Visitor

Video Blinking

When I am watching any Comcast channel, the TV screen will occasionally go black for a second several times in a row - the best way I know how to descride it is "blinking".  It usually happens at the beginning of a program, then the blinking stops.  The HD DVR box is connected by component cables to an A/V receiver.  I also have a DVD player and VCR connected to the A/V receiver.  When watching something on the DVD or VCR, the TV does not blink. The A/V receiver is connected by an HDMI cable to the HD TV.  I have a second HD DVR box connected by component cables directly to an HD TV and that TV does not blink.  Comcast has replaced the "blinking" HD DVR twice. Any advice would be appreciated.
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: Video Blinking

The only thing I can think of is that the HDMI is negotiating a connection between the receiver and the TV.
Silver Problem Solver
andyross

My guess is that there may be a resolution change or something happening? Why are you using component to the receiver, but then HDMI to the TV? It may be an issue with the receiver. Try connecting directly to the TV (component or HDMI), and use optical or coax for the audio to the receiver.
Visitor

Thank you for the suggestion.  I'm not very knowledgable about this.  I bought my sound system at Tweeter (who is no longer in business) and they hooked everything up.  They used the component cable that Comcast supplied to connect the HD DVR to the receiver. Do I connect both video & audio component cables to the TV or just the video ones?  If I connect the audio to the TV, and audio to the receiver, does the receiver override the TV audio? Thanks for your help.
Recognized Contributor

You should rout your audio through your (surround) av receiver, after all that's part of the reason you bought this component. Using the tv's speakers would be a huge dropoff in audio quality. As far as component connections go, you can route the audio & video separately to different places. In fact that's how I'm currently set up. Component video straight to the tv & audio left/right to my receiver...

Running component connects to a receiver & then HDMI to the tv is perfectly fine as well, especially if you're having the "HDCP Repeater" issue with the Moto boxes, as long as your receiver can transcode incoming component video to outgoing HDMI. Obviously both the receiver & your tv must be able to handle HDCP properly. Just turn off the audio transmission from receiver to tv via HDMI (or turn off your tv's audio completely). The receiver should accept the analog component input just fine since HDCP doesn't apply, and this takes the cable box out of the HDMI equation as a possible source of problems. On the audio side you could also use one of the digital audio outs from the box to your receiver in conjunction with the component video...

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

The other option is to run HDMI from the box to the receiver.
Recognized Contributor

Not if he's facing the HDCP Repeater issue. From what I've been reading, the new DCX boxes have this as a known problem, where a straight HDMI connection to the tv seems to work fine...
New Visitor
Big_Bear

I too get the blinking issue but it is more random than what this guy describes. The first reply about it having to do with the comm. between the box and tv over HDMI makes sense based on my experience with these issues.  I am HDMI direct connected between my HD DVR and my Plasma TV.  I notice that it does this blink LONGER when I'm switching back and forth between an HD channel and a non HD channel (wish Comcast would increase their HD stations because I know many of the channels that AREN'T HD HAVE HD because I had them when I was on satellite but anyway...).  Sometimes it just starts blinking randomly while watching a show but I have noticed that for me it only happens to me while watching HD channels (or changing back and forth between HD and anything else as I said above).  It has even "locked" up where it just keeps blinking and I can't change the channel unless I turn the box off/on and try and change to a non HD channel as quick as I can to stop it.  It is a VERY FRUSTRATING issue!

New Visitor
ox4dboy

This happens all the time on my cable too.  It has always doen this - using HDMI and the other conection.  I've tried both connectons with two different boxes on two different TVs and it randomly happens.  I have not found any fixes aside from just waiting.

Visitor
brammy

This has started happening to me within the past few weeks.  Intermittently the screen wiull go black and the audio will cut out.  Then it comes back.  It look and acts the exact same as it does if I go from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2 for example.  The flash and audio cut out looks identical.

I put up with it figuring it was on Comcast's end and as I was unsure if it was my equipment I didn't want to risk switching out my DVR and getting an older model which happened to me once...Lost over 100GB of hard drive space for a couple months until that one crapped out which is why I hate switching out cable boxes. 

I had my HDMI going from my DVR to my A/V receiver to my TV.  Finally, today I got fed up and put the HDMI from my DVR directly to my TV and used an optical audio out from the DVR to the receiver and I have not had the issue since.  My TV speakers are off.  All I can think is there is some sort of handshaking issue going on between the DVR and the A/V receiver.  The connection definitely seems to lose signal momentarily though.  I have no doubt it is something Comcast did but am just glad this seems to have worked for now.  The issue is not there with my upscale DVD player that uses HDMI.

It isn't an issue with my service either because if I rewind a program to when the blink/hiccup occurs there is no evidense it happened.  The recording works as perfectly as if noting happened.  Like if you unplugged the HDMI cable from the TV for a split second and then plugged it back in. The issue does not record so when I rewind the program I cannot reporduce the issue.