New Visitor
naynay1
Accepted Solution

Western Digital DVR expander drive

I am thinking of changing from Direct TV to Comcast. Currently I use a Western Digital DVR Expander with my

Direct TV  HD DVR. Can this expander also be used with Comcast's HD DVR?

Recognized Contributor
JamesJJK

Re: Western Digital DVR expander drive

What's your location? Because Comcast DVR expander/external hard drives are ONLY supported/working in certain Comcast markets/locations.

ONLY Cisco and Scientific-Atlanta market DVRs have supported/working eSATA port for expander/external hard drives.

Motorola market DVRs do NOT currently allow eSATA port functionality.

Motorola markets are suppose to allow eSATA port functionality by/at the end of this year, but it's not official.

Why switching provider to Comcast?

New Visitor
naynay1

We are in Lake Worth,FL 33467. Might switch because our development has a contract with Comcast xfinity and it would be cheaper   If we are in the correct market for compatible esata port, would the western digital DVD expander work or would I have to buy/lease one from Comcast?  Thank you for your help

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

You purchase the WD drive expander, it is yours.  They have them at most Best Buy's and online like from NewEgg or Amazon.

Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

JayInAlg wrote:

You purchase the WD drive expander, it is yours.  They have them at most Best Buy's and online like from NewEgg or Amazon.

I thiink he is asking if his expander will work with Comcast equipment?

Recognized Contributor
JamesJJK

[ Edited ]

@naynay1

You should post your location in the following thread and ask if your market is Motorola or Cisco/Scientific-Atlanta. It should get seen by a Moderator.

>> http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/Adding-external-hard-drive-to-Moto-DCT3412-HDDV...

Comcast doesn't sell/lease/rent any DVR expander/external hard drives.

If you're Western Digital DVR expander drive connects via eSATA port, it will work with Comcast DVRs in Cisco/Scientific-Atlanta markets. I'm sure that's how it was connected to your Direct TV {Via eSATA and NOT say USB}?

Note, you may lose all saved data (recordings) once you connect it to Comcast DVR, but I'm not sure; Comcast DVR may want to format it once connected and install Comcast software on it.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

As a general update, we have recently rolled out this new functionality in parts of indiana for most all of our Motorola branded DVRs. Details at the link below:

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/external-dvr-storage/

A new guide release is required before this new functionality can be activated so be sure and check the availability link at the website above before purchasing the WD external hard drive.

We are deploying this guide update (and this new functionality) to new locations regularly with the goal of 100% deployment in early 2013. Thanks for your patience. 

Recognized Contributor
MikeWolf

I've spoken to Western Digital tier 2 support regarding the question you are having and have been told that yes the retail Western Digital My Book AV DVR Expander WDBABT0010HBK-NESN which has both an eSATA port and USB port will work fine with the Comcast DVR you are using (depending on if the eSATA port is enabled on your set top box in your area) Comcast also sells a Western Digital AV DVR Expander WDBACS0010HBK-NESN both at WD's site and Comcast's site