New Visitor
tabitha1958

VCR Recording - Picture but No Sound

The new guide took effect this morning.  I recorded a program last night, played this morning, all is fine.  However, recorded a program today, tried to watch it, but had no sound.  Picture was great though!

Comcast rep said it's my VCR.  I don't think so because when I push the record button on my VCR's remote control, then watch the video, the sound is fine.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Regular Contributor

Re: VCR Recording - Picture but No Sound

Make sure the cable box ( any of the DCT cable boxes not to be confused with the PACE DTA boxes that Comcast issued and are useless) that the volume is up all the way  This can be done with the Comcast remote in the  Cable mode.  You can independently control your television volume using the option on your TV remote.  Sometimes if the cable box volume is down all the way and you record the video is fine but no audio  ( I have experienced this many times) also if you use the mute from the cable box you will not have any audio too.

New Visitor
tabitha1958

Thanks so much for replying.  I tried what you suggested but that didn't work.  However, I found that if I leave the cable box on, the audio is fine with the recordings.  I didn't have to leave the cable box on before, so I don't understand why I would have to leave it on now, but hey, whatever works, right?

So much for the problem being with my VCR.  Glad I didn't go out and buy a new one.

Have a great day!

Regular Contributor

Tabita1958,

I hope keeping the cable box on will solve your problem.  Before the cable boxes  you did not have to worry if your television volumn was  on mute or low but now need to have the cable box on ( what ever color indicator  blue, yellow or green depending on your box should be illuminated) in order to record to a VCR and have both audio and video when you play it back.  It was my discovery when I first got my cable box several years ago  that if the cable box volumn was low or on mute that the audio did not record.  I always keep my cable box on and the cable box volumn up all the way,  I adjust the sound in viewing using my television volumn.

Good luck  and all the best.

Steve

Regular Contributor
PurrSuede

Yes, I'm experiencing this same thing, since the software upgrade was pushed to all the cable boxes.

In the past, I could set the Record function and all would be fine. Suddenly all my recordings now have NO sound recorded. And yes, the sound is up on the cable box itself.

The only way it now properly records the audio portion is to leave the cable box ON.

What gives, Comcast? You've got a bug here, I shouldn't have to leave my cable box on all day and night just to record my favorite shows????

Regular Contributor
PurrSuede

Ok, I read in some other blogs that by turning on the RF BYPASS function on the cable box, it will allow the audio portion to pass through to the recording device along with the video. I will have to experiment and give that a try and report back.

New Visitor
amasciotra

By wy of background I my set up is:

Cable box (Cisco RNG 150) to TV (Sony NX46810) - HDMI

Cable box to DVD Hard drive recorder (Magnavox HDD recorder/player - stand alone) - RCA audio, s video

DVD Hard Drive to TV - HDMI

TV to receiver (Denon) - optical audio

This set up worked perfectly before comcast changed the menu/software.  I could set cable box to timer record, then my DVD recorder, turn all the pieces of equipment off and everything was fine.

After the "upgrade" i believe I have the same issue as noted here. I would offer one addtional piece of information.

If i leave my cable box on, tv on and start recording on my digital hard drive recorder - i will get sound and video.  However, if I set the timer record feature on the cable box and on the dvd recorder (and leave both devices turned off).  The show tapes and I have picture - but no sound.

I have tried with RF Bypass turned on - no help.

The technician told me he thinks there needs to be a closed HDMI loop.  In other words the TV needs to be on when using the timed recording.  While that may make sence, it doesn't make sense to leave everything on all day long.

I wonder if there is a way to have the cable box turn on the TV when it starts the timer.  Unfortunately there is no power outlet on the back of the cable box to plug in the TV.

Does anyone have any other suggestions.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Does your tv have a timer function that will allow it to turn on at the required time? If so, while extra work to program the tv also it is a possible workaround.

Regular Contributor
PurrSuede

Well guess what? After turning RF Bypass ON through the Cable Box setup menu....

There was NO change, there was still NO sound on the recording...

I've been a loyal Comcast customer for over 12 years...

but this just might drive me to a dish...

Yes, I can leave the cable box on 24/7 but I'm not very happy with that as a solution.

I plan to call Customer Service today and see if they know anything about this issue...

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

@PurrSuede

What model cable box do you have? I have an older Scientific Atlanta box that allows the RF Bypass function in the menu. The catch is that a seperate device must be attached to the cable box for this funtion to work on my box. I still have the older guide also.

Does the new guide have a function for turning the cable box on at a certain time. I noticed in the online guide information that they removed the Timer OFF function but didn't see anything about a Timer ON function but more than likely nothing exists in the new guide if they removed the OFF timer. The old guide still has that function along with the Timer ON.

