Contributor
Longtime_Cust
Accepted Solution

Which Coaxial Cables?

Does anyone know the exact size/type of cable to use?  Someone knocked on my door the other day and said "signal leakage" is being emitted from my house.  They're going to come back tomorrow to check but i won't be here and, unfortunately, the cable tech blew me off today and didn't come in to check everything for me.  The first guy (who told me about the signal leakage) said it could be wrong size cables, loose or bad connectors, etc.  So I want to tighten all the connectors and run to walmart to buy the correct size coaxial IF the size I'm using in the house is wrong.

Can anyone help?  Thanks!

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: Which Coaxial Cables?

[ Edited ]

I saw your other postings.

Cable needs to be tight, the shielding needs to be considered like a water pipe, the shielding can't leak.  Most area's use tri-shield RG6, and some area's with strong transmitters in the area need quad shield RG6.  Tri-Shield uses 2 layers of aluminum shielding and most times a 77% braid inbetween the aluminum layers.  These days, compression fittings are mandatory, no more twist on or crimp on F connectors.

The most common tri-shield cable Comcast uses is Commscope F677TSVV, which the spec sheet is at this LINK

The F connectors most often used are PPC EX6 and EX6XL, these need special crimping tools and must be stripped properly for a good fit on the coax.  Any loose fittings are a big no-no.  Damage in installation can cause shielding issues like staples through the coax.

Cheap coax and poorly installed fittings are a large part of leakage problems.  Cheap Asian cables are trouble, many are not 100% shielded, and some are only partial braid.   Old RG59 cables can break down after many years along with the older crimp fittings.  Any remaining crimp or twist on fittings must be replaced with compression fittings properly installed.

Any questionable coax jumpers from the wall to the equipment should be replaced with high quality RG6 jumpers with compression fittings.  No junk that many times comes with consumer electronic equipment.

Cheap splitters can also cause leakage, as most cheap splitters have backs that are attached with glue or epoxy.  The splitters must have a soldered back and need EMI specs for 120db like the splitters at this LINK

If there is a drop amp in the house, can cause increased leakage issues, especially if the amp has a amplified upstream, which is rarely necessary. 

This should be enough as a start, post back with any more specific questions.  Remember, the complete RF coaxial system must be 100% tight including coax, fittings, splitters & amps, just like plumbing.

Signal leakage is a serious problem with two-way cable systems, and can cause trouble for subscribers for blocks around, and takes alot of effort to track down and correct.  The FAA mandates leak free systems so it won't interfere with aircraft.  Each year, all cable systems are tested by a "fly-over" with specialized equipment to track down leakage, and must be reported to the FAA and FCC.

Contributor
Longtime_Cust

Thanks, Jay.  If you saw my other posts, you know how frustrated I am.

From your post, I'm guessing running over to Walmart to pick up the right size might not do the trick, huh?  My husband said our cable appears to be a little different than theirs so I just thought perhaps we had the wrong size (maybe we used RG59 and theirs is RG6?).....just picking up some RG6 from walmart (only place open right now) tonight won't work?

Arrgghh.  I was trying to find a quick fix in case this guy shows up tomorrow to check when we're not here, and I was hoping to at least decrease the amount of signal leakage he picks up.  (At least until the tech comes on Monday....or whenever they decide to show up.)  He said it's one of the worst 3 he'd seen in 200 houses that day.  :smileysad:

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

[ Edited ]

I would say leave it to the professionals with the right test equipment to find and fix the trouble.

I'd rather not see you spend any $$ guessing at the problem.

But, if you do want to replace any sections of coax, Wal-Mart does have Philips RG6 with the compression connectors already attached.  They also do sell the cheaper stuff.  All the "gold" splitters at Wal-Mart are junk, and are not good for cable.  Pretty much the coax with the "gold" connectors stay away, some of that is from RCA.

Contributor
Longtime_Cust

Thank you SO much for your expert advice...and taking the time to respond.  Now my husband's asleep on the couch...LOL...so unless I want to run to Walmart in the early am by myself, perhaps I'll just leave it to Comcast.  I will end up spending a lot of money that probably won't completely fix the problem anyway (by the sound of what's needed.)  If he wakes up soon, maybe we'll run and get the Philips...so thanks for that info.

