Contributor
schotzy
Accepted Solution

Volume control

We have 2 TVs in our home. Some time ago, the remote on one of them started to fritz out, so I got a new one. When I programmed it, the volume control could not be controlled separately by setting the volume with the TV's original remote. In other words, we could set the volume parameters with the television's remote and then use the Comcast remote thereafter.

Without this abiity, both the TV's remote and the Comcast remote control the volume equally, and there is a distortion of sound because the TV's remote is set too high. But they won't separate, and I don't get it. I even replaced the new remote, but there is just no way to set the volume separately. Anyone else have this issue, or know what I can do to remedy this?

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: Volume control

make sure you keep the box volume in the middle range and then use the comcast remote to change it using the tv.  make sure you press tv before pressing volume then your accessing the box.  also go to your box audio settings and adjust them to suit your needs.

Contributor
schotzy

I'm sorry--I don't know what in the world you mean. By "box," do you mean my TV set? My point is that both the TV set volume control and the Comcast remote volume control appear as the same range on the screen. On my other TV set, when using the original remote, the volume control range is at the top and I can adjust it to a mid-range there and THEN use my Comcast remote--and the volume range appears at the BOTTOM. On the current set to which I'm referring, both volume ranges are on the bottom. They simply aren't separate. I tried pressing "TV" on the Comcast remote as you said, but this doesn't seem to have any effect on being able to set voume. Can anyone help with a coherent reply?

Visitor

[ Edited ]

By default, the Comcast remote will control TV volume only regardless of which device is selected.  To fix this, press the TV button on the remote, then hold Setup until the TV button blinks twice, then press 9 9 3 and press the Volume Up button once.  The TV button will then blink four times to indicate success. This will unlock the volume controls for every device, meaning that when TV, Cable, or Aux are pressed, the volume buttons will control the volume for that device. This should result in the behavior you're expecting, so long as you make sure the remote is in Cable mode when you want to adjust the volume.

Contributor
schotzy

THANK YOU. Worked perfectly!

New Visitor
reboxman

Thanks! clear, concise and accurate -You rock!

New Visitor
fammarlin

Thanks!!!!

Visitor
Eastwick14

Trouble programing new universal remote?