I agree about leaving the box on all the time even though some of the claims of only 1-2 watts difference in usage is still power being used. Helps to save every little bit especially if a house has more than one box.

Regular Contributor
PurrSuede

commanguy wrote:

@PurrSuede

What model cable box do you have? I have an older Scientific Atlanta box that allows the RF Bypass function in the menu. The catch is that a seperate device must be attached to the cable box for this funtion to work on my box. I still have the older guide also.

Does the new guide have a function for turning the cable box on at a certain time. I noticed in the online guide information that they removed the Timer OFF function but didn't see anything about a Timer ON function but more than likely nothing exists in the new guide if they removed the OFF timer. The old guide still has that function along with the Timer ON.

I agree about leaving the box on all the time even though some of the claims of only 1-2 watts difference in usage is still power being used. Helps to save every little bit especially if a house has more than one box.

I have the Scientific Atlanta 3100. The RF bypass function is in the new menu guide, but doesn't pass the audio through either. Audio only comes through with settop box ON.

I wrote to Comcast customer service and got the usual BS answer from them.

Aside from NOT even trying to address my question, and trying to get me to go to live chat they did indicate this (which might be useful to others):

From Comcast:

Certain features that were available with your old guide are not
supported in the new On Screen Program Guide. Features that are not
supported are:

Picture in Picture (PIP) for DVR customers
Sleep Timers
Ability to go back in time in TV Listings
Parental Control by Time
Ability to unlock ALL Parental Controls from a locked channel
Ability to skip to the end of a DVR recording
Auxiliary jacks in front of SA8300 set top boxes
Browse by Theme
On Demand Search
A-B-C keys used throughout the guide
"Settings" button on the remote control

------------------------------------------------------

As you can see, since the "sleep timer" is now gone, there's no way to power it on/off at a certain time.

Well I also called Customer Service today. The woman said she'd never heard of it. I suggested maybe she could google the topic, including on the Comcast forums.

I'm going to keep at them. Meanwhile... DISH service (whether Direct TV or DISH) is now looking much better. And the next time I call I'm going to remind them that I've been with them 12 years, I pay over $100 a month and some of those other companies would LOVE to have me as a customer.

Not very happy with Comcast at the moment. I'm willing to leave the cable box on to make recordings, but I am going to start looking at satellite, this is really the last straw. Some technical geek SHOULD have tested this, I'm not the only person on the planet trying to record from Digital Comcast to a VCR, DVR or their own personal records.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

PURRSuede

Thanks for the feedback. I figured since they took the sleep timer away the wake up timer would have been taken away also. Too Bad, useful feature.

I figure the RF Bypass requires that seperate module connected to the cable box. From my research on my box the module would connet to the box and the coax cable in and out goes into the module. I set mine to bypass when the box was off and nothing came through with the box off. At least I can still use the timers on my box, old 2100 with old guide yet.

Best of luck on this and whatever your future choice.

Bad when a long time customer feels like this. We have had cable service from the same local office since 1968 when it was a municipal cable service that kept getting sold to other companies that kept getting bought up by larger companies. Got Comcast in the switch with Time Warner. Overall not bad but annoying since once Comcast took over they moved channels off the Expanded Basic tier onto higher priced tiers within 6 months or less of the switch. The billing hadn't even changed names when they started. Seems like something always goes backwards at first.

Regular Contributor
PurrSuede

I explained this to Comcast AGAIN:

Let's try this again.

Using a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3100

When the settop cablebox is OFF and a VCR recording has been set to start
 automatically through the new cable guide functions, once the recording starts
 there is VIDEO output but not AUDIO.

When the cable box is left ON, and a VCR recording starts automatically
 based on the cable guide, there is VIDEO ~and~ AUDIO output.

This is a bug. I should not have to leave my cable box on 24/7 in order
 to receive AUDIO on pre-programmed VCR recorder functions.

SOMEONE at Comcast should try this and NOT with a Comcast DVR, but with
 an external recording device.

I await an intelligent answer to my query.

Regular Contributor
PurrSuede

[ Edited ]

One thing that I am going to try, probably this weekend when I have more time.

I have the TV and a Recorder (Sony RDR-GX330) hooked up in one room to the Comcast SA3100

In another room I have a smaller TV, no recorder, hooked up through a Comcast SA4250C

I'm thinking it's possible due to the age of the SA3100 model, the problem could be related to that model of SA settop box.

So I am going to switch them out from room to room and see if the same problem (no sound when using VCR Recording with Settop Box powered off) occurs on the SA4250C or not.

That will at least eliminate if it's the specific cable settop box or not.

Gee you'd think maybe Comcast ~might~ have suggested this to me?

But noooooooooooooooooooooo.... as usual, I have to do their debugging for them, uh huh...

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

PURRSuede

Sounds like a good plan. I would be interested to hear the results.

