Regular Contributor
Accepted Solution

What is this useless ETHERNET jack on the back of my Comcast HD Settop Box?

I am frustrated after a weekend of very poor help from Comcast, (transferred about 2 dozen times, left on hold to die, etc.) and ultimately, what I feel was a blatant attempt to shake me down for extra fees from "Signature Support".   

And it seems so simple.  I brought home a Panasonic Viera Smart HDTV.  Also a Comcast PACE RNG100 settop digital box.  On the Comcast box, we (1) connected coax and are receiving HD and all other TV channels fine.  No problem.  But (2) also connected an Ethernet cord directly from the Comcact PACE RNG100 to the Panasonic Viera Smart HDTV.  Easy.  Then on the TV, took it through a "connection check".  All IP addresses and subnet masks come through.  Acquires Internet.  But fails on a final test to connect to Viera Connect Server, Panasonic's web service.   Called Panasonic.  Nice folks there explain I have to call Comcast and have them "open 3 ports.  #48705, #443, #80.   Seemed easy.  Called Comcast and hit Dante's rings of useless phone support. (see above.)  

How can I connect this beautiful TV to the Internet...making it smart?  How do I simply tell the Comcast PACE RNG100 to "open" those three port numbers?  I am not trying to scam Comcast (I already pay a lot :manfrustrated:each month for both Internet and TV,) I am not a hacker, I am not running a commercial enterprise.  I just want to do Skype, Facebook, look at pics on my big new living room TV.  Can anybody help? 

I mean, why would there even be an Ethernet jack on that box that Comcast gave me?  

:manfrustrated:

Very hard to watch all those smiling happy Xfinity people in Comcast Ads.  I'm not one of them.

Regular Contributor

Re: Port Forwarding

Baric, 

You seem highly knowledgeable.  I am frustrated after a weekend of very poor help from Comcast, (transferred about 2 dozen times, left on hold to die, etc.) and ultimately, what I feel was a blatant attempt to shake me down for extra fees from "Signature Support".   

And it seems so simple.  I brought home a Panasonic Viera Smart HDTV.  Also a Comcast PACE RNG100 settop digital box.  On the Comcast box (1) connected coax and am receiving HD and all other TV channels fine.  No problem.  But (2) also connected an Ethernet cord directly from the Comcact PAC RNG100 to the Panasonic Viera Smart HDTV.  Easy.  Then on the TV took it through a "connection check".  All IP addresses come through.  Acquires Internet.  But fails on a test to connect to Viera Connect Server, Panasonic's web service.   Called Panasonic.  Nice folks there explain I have to call Comcast and have them "open 3 ports.  #48705,#443, #80.   Seemed easy.  Called Comcast and hit Dante's circles. (see above.)  

How can I connect this beautiful TV to the Internet...making it smart?  How do I simply tell the Comcat PACE RNG100 to "open" those three port numbers?  I am not trying to scam Comcast (I already pay a lot each month for both Internet and TV,) I am not a hacker, I am not running a commercial enterprise.  I just want to use Facebook, Skype whatever else on my beautiful new LED HDTV in the living room. 

Bronze Problem Solver
Jim721

Yeah bummer dont think Comcast has those ports enabled at this time for what ever reason. Same with the USB ports. I have heard they may be enabled in the future.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

The ethernet ports on the Comcast boxes are not active.  You may be able to connect the TV to the internet, but you can't do it via the cable box.  For example, my TiVos are connected wirelessly to my home network.

Recognized Contributor
JamesJJK

Just more of the same from Comcast actively DISABLING functional hardware on THEIR end.

We are paying customers who pay a rental FEE for hardware and Comcast is limiting/restricting/blocking/disabling us from FULLY using the hardware as it was designed for.

I'm sick of paying Comcast to RESTRICT me...!

Regular Contributor

Re: What is this useless ETHERNET jack on the back of my Comcast HD Settop Box?

Thanks for the replies and commiseration.  But, I'm still confused.  

(1) the Connection test shows that I am connecting to the Internet via that Ethernet connection.  An IP address 192.168.etc shows up.  That would indicate the Ethernet jack is live on the box.  So, Internet is there, BUT the closed PORTs #48705, 443, 80 prevent the actual connection to Panasonic's server.  

The usual reason for closing or making ports unavailable is to prevent hackers from moving viruses around, etc.  

(2) A conspiracy theorist would say this is no technical oversight, but instead PLANNED MANAGEMENT of the net by Comcast.  A cable company is the last enterprise that is interested in promoting entertainment offered though the internet.  They want you glued to the channels COMCAST provides.  Right? 

Which is nuts, because we already pay Comcast for internet access.  

Aaargh.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

The DHCP server inside the cable box will give you a IP address, it just isn't connected to the internet.

You get your internet through your cable modem and router.

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

Commodore33 wrote: ... IP address 192.168.etc shows up.  That would indicate the Ethernet jack is live on the box.  So, Internet is there ...

192.168.x.y addresses are "private" IP address, and are not found on the Internet. Yes, the Ethernet jack is "live", but only for whatever undisclosed purposes the manufacturer or Comast might have for it. For customers, it's a DHCP server with no access to anything.

You need to connect your TV, wireless or wired, to your cable modem/router in order to reach the internet.

Regular Contributor

BRUCE!!! 

Take the rest of the day off!  You have done the work of 100 Comcast HelpdeskMen!

A 4-hour odyssey into Comcast circles of you-know-what proved entirely fruitless. 

Bruce, your one post here solved EVERYTHING!  

I simply moved my Motorola Surfboard & Wireless Router down out of the bedroom where it had been providing 'Net access to the house.  Hooked it to the main Living Room TV, off a splitter.  YES.  This worked immediately!  Instant access to Panasonic Viera server from my HDTV.  

I had simply been faked out by that Ethernet Jack on the back of the HD Cable Box...assumed that I could hardwire from that box to the TV.  Ooops.  An incorrect assumption.  YES, one needs to ethernet through the cable modem/router.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.   I am for the first time looking at Internet via a TV in my home and should soon be streaming HULU, Netflix, etc to the living room family TV.

Awesome.  (:smileylaugh:Too bad Comcast HELP could not have made this same simple suggestion.)

New Visitor
MrZev

Thank you forum post...

I called support 2 times trying to activate my box and both times i asked them what it was for.   The first one said that instead of using the Coax line in, i could just use the ethernet.   The second person i talked to was interchanging the word USB with Ethernet... 

Thank god for the community to figure stuff out on their own, or someome thats lucky enough to talk to someone from comcast that actually undersands the question.

now... to figure out what the USB can do.