Regular Contributor
richardsr01
Accepted Solution

Unwanted close caption

Two days ago we began experiencing the equivalent of close captioning on all channels. We cannot make it go away. If we use our TV remote and program for close captioning then we have double wording on the screen. If we turn off cc we still have it albeit more of a flashing thing then readable words. We have worked our remotes to death trying to get rid of it. Please make it go away. You are doing it at the station. We cannot get rid of it at home.
Regular Contributor
richardsr01

Re: Unwanted close caption

I should have added that phone calls are futile. The miserable press one press two thing drives us nuts and gets us nowhere. When we finally get someone we end up getting disconnected////busy tone.
Regular Problem Solver

What kind of cable box do you have?
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

If you have a Motorola box, try this to turn off CC from the box.

To access the video options, you need to go to USER SETTINGS

1. Turn the DVR off.
  2. Press the Menu button on the remote or the front of the DVR.
  3. Toggle the Closed Caption to "Disabled".

Regular Contributor
richardsr01

I have the digital TV box for HD!!!!
Regular Contributor
richardsr01

Let me add a bit of info:

I am on digital (best package) with HD box. My TV remote lets me select input and it also permits me to tell the TV to show closed caption. It does that just fine. If I turn my TV remote to close caption I now have duplicate wording on the screen.

There is nothing on the Comcast remote nor is there anything on the Motorola box that will take the words off the screen. It's driving us nuts. Sometimies the words just flash and often the text is incomplete.

I have tried for hours to get help by telephone from COMCAST....you might as well die the dead. I get disconnected or connected to someone who sounds like they are at the other end of the earth and unitelligible.

We are ready to scream. We cannot read the menus because of words blocking half the screen. Even commercials have wording which they do not have with my normal TV Remote CC.

It has got to be coming from the station. We have no control over it...

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

[ Edited ]
Have you tried my suggestion?  It should turn off the box's CC.
Message Edited by WarEagle57 on 11-08-2008 09:50 PM
Recognized Contributor

richards01 - do the steps WarEagle57 said.. hd and dvr have the same "user settings".. Then select closed captions.. and you will be all set
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

JoeJoe83 wrote:
richards01 - do the steps WarEagle57 said.. hd and dvr have the same "user settings".. Then select closed captions.. and you will be all set

Actually, disable closed captions. 

Regular Contributor
richardsr01

You are no doubt telling me something that will work but I cannot get here from there. How do I shut off DVR. I cannot get the "windows" you are referring to. Please talk this old fellow thru. I assume I click on menu. Then what "setup"? If I click on DVR I do not get an on/off choice... Help please.
Silver Problem Solver
andyross

On the remote, hit the Cable button, then POWER. The cable box should turn off. Hit the MENU button. You will see a text screen. Scroll down to 'CLOSED CAPTION' (a little arrow on the left will move up and down). Hit OK/Select to toggle between ENABLED and DISABLED. Once disabled, hit POWER to turn it off, then POWER again to turn it on normally.

This procedure will work with most all Motorola-based cable boxes, SD, HD, or DVR.

Regular Contributor
richardsr01

Great.  Thank you so very much. It worked.....

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Wow.  That was a tough sell.  :smileycool:
Regular Contributor
richardsr01

Sorry I had so much trouble with it. The problem was turning the box off.....I simply didn't pick up on that...I appreciate everyone's patience...
Service Expert
Queen-Evie

lovestocook, I'm merging the post you made here with your other thread.

New Visitor
jvpj

Thanks for the info Andy... it worked !! You rock dude !!!!