And I don't put too much stock in the phone help, or the live chat people, knowing things. Most are hired in a call center and probably have limited access to help screens. Even the local people have limited knowledge of a lot of problems. Have had to do a bit of "debugging" on my own also.

And for the record I don't work for Comcast. In fact most of the people that respond to help out on this site are customer volunteers, usernames in blue.

Please keep us updated on the results of your test.

Thank you

Regular Contributor
PurrSuede

[ Edited ]

Well I called them today, and emailed them, and replied to their email as well...

seems like I have stirred things up a bit.

Discussed with the phone technical rep about switching the boxes. The SA 3100 is an early model. I pulled the on-line user guide, it was copyright 2000, so likely I've had that box since 2001, when I first got Comcast in this city.

It was pretty easy to swap out the two SD boxes.

When I was talking to the rep, at first she said, well it's your DVR there's nothing we can do it's not "us". I pointed out that I had the same problem trying to record to an RCA VCR, as well as a Sony DVR. I pointed out that your box is NOT putting out audio, so it is "your problem" and she backpedaled a bit. Basically she meant she couldn't get a tech out in the field onsite to debug the issue, if I was still getting a picture. So in other words, if they play to your TV, great. If you can't get the add-on functions (like to a recorder) to work, oh well!

By the way, for a DVR, I bought a Sony DISC Recorder, model GX-330. Unlike the TIVO or the Comcast with a hard drive you are limited to what you can put on a single disc, though you can record up to 8 hours of SD on a disc if you want to. More with the double layer DVD formats if you so desire, but, like a VCR the more you put on a single media the "grainier" the picture becomes, basically.

The nice thing with a DISC recorder DVR is that if you want to record a show and give it to a friend to watch, it's easy to do, and frankly DVD-R discs are el cheapo these days.

The disadvantage over a hard drive unit like the Tivo is that you have to manage your discs, but I have about 30 DVD-RW discs, and it's really not that hard to do.

Anyway, I digress... some of the information I got was useless, some didn't pertain to me, and some was valuable. One rep actually tried to address my concerns, I think.

But I came across a lot of other information in my search as well. I have a recording scheduled for 08:00 PM-08:30 PM and 09:00PM-10:00 PM so we'll see if the model swap to a newer box helped ... or not...

Regular Contributor
PurrSuede

I also found out, Scientific Atlanta, who made many of the Comcast boxes is now owned by Cisco.

And you can get user guides of all the various models of SA devices here:

http://www.cisco.com/web/consumer/products/prodcat-tvsets.html

If you click on the tab for SD you can see all the SA settop boxes and models and download documentation in PDF format.

I was able to get a user guide for the 3100 and figure out it came out about year 2000, an age ago in this digital world.

Ok, aside from the "Dear Customer, you are so important to us" preface, I did get some information, some of it had nothing to do with what I was asking, some more pertinent and useful.

All of the following comes from Comcast themselves:

First was this:

it is regret to informed you that Copy to VCR feature is no longer
on the new On-Screen Guide that has been launched in your area. We need
to hear about any unsatisfactory situations in order to correct them and
to enhance our level of customer service. I have forwarded your comments
to the appropriate members of our development and management teams for
further review and action. We appreciate that you took the time to help
us keep our commitment to quality customer care.

Well, ok, but that's NOT what I had asked about, but hey...

The next person got a bit closer to the main issue:

Unlike with your old guide, turning your cable box off will stop any
recordings you have in progress or affects the recording of a show. You
can turn just your TV off by pressing the TV button on your remote and
then Power.  The cable box can be left on without any issues.  Keep in
mind if you leave your cable box on you may accidentally stop a
recording if you power on your TV by pressing the All On button on your
remote.  To keep this from happening, press the TV button on your remote
and then Power instead of All On.

At least they are acknowleding that "box off" is not necessarily a good thing any more...

I got one more tidbit (heh!) from them that might be useful to others, that I will post here...

Regular Contributor
PurrSuede

I got the full nine yards from the final representative. I guess they could tell I was not very happy:

Comcast upgraded your guide to provide you with significant
enhancements to features such as search, parental controls and DVR. We
periodically perform these upgrades in order to continue to improve your
cable television viewing experience. Some of the enhancements you will
notice are:
- On-screen keyboard to more easily enter search terms
- Ability to save searches to a convenient list, making it easier to
re-run them again and again
- New Parental Controls that enable you to block TV programming both by
content and by rating, making it easier than ever to manage what your
family is watching
- New DVR enhancements to make outsmarting conflicting scheduled
recordings a snap

The New guide enhances user experience in areas including On Demand, DVR
and Parental Controls. Banner advertisements will also be introduced
with the new guide.

