to a video input. This will usually be limited to SD.

Use the FireWire (IEEE1394) output. You CANNOT directly access the DVR's drive. The best you can do is play in real-time, controlling the DVR as normal with the remote or it's front panel. Basically the FireWire is just another digital video output.