New Visitor
katzpc

Use any DVR with comcast cable service?

Can I use any DVR with comcast/xfinity service, or must I purchase/rent one of their (comcasts) own units?

Regular Problem Solver
Murphy

Re: Use any DVR with comcast cable service?

The only currently available third party DVRs that are supported by Comcast are made by TiVo.

The Series 3, HD, Premier, Premier XL, and Premier XL4 all use cablecards supplied by Comcast.

New Visitor
katzpc

Murphy,

Thanks for that info. I am a PC Tech & am inquiring for a client that I will be doing a job for later today. I don't have any Comcast/DVR firsthand experience so I needed to do some quick research.

I did a quick search & discovered this on Comcasts FAQ page;

"If you choose to use a CableCARD device instead of using a Comcast digital converter or digital adapter, you will only be able to receive one way digital cable channels and will not be able to receive OnDemand, pay-per-view and the interactive programming guide. "

That's kind of a bummer. So if you want to take advantage of PPV, program guide, etc., you are basically forced to buy/lease Comcast's equipment.

Link to the Customer Central CableCARD page -

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/about-cablecards/

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

a tivo has its own guide, but you will not get on demand unless you rent a comcast box.  on demand is just starting to roll out to tivo's in select markets but its going to be a while before its a nationwide program.  right now its in areas or san fran.