New features in the the New guide include:

- New functionality of "Menu" and "Guide" buttons on remote
- Quick Menu and Main Menu accessed via "Menu" button
- Additional TV Listings Grid views (HD, Favorite Channels, Listings by
Channel)
- Extended actions from Program Information Screen
- Set a Reminder, Recording or Parental Locks
- Add channel to Favorite List
- View other air times of a program
- Multiple Favorite Lists
- A-Z TV Title Search
- Improved Parental Controls and Content Locks (including Parental Lock
by Title)
- Improved On Demand user experience and multiple links to On Demand
- DVR Enhancements
- Live Program Extension
- Overlap Protection
- 5-minute Skip ahead/ Skip Back
- Swap
- Local Weather
- Screen Saver
- Message Center

New guide will NOT include the following features, which were included
in the SARA Guide.

- Picture in Picture (PIP) for DVR customers
- Sleep Timers
- Ability to go back in time in TV Listings
- Parental Control by Time
- Ability to unlock ALL Parental Controls from a locked channel
- Ability to skip to the end of a DVR recording
- Auxiliary jacks on front of SA8300 set-top boxes
- Browse by Theme
- On Demand Search
- A-B-C keys used throughout the guide
- "Settings" button on the remote control
- "Copy to VCR" function

Note that the scroll highlight in the new On Screen Program Guide moves
up and down with the channel scroll in the listings screen rather than
staying centered as it did with your old guide.

DVR Overlap Protection/DVR Clipping
The Comcast DVR automatically detects if two scheduled recordings will
overlap by five minutes or less, and will self-adjust to record the end
of the first program, "clipping" the first few minutes off the second
program. The DVR will begin recording the second program as soon as the
first show ends. The benefit of this feature is that customers will now
be able to record both programs instead of choosing between the two
programs (as they would have done in the past, prompted by a conflict
message). This feature can be turned off under Guide Setup.

-Schedule a recording of a single long program, such as a movie, that
will record on one of the DVR's tuners from, for example, 8:00 p.m. to
10:00 p.m.
-Schedule two additional recordings of shows that overlap by five
minutes or less. For example, broadcast networks frequently run prime
time shows from 8:00 p.m. to 9:01 p.m., which would affect a recording
scheduled on a different channel beginning at 9:00 p.m.
- There are no on-screen messages or user prompts. The DVR automatically
adjusts to record the first program on one tuner, and adjusts the
schedules of the other two recordings to record the end of the first
program, clipping one minute off the beginning of the second program.
- In the Scheduled Recordings list customers will see the word Clipped
next to the program title of shows that will be clipped. The program
information screen will also contain a message explaining that the
program was clipped when they select a scheduled show that will be
clipped or a recording that has been clipped.

recordings you have in progress or affects the recording of a show. You
then Power. The cable box can be left on without any issues. Keep in
mind if you leave your cable box on you may accidentally stop a
recording if you power on your TV by pressing the All On button on your
remote. To keep this from happening, press the TV button on your remote
and then Power instead of All On.

On rare occasions when four programs are scheduled to record, with two
programs on one time slot running over and two programs directly
following, a conflict message will appear asking the customer to choose
between the latter two programs. This is because the DVR Clipping
feature can only work for one program at a time. Advise the customer to
manually start their fourth recording in these rare instances.

Your DVR recordings should reappear as soon as the guide starts
repopulating itself with program information. If this doesn't happen, or
if it seems to take an exceedingly long time, you can try "forcing" your
guide data to load again by unplugging the power, waiting for a few
seconds and plugging it back in. However, we suggest you only do this
when you are done watching television for the day (for example, before
you go to sleep) so your set-top box will have the whole night to
download data.

New with repeats will record an episode regardless of the airing type
unless the exact same episode is currently on the hard drive. All with
duplicates does not do the check of the hard drive and will record an
episode even if it already exists on the hard drive.

Well that rep wanted to cover all the bases and pretty much cut and pasted everything I might ever want to know.

I got the rep on the phone to agree to my plan to swap the boxes, that at least it was a good plan.

Now in all fairness, I pointed out to her, that obviously since she wasn't getting a lot of "hits" on the issue, that maybe some people (like with the Comcast DVR) were NOT having the issue. And that's why I felt switching out the equipment would be a good plan.

So we'll see if it works tonight, or if just from now on the cable box must be left ON in order to get audio on recorded shows with the equipment that I have...

Thanks for listening, I hope this information was useful to someone who might need it...

Regular Contributor
PurrSuede

[ Edited ]

Just wanted to add that with repeated testings, different models of cable boxes, different settings, the bottom line is this:

Leave the Settop Box Powered ON if you want both audio and video to be passed to an external recorder when using the VCR recording feature in the new cable guide.

Also the settop box no longer displays the digital message "REC" when it is in progress.

