New Visitor
russkemp

Using IR receiver on Comcast HD Cable Box

I want to hide one of my set-top boxes and use an IR receiver cable to receive the remote signal.  The Digital Adapter (small basic cable box) came with a cord for this purpose. It works on the small Digital Adapter but does not work on any of the large set-top cable boxes even though they have the same IR input on the back. I bought another cord that is for this purpose but it will still not work.  Does anyone know if this is even possible?  What cord will work?  I'd appreciate any help on this topic.   

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: Using IR receiver on Comcast HD Cable Box

The IR receiver that comes with the DTA kit only will work on a Pace RNG110, Motorola DCX3200 HD box, or DCX3400 HD DVR.

The older Moto DCT and DCH series boxes do not have IR receiver ports, but IR blaster ports.  I also believe no SA or Cisco boxes have any active IR receiver ports.

There are others that claim the IR receiver has been found to be disabled, so it might work in some markets and not in others to to programming on the boxes.

New Visitor
russkemp

Thanks Jay.  What is the difference between IR receiver and IR blaster?  And does this essentially mean I cannot do what I want to do, which is hide the box and point the remote at some kind of receiver cord?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

[ Edited ]

A blaster is a 2 wire device that transmits the IR signal to a piece of equipment.  As an example would be a older Tivo came with IR blasters to place in front a cable box window so the cable box would change the channel at the right time.  Blasters also came with a few model VCR's in the 90's.

You need a IR receiver that accepts a IR signal like from a remote control and sends it to the equipment over a 3 wire connection.  This would be proper for hiding a cable box.  The box needs to have the 3 wire stereo mini jack specific for a IR receiver.

The cable box must be marked IR receive.

irr.JPG

New Visitor
temp_user

I just received Motorola DCH3200 for my business from Comcast.  Having trouble finding IR Reciever that will work.  Box has a 'serial port' that is a 3.5mm jack.  WIll this work?  Install tech said all other ports are disabled and was unsure about that.  There has to be some way to hide my box and still use it...

Thanks for your time!

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

A DCH3200 doesn't have a IR receiver port, you would need to use a 3rd party repeater system and place the blaster on the front of the box.

New Visitor
ziggy5757

I have a DCH3416 HD Cable Box.  I have a setup where the cable box is in the basement, and uses RCA jacks to transport the signal to a series of TV's, that , "in theory" can all operate off the same remote.  The remote signal is transport via infraed emitters.

I've got the cable signal working, but no action from the remote.  Does the xfinity remote need to be setup in any way to work with this?  Special programming perhaps?

Any ideas?

Thanks