Contributor
Shajama

Upgraded to Digital Preferred but do not get the additional channels on all TVs

Today we upgraded from Digital Starter to Digital Preferred. We have three DIGITAL (flat screen) TV's. We have an HD Comcast DVR on one TV and DTAs on the other TVs. We upgraded becasue we wanted to get the OWN and FoX Soccer channels. We understood that we could only get HD service on the TV with the HD DVR box. However, now we find that on the TVs with the DTAs, we still only get the Digital Starter Package channels.  Everything I have read says that with the DTAs, you cannot get HD or PREMIUM channels like HBO etc... That is fine, however, how can we just get the channels we are paying for in low definition? I called up Comcast and was told that DTAs only give you channels 1-99 which makes no sense since we already get several channels above 100 with our Digital Starter Package. Then we were told that we need to rent two additional set top boxes just to get the low definition Digital Preferred Channels.

When we upgraded to Digital Preferred, we were told we would get ALL the digital preferred channels on all TVs except for HD channels which will only play on the TV with the HD box. Furthermore, I went back and checked the terms and conditions, and all documents included in our package and it only says that HD service requires an HD box. No where do I see anything saying that standard (low def) serrvice also requires rental of a set top box.

Am I misunderstanding this? Does anyone have Digital Preferred without paying for the set top box? Again, we do NOT want or need HD on the other two TVs, but we do want to see the OWN and FoX Soccer Channels which we cannot get even though we are now paying for them. (We do get all the channels advertised on the TV connected to the HD DVR box.)

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: Upgraded to Digital Preferred but do not get the additional channels on all TVs

You will not get all the non-HD channels in your package with the DTAs.

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

Re: Upgraded to Digital Preferred but do not get the additional channels on all TVs

Or, to put it another way, no, DTA's are not capable of receiving Preferred channels, although I have not been able to get an understandable explanation from Comcast of WHY they can't.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

probably because they want you to rent the box and not get the channels for free

Contributor
Shajama

I would have been OK if they told us upfront we would only get the preferred non-HD channels on the TV with the HD Set top box and that we would need to pay for extra set top boxes on the other TVs. Our decision would have been different had we known of the extra cost. (Wwe would not have upgraded our service nor would we have added phone service) As it is, we were led to believe would would get all the prefferred non-HD channels on all our TVs and then were sold the phone service as well to get a better package discount.

We apparently have 30 days to "change our minds" and I think we will have to cancel since we don't want ot incur the extra $200 per year that the two set top rentals would approximately cost. It's all so disappointing because the technician was unable to establish the phone service directly on our in-wall wires (for reasons i do not understand) so he stapled an external wire completely around the house to where our phone service arrives from the street. So, now if we go back to our original services, we will have this ugly phone cable circling our house. We feel we were cheated by not one, but two different sales people who helped us decide on our package.

I still see no writing or documentation stating that the digital preferred channels require a set top box. My wife is planning to copy all our documentation including that from the Xfinity websites and send it to the better business bureau, our congressman and attorney general just so that we can help ourselves get over the feeling of being cheated.....

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

[ Edited ]

all digital channels require a digital box to decode it.   DTA or free digital transition boxes are for old tv's to be to tune the lower level channels after the govt digital switch.  why comcast cannot communicate that is a mystery.

Although it isn't obvious, this forum is generally a customer to customer forum and is not actively monitored by Comcast. Although Comcast employees (their usernames are in red) are often here to help, they may not see your specific post. To get help, you can drop a note to Comcast corporate customer service (we_can_help@cable.comcast.com).

For the quickest response, please include:
Your full name;
Service address;
Phone number & an alternate number if possible;
Account number;
A link to your post.

Contributor
Shajama

Thank you all very much.

Contributor
minningaround

I'm paying for Hd Digital Preferred, have a HDTV, but don't recieve any HD programming even though we DO receive regular low def programming on those HD channels. My box is a Motorola DCH70.

Shouldn't I be recieving HD programming?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

[ Edited ]

A DCH70 is a std def box, you need to exchange it for a HD box at your local Comcast office.

With the new box you will need to connect  the HD box to the TV with either component cables or HDMI.

Your DCH70 doens't have component or HDMI, and using composite video only yields SD picture.

Contributor
minningaround

Great. So the whole time we've been paying for HD and have had the wrong box. God.

And the box was installed by a Comcast tech. Wow. I'll be asking for a refund.

New Visitor
jtpooth

Re: Upgraded to Digital Preferred but do not get the additional channels on all TV's

I recently ordered digital preferred cable for $49.99 a month. I have a HDTV but for some reason, none of my channels including the local channels are not displayed in high definition. I know I didn't pay for HD channels, but shouldn't I at least get high definition for my local channels?

New Visitor
Sal33n

Re: Upgraded to Digital Preferred but do not get the additional channels on all TV's

You need an HD box with HD service to see HD, even the local channels.

Official Employee

And jt I'll add with that HD box hook it up with HDMI or component cable not through coax.