A thought comes to mind here:

Comcast wants you to use THEIR equipment (DVR) and pay the extra fee for it.

When the Customer Service rep indicated "well it's not our problem", I asked her well what if I had a Comcast DVR and she said "well that's different, that's OUR equipment..."

So basically if you are using anything other than theirs, too bad, so sad, we're terribly sorry, but...

New Visitor
Edvid

I think I've found further evidence to support keeping set top box on to record both sound and picture to a VCR or recordable disc. I set my box and VCR to record and turned everything off as I used to do. When recording started, the cable box light came on but no "REC" as used to be the case. On a hunch I turned on the TV during the recording process and discovered that there was no sound - not a hum, not a bozz, nothing. On a whim, I touched the Vol + button on the cable box. Immediately the sound came on at about 2/3 full volume and the corresponding hash marks. It's not as if when I pressed the button, the sound gradually came on. Just BOOM. I wondered if this was a one-time thing - that now the cable box would let the sound come through on subsequent recordings so I repeated the process. No, it wasn't a one-time thing. The next time I turned off the cable box and tried to record to my VCR, once again there was no sound when the cable box came on. It seems to me that there's a glitch in the software. Why else would it be recording the picture but not the sound when you set the cable box to record a show, then turn the box off? BTW, I have an old Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2200 cable box. Comcast, what are you going to do about this?

New Visitor
wingwoman

I have been reading some of the issues with the upgrade - we are next to be "upgraded" - I can hardly wait (sarcasm) . . . Comcast is charging more for "digital" services without upgrading their equipment to real digital.  I now have to have a box for the box.  I still use my VCR's and DVD recording devices and love them.  I have invested a great deal of money in these items and want to contrinue using them.  It is almost as if Comcast is forcing customers to use their equipment for more money.  If they don't have digital ready equipment then they shouldn't have switched over.  i was fine without Xfinity.  Now I have to figure out how to hook up boxes to the TV and VCR and hope that it works.  Comcast won't come out without a charge (big shock).  And all I get now with the set top box TV Guide is "to be announced."  Not helpful at all.  If this is the way of the future I believe AT&T or Dish may be getting a new customer.

Regular Contributor
PurrSuede

[ Edited ]

Hey WingWoman and welcome...

Well I had an issue with "ON DEMAND" and called Comcast, It took a while to get resolved, but I did the satisfaction survey... and told them I was extremely disastisfied. It couldn't have been more than 10 minutes later I get a direct call from them asking "what's wrong, and what can we do to fix things?"

I have to say at least they listened to all my complaints. The software in the old settop boxes really was quite ancient and I understand the need to upgrade it. I pointed out that this may be called VCR recording but really many of us have DVR's. I told them how it took god knows how many support agents to finally get to the root of my problem and understand it. I told them that I should not have to leave my settop box ON in order to make a recording (with audio) but that is at least a usable workaround to the issue.

Obviously they want you to rent their DVR but... well at least he did say he would forward my concerns to management about why I'm not happy. Most people don't like change, I'm willing to make the change to a new/different guide, I just don't like that the VCR recording feature doesn't provide audio to external devices unless you leave the settop box powered on.

I told him I also don't like the ADs for movies/shows on every single page of the guide. But we do have to keep in mind that Comcast just bought NBC/Universal and is now an entertainment company, not just a cable company. No surprise there really.

The agent did tell me one thing they are trying to do is get EVERY customer to the same channel lineup. In other words, it won't matter if you're a Comcast customer here in New Mexico or back east in New York or any of the states in between, you'll get the same channel lineup (except for LOCAL stations of course).

Anyway, at least he promised to relay my complaint/concern to management. I can't say enough that I was impressed at least that when I put "EXTREMELY UNSATISFIED" on my telephone survey after speaking to an agent I had someone in my ear asking what's going on very shortly thereafter.  And he did listen to my concerns and promised to forward them up the food chain.

At least they listened. Doesn't mean they will fix it, but at least they bothered to have a real live person call me and listen to my complaints...

New Visitor
magicmagic

I've had the same issue. I've tried to keep the box on and when I playback the VCR all I see is a blue screen with the following.."The DVI/HDMI is blocked, press exit to cancel"

What is going on???? All I want to do is tape some stupid shows and watch them in the comfort of my home when I get home from work. HELP!!!!!!

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

magicmagic wrote:

I've had the same issue. I've tried to keep the box on and when I playback the VCR all I see is a blue screen with the following.."The DVI/HDMI is blocked, press exit to cancel"

What is going on???? All I want to do is tape some stupid shows and watch them in the comfort of my home when I get home from work. HELP!!!!!!

