Contributor

USB Ports on Motorola DCH3416 Cable Receiver

My Motorola DCH3416 Cable Receiver which  came with our Comcast
Digital Cable service subscription has two USB ports, one on the  front and one on the back.  I would like to know what these ports are for, and services are available from Comcast using
these ports.  [The Motorola DCH3416  Operations Manual, which I downloaded from the Internet, says that the  services available from these ports depend on the "service provider"  (which of course is Comcast)].  Thanks, Bill, Annapolis, Maryland
Regular Problem Solver
Murphy

Re: USB Ports on Motorola DCH3416 Cable Receiver

They have power on them but are otherwise disabled.

Recognized Contributor

You can charge your cell phone or PS3 controller....lol, :smileyhappy:they don't do anything.
Contributor

I'm sure Motorola put them there for a reason.  But I guess Comcast doesn't see fit to use them for anything.  It would be nice if they could be used to connect an external hard drive to increase the storage capacity of recorded programs.
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

It would really be nice if the eSATA ports were active.  The firewire is, and I've used it to save programs on a PC (not sure if it still works).
Recognized Contributor

I agree, that would be great, Dish Network allows this, they do charge a one time fee to activate the port, but no one seemes to mind to much....heck even now you can turn your non-dvr Dish Netowk box into a DVR with a one time fee and no monthly charge,
New Visitor

Would like to see the Comcast rep that monitors this forum to provide comment.  To confirm if the port is active or not, and it not, why? 
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

philynne wrote:
Would like to see the Comcast rep that monitors this forum to provide comment.  To confirm if the port is active or not, and it not, why? 

The USB ports are not active, other than power.  They probably aren't active because the firmware in the boxes has no current use for them.

New Visitor

I understand they are not active but this is due to Comcast not providing the firmware that supports the ports that are provided with the Motorola unit.  Other cable companies do enable these ports.  My question is why does Comcast not enable these ports (eSATA, US:smileycool:?
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

philynne wrote:
...My question is why does Comcast not enable these ports (eSATA, US:smileycool:?

My answer is that I don't know -- but they don't.  Perhaps they fear that if they activated them then people would try to use them and they'd have one more thing to go wrong on the box.  :smileymischief: