Contributor
Harmar

Using Comcast Remote to Select Input Source (DVR, TV, Blu-Ray)

I recently attached blu-ray player to my LCD, and programmed the comcast remote for both by LCD and blu-ray player.  Whenever I turn on the system, it always defaults to the blue-ray player, even when it is powered off.  How do I get the Comcast remote to change input source from the blu-ray player to the LCD?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: Using Comcast Remote to Select Input Source (DVR, TV, Blu-Ray)

The the TV default to the Blu-Ray input when you turn on the TV with the TV's remote?  Even if you have the TV prevously on the input for the set top box.

Contributor
Harmar

Yes

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

You want to turn off the CEC feature on the Blu-Ray, which is a "feature".  The CEC talks between HDMI devices and passes commands back and forth including input settings, on/off among others.

The CEC has different names by different Mfr's.  As an example Sony calls theirs Bravia Sync.  On a typical Sony Blu-Ray you would go into the menu and turn off "control for HDMI" so the TV and Blu-Ray no longer "talk" to each other's control systems.

Once this is off, turning on the TV will no longer turn on the Blu-Ray and select the input on the TV for the Blu-Ray.  The TV should stay on it's last input selected.

Contributor
Harmar

We have Samsung LED and LG blu-ray.  Do you know the specifics of how to make the changes you suggest?  Thank you.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Please post the models and I'll look at the manuals.

Contributor
Harmar

LG BD550 blu-ray

Contributor
Harmar

Samsung LN40C630 LED TV.  Will this solution also allow me to program the Comcast remote for both the Samsung TV and LG Blu-Ray?  If we play a disk on the blu-ray, will we be able to use the Comcast remote to get back to the TV?  I appreciate your evident knowledge and experience . . . it's great to talk with someone who knows what they are talking about.

Contributor
Harmar

Oops - the TV is LCD, not LED.  My mistake.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

The LG Blu-Ray doesn't seem to have a menu item to turn off the Simplink which is what LG calls their CEC funtion.

The TV can have the CEC turned off which is on page 38 of the manual, Samsung calls CEC control Anynet.

anynet.JPG

Here's a link to remote codes for your specific Comcast remote, since there are about 5 different versions.  http://www.urcsupport.com/index.php?mso_id=65

There are some of issues getting many Blu-Ray players working on the Comcast Universal remote, you might or might not find a code that works.

More questions please ask.

Contributor
Harmar

Would an alternative be to replace the HDMI cable on the blu-ray with standard A/V connectors?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

No, the Blu-Ray must use HDMI for playing back in 1080P, that is mandatory for the best picture, and possibly HDCP issues down the road.

Contributor
Harmar

Any potential problems we might run into when we remove CEC from the Samsung TV?  Since the LG blu-ray is new, would it be preferable to exchange it for another manufacturer's blu-ray - e.g., Samsung so it would be the same as the TV?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Go ahead and give it a try with it off, you shouldn't see any major problems.  You can always turn it back on.

If you want to exchange it, check the manual of the new one before you invest.

Any more questions, please post back.