If you have direct composite video connection to a VCR also, you can't use HDMI to the TV at the same time, it sets off the copy protection flag.  To record from a set top box to a VCR, you must disconnect the HDMI cable to the TV.  Using component cables to the HDTV at the same time as composite video the the VCR might work.

New Visitor
giwatcher

Hello all:

I have the same problem with a sony vcr attached to my comcast cable box, SA explorer 2100. When set to timer record, there is picture but no sound on the vcr playback. I tried doing a recording at a time I was awake, but with everything turned off. Once the recording process started, I turned on the tv and found no volume. As soon as I hit the menu button  for the cable box using the comcast remote, volume was restored. I did not try to see if any button, such as volume, mentioned by another poster, would work, but I am going to check. This is clearly an xfinity software problem, and I doubt a box upgrade will help. We are stuck until Comcast corrects this, and you are wasting your time calling to talk to a tech.

New Visitor
giwatcher

Well, I checked further, and here are the results.

If I leave the box on and program a timed recording, I get recording to my vcr with picture AND sound, like it should be.

If I turn the box off and  program a timed recording, the is picture and NO sound. Any button that I touch on the remote that controls the cable box immediately allows the sound to return. Of course a timed recording with no one present with the box powered off will only have sound if someone is there to touch a button on the remote. If this were the case, timed recording would be useless.

I am convinced this will not be fixed, but at least we on the forum have acknowledged the problem and address a workaround, even if it causes us to use more power.

New Visitor
giwatcher

I forgot, one more thing. Someone suggested turning rf bypass on as a solution. I tried that, and it had no effect. Also, the light that burns when rf bypass is on is very bright and distracting.

New Visitor
Edvid

As one of the previous contributors acknowledging this problem or bug, I've just made sure that my cable box is on after I set it and my external recording device to record one or more programs. I get both picture and sound and I doubt I'm using that much more electricity, especially since my cable box displays the time all the time. Assuming it's a software bug, since picture but not sound is recorded when the cable box is turned off, I too think Comcast should fix it but the least they can do is tell subscribers about the issue and recommend keeping the cable box on for recording, at least for the time being.

New Visitor
wingwoman

i understand your frustration.  Even when my set top box is on the sound is so low I have to be standing next to the television to hear the program (when I'm not watching through the box the TV is just fine so I know it isn't a problem with the TV or VCR).  It also annoys me that I pay each month for Channels 1 through 99 and yet several of these (SyFy, AMC, for example) have to be watched through the box - which means I have to be in that particular room in order to watch them since I only have one box.  I am paying for these stations - I should be able to view them without having to be in a certain room or (COMCAST's suggestion) get another box - sure because I have extra $$ each month to rent more of their boxes.  I will just cash in the oil well in my back yard - righttttttt . . . .  with Comcast it is always well if you upgrade to this or get another one of these - do they think we are all multi-millionaires - and trying to chat with them is a waste of time - they have script and don't deviate from it - it is always the customer's problem. 

New Visitor
magicmagic

I followed your advice and it is FINALLY working! I still can't belive, however, that the new system has an issue with an HDMI cable!!! Isn't HDMI the way to go these days???? Anyway, one other issue is that when you change the channel using the remote, the channel changes on the TV seem to get stuck and move when it wants to move. I've tried to unplug the box for 1 minute and still the response of the TV is not right. Any ideas?

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

@wingwoman

This is from the Comcast website on the new guide for audio issues.

Most low or no audio issues can be corrected by setting the Optimal Stereo output of the set-top box. Here are the steps:

1. Press the Menu button  twice on your remote control.
  2. Select Setup
  3. Select Audio Setup
  4. Under the Optimal Stereo setting, choose "Select to Optimize" and press OK/Select on the remote control

@magicmagic

At times HDMI has a handshaking issue between the boxes and the tvs. The recommendation on other threads has been to use Component connection using the RGB cable for video and a Red/White cable for the audio.

New Visitor
giwatcher

Your comment makes it sound like Comcast has dealt with the problem I describe with no volume when recording to a VCR. They have not!They don't even acknowledge it. Wingwoman's problem with low volume is completely different, and likely will respond to optimizing stereo. I have already done that, and it has no effect on NO volume to a vcr recording. Comcast has not dealt with my issue, so lets not imply that they have. By the way, I do not have hdmi cables, I use composite cables, non hd, so that reference is also unrelated.

New Visitor
Edvid

I agree with glwatcher. My audio was set to what they recommend but it had no effect on the lack of sound when recording to a vcr with the cable box off as we used to do before the software change. Keeping the cable box on after setting it and the vcr to record solves the problem. Comcast should at least advise its customers to do that.

Regular Contributor
PurrSuede

[ Edited ]

Here's what they told me (and this was in several emails)

Comcast said:

recordings you have in progress or affects the recording of a show.
You
then Power.

