Regular Contributor
Nemo1220
Accepted Solution

What does APdL on cable box mean?

It's slightly after midnight and I  was just watching NCIS on USA channel when my TV and set top box shut off. Then the letters ApdL appeared on the front of the set top box.. After three minutes I was able to turn them back on and resume watching my program.

What happened? What does APdl mean? Is it suppose to turn my tv off in the middle of a program? I hope this won't be normal behavior.

Thank you.

Regular Contributor
Logic_Bomb

Re: What does APdL on cable box mean?

It stands for Application Download, and all it means is that your digital box is downloading a software update (for example, the new guide). Yes it needs to turn off while it does this, and reboot when it is done usually.

And no, this shouldn't happen very often unless Comcast sends out a lot of updates.

Hope that helps. :smileyhappy:

Regular Contributor
Nemo1220

Thank you for the info. I was afraid something was wrong with the box.

Most Valued Poster
TerriB

The APdl on the box also comes on sometimes when there is a service disruption and you reboot the box. It happened to me today and  not only did I get the APdl but I got a screen with all my user settings on it. I have never seen that before...looked kind of like an MS-DOS screen from the dark ages. Really strange.There was a video service issue in my area  but even when they supposedly cleared it I rebooted and got the APdl again. My DVR was working while all this was going on and then it stopped working too. Not a good day in cable land.