Contributor
BigSeamus

Water in splitter & TV screen tiling

I just scheduled a technician visit for tomorrow morning.

Have been experiencing various annoying TV symptoms for a few months ("tiling/mosaic screen", blue screen with "channel available shortly" message) on some but not all channels (mostly HD ones).

I got a replacement set-top box last week which did not resolve the symptoms. After reading several posts here with similar symptoms, I started checking all cable connectors for a tight fit. 

All connections were fine at the TV and Converter. 

When I went in the basement to check the incoming connection from the street to the splitter, I noticed a drop of water where the connector meets splitter.  As I loosened the connection, water started dripping out of the cable and splitter.

Disconneted all connectors coming out of splitter and unscrewed the splitter from the plywood mounting panel.

Drip... drip...drip.

Using a can of compressed air aimed into one splitter port, a quick shot of air caused water to come streaming out of other splitter ports.  Continued this till no more water came out and then restored all 5 connections.

The incoming cable from the connection at the utility pole must be allowing water to enter the coaxial cable internally and the weight of the water build-up must be pushing the water up-hill once the cable enters the basement and into the splitter (the incoming cable to the splitter rises up from what is essentially a large "drip-loop" in that cable of about 20").

No water is visible on the exterior of the cable entering the basement, just the interior, where it connects to the splitter. 

I am very surprised that the amount of water I blew out of the splitter wasn't causing worse symptoms in TV, phone service & internet.

Will post a followup after the tech's visit tomorrow.

They better not charge me for this visit.

Big Seamus

Contributor
BigSeamus

Re: Water in splitter & TV screen tiling

This reply from original author of this topic.

For a not too long read of the effects of water vapor and water in a coax cable, and how it can happen in the first place, see this link:

http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/antennas/coax/coax-environmental.php

BigSeamus

Contributor
my-lists

You might be charged. It depends on how old the installation is.

If a new install and Comcast didnt caulk properly, you win. 

An old install, just like with your windows etc., you have to check the caulk once a year.

Contributor
BigSeamus

Hi my-lists;

re: your reply, >> An old install, just like with your windows etc., you have to check the caulk once a year.

That might be hard to do when the problem likely exists at the top of the utility pole, not where the cable enters the house.  There's a drip-loop at the entry point with good caulking, but that doesn't stop water that's INSIDE the cable sheath itself.

BTW, I've been a customer for nearly thirty years and I've never seen it written or stated that the customer is supposed to check caulking once a year.

Thanks for reading my post...

BigSeamus

Contributor
BigSeamus

My 11AM - 2PM window for today's tech appointment to remedy the "water in splitter" problem [posted yesterday] was nearly expired and no road call from the tech to say he/she is on the way.  I called Comcast to ask if I was the next appointment for the tech.

I was told that their records showed the appointment status as "CANCELED". 

Hmmm. Isn't THAT special !    I didn't cancel the appointment, so who did ?!

She said it was done thru their automated system, where customers can call about an appointment and CANCEL IT is one of the options.  She said it happened at about 9:00 PM last night.  I told her I've been waiting at the house all day and it's a good thing I called to check status.

She will issue a $20. credit to my account for a missed appointment and request this mysterious cancellation be investigated internally. 

She was able to reschedule a tech to come out later today, before 4 PM.

Has anyone else had this happen to them ?

Contributor
BigSeamus

Mysteriously canceled tech appt...

My 11:00 AM - 2:00 PM window for today's tech appointment to remedy the "water in splitter" problem [posted yesterday] was nearly expired and no road call from the tech to say he/she is on the way.  I called Comcast to ask if I was the next appointment for the tech.

I was told that their records showed the appointment status as "CANCELED". 

Hmmm. Isn't THAT special !    I didn't cancel the appointment, so who did ?!

She said it was done thru their automated system, where customers can call about an appointment and CANCEL IT is one of the options.  She said it happened at about 9:00 PM last night.  I told her I've been waiting at the house all day and it's a good thing I called to check status.

She will issue a $20. credit to my account for a missed appointment and request this mysterious cancellation be investigated internally. 

She was able to reschedule a tech to come out later today, before 4 PM.

Has anyone else had this happen to them ?

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: Mysteriously canceled tech appt...

Yes many people have reported the same thing happening.  One thing you want to do is, when you call to make an appointment try to tell them to have a comcast employee come out not a sub, if its possible, that will cut down on these problems happening.

Recognized Contributor

Re: Mysteriously canceled tech appt...

[ Edited ]

edit

Contributor
BigSeamus

A followup to my original posting:

The re-scheduled tech showed up and spent two hours fixing the "water in the splitter problem".

He replaced the splitter and cut off & replaced all five connectors at the splitter.

He then said I might need a visit from a "Lineman" if he determines the cable from the utility pole to the house needs replacing.  After inspecting it up on the ladder at the pole, he ended up replacing it himself and told me that squirrels had chewed thru the insulating outer sheath (thus letting the water inside the cable).

After that and some minor work at the cable modem and splitter, all was back to normal.  Time elapsed: 2 hours.

To get him out here today after "someone" mysteriously cancelled my earlier appointment, they got this tech to squeeze me in to his afternoon schedule.  I'm sure he was late for other appointments or had to reschedule, as it was 5:30 PM by the time he left.

Now if I could only get back my set top box that I swapped out last week trying to solve this problem. It had a channel number display and the new one doesn't, which my wife and I am not thrilled with.  I'm told that only the older boxes have the channel # display.  I guess that's progress !!!???

Till next time...

BigSeamus

Recognized Contributor
halfband

[ Edited ]

The squirrels ate about a 2 ft long gash in our outside drop a while back.  For whatever reason they seem to find the jacketing of coax to be delicious.:smileygrin:

Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

I would have thought that by now cable manufactures would have come up with a "distasteful" cable..