So if you think about that, they are saying "cable box off" will "stop any recordings" or "affects the recording of a show"...

Ergo: "Leave the cable box on..."

New Visitor
wingwoman

Re: VCR//TV/Converter Box Set Up Assistance

Thank you for that information - I will definitely try it and see if it works.  My system is not hooked up to HDMI - just regular type "cables." 

Another question if someone can answer it for me - since Comcast has now "upgraded?" to using a converter box to receive channels above 21 is it possible to hook up a TV and 2 VCR's (what I have now and it works great until they switch over to Xfinity in May).  I currently receive the signal through a wire coming through the wall from the cable connection outside.  I have the TV and 2 VCR's running at the same time and all works well - I can record 2 different stations and watch a third at the same time.  Will this set up work with a "converter" box?  If so, how do I hook it up?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!! 

Frequent Visitor
dfaqegadgadg

Ok, I give up, Now it changed my id from "PurrSuede" to this garbage?? What is going on in this Forum??

What, does Comcast not like criticism or what???

So I tried to email under the email name in "Change your ForumID", but guess what... NO such person.

Try and figure out where to get help around here... good luck with that.

Contributor
VoTM

Comcast pushed this "improved" guide change to Howard County, MD earlier this month. We are now seeing the same problem with our Cisco RNG 100. If we use the record feature to turn the set top box on, our VCR records video but no audio.

For those who are being told, "It's your DVR/VCR", here's a simple test so you can say, "No it isn't!"

• Connect your set top box directly to your TV. (If you have an extra TV and can connect one to the three wire "line out" bank and the other to a coaxial cable, so much the better.)
  • Set up the set top box to record an upcoming show (i.e., any show that starts on the next half hour mark), turn the cable box off, then turn the TV(s) on manually.
  • Wait for the recording time.

When the set top box comes on, your TV(s) will have a picture but no sound. This will occur regardless of whether you hook a TV to the coax output or the "line out" lines.

It is difficult to believe that Comcast failed to test such a simple configuration, or -- having explicitly left a "Set VCR" recording option in place -- accidentally silenced the feed on this startup while failing to provide a menu option to permit audio output. It is especially hard to believe that such a problem has not been fixed in the three months since it was first reported on this forum.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

leave your box on and have your tv not plugged into the box and see what that does.  It looks like there is a handshake issue happening between the box and the tv if both come on at the same time. 

Contributor
VoTM

Leaving the box on "fixes" the problem, but it's a hack workaround -- not a solution. It renders the "All Off" toggle on the remote virtually useless at best, dangerous at worst.

This problem is not due to a handshake issue, as the TV is already on in the test scenario I describe (and verified) -- not "coming on".

Calling this problem a handshake issue is a misdirection. There is no race condition involved. It is an error in the programming for the new guide software. Period.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

if you leave your box on and just do tv/power to turn off your tv then it should all work.  I understand you want things to work the way they did but they probably are not coming back so I am just trying to help you  and not have you waste your time trying to make things work the way they did.  the recommendation from comcast is to leave your box on all the time as it does not draw that much power and seems to function better that way.  I have had two dvr boxes on constantly for over 6 years with never an issue. 

Contributor
VoTM

I understand that you are trying to offer a workaround. I've seen this workaround offered earlier in the forum. The workaround was appreciated; the prospect of retraining ourselves to continuously work around a software bug long-term is not.

However, I am trying to get people to stop sitting around like frogs in a pot of water on the stove, meekly accepting the standard lines when they hear them over the phone. I'm offering extra ammo for those who are not content to hear the line, "It's a problem with your equipment."

As far as the set-top box power issue is concerned, when Comcast wants that box to be always on, they can remove the ability to turn it off from the remote. Programming the set top box to ignore the code to power down over the IR port should be considerably less diffiicult than it was to suppress the audio. :smileymischief:

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

I can tell you this.  I am two software guide upgrades ahead of you and it does not work on mine either so call it what you want to call it.  Just FYI

Contributor
FrancoPolo

I'd like to add my two cents worth to all of the above replys. Maybe then we can get Comcast to move on these software glitches. I have both Cisco RNG boxes; a 100 and a 150 for HD viewing. We got the Onscreen Guide update here in Arlington, VA about 5 weeks ago. However, we not only have the audio problem with the sound not coming on when new recording to a VCR starts, but we also have something different with the RNG150 box. I have this box hooked up to a Philips DVD recorder with hard drive. It upconverts which is great for viewing my DVD library. I.e., in order to view DVDs, I want a HDMI connection in order to obtain the best viewing experience. I have the RNG100 box connected to the STB with "cable-in" and with composite cables to a video input on a SDTV. I get audio and video IF and ONLY IF we leave the set-top box (ST:smileycool: on 24-7 just like all of you above who finally worked out the solution. All recordings appear to work Okay. On the other hand, I have the RNG150 connected to the Philips DVR through composite cables, because Cisco in its infinte wisdom decided not to include a "cable out" connector on the RNG150. I then connect the Philips DVR to two different inputs on my widescreen HDTV through component and also HDMI. GUESS WHAT?? Not only do I have the exact same audio problem, I now also have a VIDEO problem. Again, if I leave the STB on 24-7, audio is there all the time, but NO Video! I had these boxes hooked up exactly the same with the old guide where you could set up to 7 VCR-timers (to include timers to turn the box on and off) and VCR recording worked perfectly. Bang! As soon as the new guide is pushed out to us, VCR recording problems begin.

