Contributor
sharzah

What happed to my HD zoom?

OK, so some stations are broadcasting wide pictures (e.g. "Burn Notice" on USA right now), and they are showing with the letterboxing, black bars on the top and bottom... which is giving me a distorted picture (too wide, because I have a widescreen TV).  I used to be able to adjust this using the HD Zoom so the picture would fill my screen and then it would look correct... but since the big conversion to the new "improved" stuff, I can't do this any more.  So how do I fix it?  Or, how do I tell me settop box that I have a widescreen TV?  

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: What happed to my HD zoom?

All the HD Zoom information including how to set the box is at the link to the new guide for the SA boxes.

LINK

Contributor
sharzah

[ Edited ]

My STB doesn't have "Guide" and "Info" buttons on the front...No channel buttons.  The only button is labelled "RNG 100" or something like that (the type is pretty dang small).  So I still don't know how to get into the settings.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

The guide and info buttons would be on the Comcast remote.

If your using a RNG100 which is a std def box, the box wouldn't have the capability to zoom the picture.  The zoom should be done with the zoom button on the HDTV.

If you want to fill the screen on a HDTV, then you should change out your set top box for a HD box to receive the programs in full screen 16:9.

Contributor
sharzah

The HD zoom was working BEFORE they made all the recent "improvements".  So the box is capable of it.  

Contributor
bugsy1234

I lost HD Zoom on my RNG-100 as well. I found a post that suggests zoom capability can be restored by changing the 4:3 override in User Settings. The problem is that Comcast has been unable to help me gain access to User Settings using the following procedure: I'd appreciate learning is anyone else has any luck.

FROM COMCAST:

Accessing the User Settings 
*Make sure the TV and DVR are powered on. 
*Press the Cable button at the top of the Comcast remote, and then press
the gray Power button. Do not use the All On button for this process. 
*Press the Menu button once. This should bring up a white screen with 
black writing. If the white screen does not appear, see Notes in DVI / Y
Pb Pr output.  (NOTES: 
Some TVs can only support certain display formats. Check your TV owner?s
manual for more information. If you are not using an HDTV, selecting a 
format other than 480i will cause the User Settings to go blank. If this
happens, you can still view your settings on the LED panel to change the
format back to 480i. 
When the DVI / Y Pb Pr OUTPUT modes (1080i, 720p, or 480p) are selected,
interactive features such as menu, guide and On Demand can only be 
viewed if the customer is using the component or DVI video connections 
from the converter. Interactive features are never available when using 
the IEEE 1394 (Firewire) connection. )
*Use the up and down navigational arrow keys to select which setting you
want to change. 
*Use the left and right navigational arrow keys to make the desired 
changes. 
*Once you have completed the changes, press the gray Power button once 
to save the changes and exit the User Settings screen. 
*Press the grey Power button once more to turn the DVR back on.

Accessing the User Settings 
*Make sure the TV and DVR are powered on. *Press the Cable button at the top of the Comcast remote, and then pressthe gray Power button. Do not use the All On button for this process. *Press the Menu button once. This should bring up a white screen with black writing. If the white screen does not appear, see Notes in DVI / YPb Pr output.  (NOTES: 
Some TVs can only support certain display formats. Check your TV owner?smanual for more information. If you are not using an HDTV, selecting a format other than 480i will cause the User Settings to go blank. If thishappens, you can still view your settings on the LED panel to change theformat back to 480i. When the DVI / Y Pb Pr OUTPUT modes (1080i, 720p, or 480p) are selected,interactive features such as menu, guide and On Demand can only be viewed if the customer is using the component or DVI video connections from the converter. Interactive features are never available when using the IEEE 1394 (Firewire) connection. )*Use the up and down navigational arrow keys to select which setting youwant to change. *Use the left and right navigational arrow keys to make the desired changes. *Once you have completed the changes, press the gray Power button once to save the changes and exit the User Settings screen. *Press the grey Power button once more to turn the DVR back on.

Contributor
bugsy1234

Oh, I was able to replicate the broken HD Zoom problem on my RNG-200 box by changing the value in 4:3 Override from 'OFF' to 'STRETCH'. I'm hopping this info will help restore this functionaility on RNG-100 once access is provided to User Settings. 

New Visitor
fraleyce

We have lost HD zoom and the on-line instructions do not work on our box.