Contributor
Reed4Richards
Accepted Solution

Universal Remotes compatible with DTA

Has anyone had success with a universal learning remote that works with the digital adapter (DTA30) boxes?

Recognized Contributor
Sevebp

Re: Universal Remotes compatible with DTA

There are very few commerical remotes that work with any DTA box as they use a new technology and your typical universal remote will NOT WORK with DTA boxes because of Comcast and PACE technology have an exclusive agreement to offer in my opinion which forces customers to pay more for so called Digitial technology ( the funny thing is the DTA boxes are not digital boxes they just convert a digital signal to older televisions)  Take this DTA box for free or a $3,00 montly fee or get a Comcast DVR and pay an additional $40 for the DVR service and box rental.  The new techology in these DTA boxes/remotes is  XPM IR protocol

I found one by  All For One remotes by Universal Electronics  ( model # URC10820 )  which you can find at Sears, some Radio Shacks, Walmart and on Amazon,  The remote cost about $60  and it a lot better than the one offered by Comcast if you want  to also operate your DVD player or other devise. If you follow the money All For One developed the XPM IR protocol so it looks like Comcast PACE and All For One/Universal Electronics are all out to make a fast buck.

I hope this helps. 

Steve

Contributor
Reed4Richards

Thanks Sevebp,  that's what I was afraid of.  I contacted Comcast support and they claim that their new XR2 remote (with the R2 software) will work with their DTA boxes.  Does anyone know this to be true?  Since it's "free" to swap out remotes, I'm thinking of just trying it out.

Contributor
Reed4Richards

Well, it looks like I answered my own issue.  I happened to have another universal remote laying around (URC-A6 $15 at Amazon) and it works.  The "learning" feature does not, but the three-digit programming to Cisco CableTV box works.

By the way, after another chat with the reps the X2 remote does NOT work with the DTA30.  You need to have equipment/software for their Triple Play.