Contributor
Ripper31

Vizio shuts off by itself, no sound after unmuting, TV garbled sound, PCM setting??

[ Edited ]

I have Vizio 37 inch model E370VA - I'm having the problems mentioned above. This is my third TV in a year and 3rd cable box. Vizio said to make sure my TV is set to the PCM setting and also make sure the cable box is set to PCM as well. I have a Motorolla HD box. Does anyone know if the box has such a setting?? thanks

Regular Contributor
Commtech9501

Re: Vizio shuts off my itself, no sound after unmuting TV garbled sound PCM setting??

On my Pace box i do. Keep TV on and turn the box off then hit menu. On my box it's in HDMI settings.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: Vizio shuts off my itself, no sound after unmuting TV garbled sound PCM setting??

[ Edited ]

I don't have it on my motorola box.  Have you tried switching to component cables to see if it is an hdmi issue?  There might be an incompatibility issue between the vizio tv and the cable box. 

What cable box do you have.? 

Contributor
Ripper31

I was thinking about switching to cables. I have to check the model number and I will post the number. I really appreciate your comments.

Contributor
Ripper31

model # is motorolla DC X3200

Regular Contributor
Commtech9501

i have that same box in the office here. I am interested now. Im going to take a look

Contributor
Ripper31

ok, please let me know..vizio's customer servcie is terrible.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

read this.  also you can google your issue.  Seems a lot of vizio people have issues with that box.

http://www.wire-harness-manufacturer.com/vizio-hdmi-handshake-problems/

Regular Contributor
Commtech9501

[ Edited ]

I tried a few different boxes here. I tried a Mot RNG110, RNG150n, Moto 3400...i actually could not get my hands on a 3200 but the 3400 is basically the MOCA version of the 3200 so they should have the same options. At least in this market they do. When i...

Left TV on

Turned box off via power button

Hit menu to access user settings

Went to Additional HDMI settings (only comes up if box is hooked up via HDMI cable)

Under audio settings i had 3 settings one of them being PCM (actually L-PCM)

Contributor
Ripper31

so you have to turn the cable box off with the comcast remote and then press the menu button on the comcast remote? or turn off box via button on box? How does the box work if you turn it off?

Contributor
Ripper31

interesting -

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Yes you leave the cable box off and then press menu, the box is never really off, just goes into sleep mode.    then press the menu button that will bring you to the config screen  where you can set the resolution setting.

Contributor
Ripper31

ok, I'll try it, but after reading the other comments, it appears to be a handshake problem with the HDMI interface. Do you work for comcast?

Regular Contributor
Commtech9501

yes power the box down and a second or so later hit menu. The box still has power to it even though it is "turned off" it takes you to a user settings menu

Regular Contributor
Commtech9501

I do yes but my name is not in red so don't send me any personal info because i have no way to prove it to you.

Contributor
Ripper31

ok thanks  - after reading other posts, its probably the handshake issue mentioned above. Figures I had to buy this TV!!

Contributor
Ripper31

no problem. thanks to all...

Regular Contributor
Commtech9501

Good luck. Could do Component cables like Rog was saying?