I've been working with a Comcast Service/Community REP to address this problem. Hopefully, some of you may be in my area. If so, I encourage you to do the following. In our county, we have a county employee that monitors Comcast problems throughout their service area and they WANT to hear about major problems. Send your Email complaints to the following address: "cable@arlington.va.us"! The more people complain, the bigger this "ball rolling downhill" will get. I don't begrudge Comcast advertising all their improvements to include their ease at DVR programming with their rental DVRs. If their product is good, they will make money as lots of customers will switch. But there are lots of us out there that have VCRs and especially digital DVRs with hard drives that know how to use them not just for viewing DVDs but also to cut and paste and edit home movies. We can't do that stuff with Comcast's DVRs. Why in the world would we want to give it up. Also, let's acknowledge something. Comcast by law, must allow Tivo DVRs and its service function on their system. If they have to fix their software to allow that, why would they pick on their customers? Do they really have no respect for us that much? Anyway, I am holding out hope that my 5 week concerted effort will eventually be resolved. I hope the rest of you also get resolution. Good Luck!!!
New Visitor
rtor

After reading most of the posts, it's obvious that this is a Comcast problem that's not specific to 

the subscribers equipment.  I have the Comcast DC50X remote box.  It will not  power off, even

though the remote has a power button on it.  The only way to power it off would be to unplug the

transformer.

Back to the "No Audio" problem.  It seems to be an intermittent occurence at my place.  I have

on occasion been watching the channel (AMC) that I was going to record.  Turning the recorder

on and the audio disappears.  Channeling up or down and the audio is "good" on those channels

with the recorder still going.  Channel back to (AMC) and the audio usually pops back in and I'm

good to go.  That, of course, doesn't do any good for a future timed recording.  Don't know why

it would be specific to any certain channel.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

just wanted to let you know a few things.  You dont get any better picture with hdmi than you do with component cables.  Also you should leave your box on all the time.  I understand its tough to do what you want with those lower level boxes and even if you upgraded to an hd box in your area with dvr the software is still a mess. 

Regular Contributor
PurrSuede

rog286713 wrote:

You dont get any better picture with hdmi than you do with component cables.

Ok, I gotta disagree with that. It really depends on a number of factors, but you can get a much better clearer picture with HDMI than with component. And while you did say "picture", the sound quality is also much better through HDMI...

Here's an article that discusses both:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/dvihdmicomponent.htm

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

comcast only outputs 1080i max resolution.  The average user with the naked eye cannot tell the difference between hdmi and component. on a 1080p dvd player yes, from a comcast box you will not see a difference.

Regular Contributor
PurrSuede

[ Edited ]

rog286713 wrote:
The average user with the naked eye cannot tell the difference between hdmi and component. on a 1080p dvd player yes, from a comcast box you will not see a difference.

Gotta disagree totally. I run HDMI from the comcast STB through a Pioneer AVR to a Sharp Quattron. Sometimes I don't feel like powering up the AVR and the floor standing surround sound speakers, so I ran component cables from the STB direct to the TV, and use the TV speakers.

That way I can switch back and forth from HDMI with full surround sound to just component with the TV speakers only.

I can absolutely tell the difference between the HDMI input and the component and this is on a 1080p monitor. I also have a 720p Sharp in the other room, and I can also tell the difference between an HDMI input and the component cable input.

Guess I'm not the "average user"...

New Visitor
BillInJax

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem. I have to leave the cable box on to get sound. I had been a direct TV customer for 15 years and had no such issue with that equipment. Since Comcast does not seem to care,I am thinking of switching back.

Contributor
howie14w

[ Edited ]

Wow!  This is amazing!  It is over 10 months since this thread was started, I just got cable yesterday, had the problem and when I called Comcast I was told there is "no known issue" with the recording function of these boxes.

I was told to do an unplug reset.  I think I'll follow the workaround here, although I really wish that they'd just FIX THE PROBLEM with their software.  DISH was much more responsive to such problems.

Unfortunately, DISH couldn't give me a triple play bundle.