Contributor

Vizio TV and Comcast remote

[ Edited ]

My father has a Vizio 42" TV and has a Comcast DVR cable box. He started having trouble changing the channels on the cable box a few months back. A Comcast tech came out and "fixed" it. He has had 4 different techs out since then and the last tech said the problem is caused by the "back light" from the Vizio TV. And he doesn't know how to turn the "back light" off on this TV. They have also replaced his Comcast remote 3 times, and a new cable box once.

Is the tech talking about "muffler bearings"? I would think there are enough Vizio TV's out there that if they caused a problem with the Comcast remote it would be a well known problem.

This is driving my father nuts! They keep coming out and do nothing for him. I have never heard of a TV causing a remote to not work correctly.

Do we have to move the cable box 10 feet away from the TV to show that the TV is or is not causing the problem?

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: Vizio TV and Comcast remote

backlight from a tv is a known cause of remote issues to the box.   Do you not have the manual for the tv which states how to turn it off?

Regular Contributor
Commtech9501

I have seen where some televisions cause the remote to have issues communicating with the box. Some sort of infrared issue. i Can't say for certain i have seen a Vizio TV. I have a Vizio TV in my bedroom with a Pace RNG110 box (motorola market) and have no issues. I would think you have a couple of options. First take the box to another spot in the home and hook it to another television if you have one and see if the issue still happens in a another room in the home. (in case it's not the Vizio TV but something else in the room) or......if the box you have has an IR blaster input you could try using one and see if the remote issue is solved?

Regular Contributor
Commtech9501

or like Rog says see if you can turn off the backlight...guess that might be an easier first step....ha

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

[ Edited ]

The backlighting issue is very common on all brands of recent flat panel TV's with IR remote interference.

To turn off the backlighting on the TV, you must get into the TV's menu with the TV's remote.  Look under the advanced video section especially if there is settings for advanced adaptive Luma and smart dimming settings.

Changing the position and angle of the cable box helps sometimes.

Contributor

The TV is a Vizio E420VL and I cannot figure out how to adjust or turn off the backlight.

In the list of adjustments the backlight adjustment is there but it is darkened and you are unable to choose it.

Even with the settings set to Custom, which the manual says if you set the Custom setting you should be able to adjust the backlight.

I went to advanced settings and you have a backlight control adjustment. There are 3 settings, Off, DCR, and OPC. I have tried all settings and it still doesn't allow you to make any adjustments in the backlight setting. With the control setting to off it does not help the Comcast remote problem.

Contributor

Went to the Vizio web site and they said you cannot adjust the backlight unless you turn off the Adaptive Luma and Ambient Light Sensor. So I will try that tonight after work!

Contributor

Turned the black light off and it did not make any difference. You can hold the Comcast remote 5 inches from the cable box with the TV on and you still have to push the channel button 6 or 8 times to make it change the channel. If you turn off the TV the channels change with every push of the button.

Regular Contributor
Commtech9501

Does you model box have an IR Blaster port on the back? If so, in some markets, the DTAs come with them and they will work with some model boxes. I use one on my PACE RNG110 because i have the box out of sight. Maybe it would help your issue? You could get a free DTA that will probably come with one and hook it to oyur cable bix. Worth a try...

Contributor

Well Vizio said there is nothing they can do. So I guess we should go shopping for a Sony TV tonight!

Contributor

My father bought a new TV. As it turned out he choose to buy another Vizio, same size and model only one year newer. At first it seemed the problem was gone, but then slowly it became harder to change the cable channels. Some things work like turning both the TV and the cable box on, but other things like picking a channel from the number pad still doesn't work well and often it takes 4 to 5 pushes to advance one channel up or down.

I have the same cable box at my house, so I took his old TV home with me and hooked it up to my cable box. It works fine with no problems at all. What could be interferring with the IR on that cable box? And how do we find out how to correct his problem? There are no other devices of any kind anywhere near his TV.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

[ Edited ]

Any compact flurorescent lights in that room? They also sometimes cause that problem.

Or any other light source that may be reflecting off the cable box? Also is the box out in the open or behind a glass door?

Just some things to check.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I will see if the lamp near the TV has a compact florescent. He also has a TV Ears unit that wirelessly sends a sound signal to a box to move the sound near his chair. We turned that off for a long time and tried the remote and as far as I can tell that is not the problem.

I will tell him to try the remote with all the lights off.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

May want to try it with one or two lights off depending on how many are in the room. It could be light interferring with eye on the box, glare or something also. A little experimenting may be in order.

I would hate to see your dad turn off the tv to get up and stumble in the dark. It may just need to move a light to a different spot

Good luck with this.

Since the remotes use IR signals I wouldn't worry about a wireless device causing the issue.

Contributor

He says it is now working 100%. I hope it stays that way. His lamp did not have a cork screw bulb. I'm sure he will let me know if it messes up again. Thanks for all the suggestions. This kind of thing can drive you crazy and the people who make these products tell you you're screwed and we can't (won't) do anything about it.