I can hope they don't disconnect the cable tomorrow morning, and the guy shows up Monday a.m. and correctly fixes all this.  The guy who found the problem said most techs won't fix it properly....great. (And I'm probably on some 'difficult person' list and will get blown off again Monday since my anger escalated by the time I spoke with "leticia".) <sigh>

And at least I now know exactly what I need for future reference to replace various sections of the cable we have throughout the house.

Thank you so very much!

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Good luck getting your leak fixed.

Please post back on what they find if you can.

Usually the tech tracking down the leakage's is not a premise tech, to that's why one guy will do the cut-off and then they send out a premise tech to fix it later.

Contributor
Longtime_Cust

Hi Jay-

I just came on to print up your info.  :smileyhappy:  I want to be informed for when the tech comes tomorrow HOPEFULLY first thing in the am.  The cable is still on so they didn't disconnect it today...although it was nasty weather outside so don't know if that played a factor?

I'm hoping the tech who comes knows what he's doing but I want to have my own info (from you) so I can make sure he does what he needs to.  The guy who told me about the leak indicated I need to make sure the tech who comes in takes care of the problem so.....I'm on it!  This tech tomorrow will probably find me quite annoying...LOL

I'll post an update tomorrow night about what they find.  Thanks!

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

OK, I'll look forward to your experience tomorrow, and hopefully it will be positive.

He will have the proper tools, test equipment and parts to get it fixed up.

If things go bad, then we can escalate it to the Corp team available on this forum.

Contributor
Longtime_Cust

Hi Jay-

I have posted 2 updates on my other post (the long one) which show that so far, things have not been going well.  If you can, please see that post and scroll to the bottom for my last 2 posts.  Things are not going good.  I'm sending you this message because now I'm worried this tech (who lied about coming to my house and completing the job today) is going to NOT do a good job and might screw me over.  Any tips on how I know for sure he did everything he's supposed to do and did it correctly??

I'm running out of adjectives to describe my anger and frustration over all of this!

Contributor
Longtime_Cust

By the way....not sure how to do this but:

1) I want to say thanks to JayInAlg very, very much for his advice and all info regarding proper coaxial and connections, etc.  My question was actually a small part of a larger issue that has not yet been corrected and that post is in another forum on these boards (with some excellent reponses, I must add....folks who are helping me get through the issues.)  But THIS question has been answered completely. I want to make sure that I express here, in hopes the administrators are made aware, of my appreciation for the help I received from Jay on this question.

2) Do I just click the button at the bottom of your post that says I accept that solution?  I'm guessing that will then end this string?  I tried to read the posting guidelines but it says I don't have access??

If you Jay, or someone, can please verify this if the proper next step for me re this question, I will then go ahead and end the string by accepting that solution.  (I'll keep battling the other issue in the customer service forum.)

Thanks much!   JayInAlg....you rock!  :smileyhappy:

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

The string never ends unless a moderator locks it.  You can choose to accept as a solution, if you are satisfied with the answer, and that you have been taken care of.  If someone outside the forum like a local Comcast employee helps you, you are welcome to share that too in another post, and that will get forwarded to the local management.  Many posters end up solving their issue themselves, and they will flag their own answer as "solved".

There are also the rarely used "kudos" which is the star ranking that can be used if you see a post that you like.  That is the "star" on the left side of the page below the avatar.

Usually marking a specific post as "accept as a solution" is done when the original poster is truely happy with the response.  The original poster can also un-accept as a solution if they change their mind about a answer.

Contributor
Longtime_Cust

Thanks!  These boards have been wonderful to help me deal with these current issues.  And as I said, the bigger problem is not yet solved (and I'll keep dealing with that on the other page/forum) but you did provide info+ on what I was asking here.

I gave you a couple of kudos on your 2 informational responses; they were exactly what I was looking for and very helpful!  I also accepted that first post as the solution (I actually used info from both though.)

Great to know this string doesn't get locked because we may need to buy some of those cables and connectors within the next couple of weeks, so if I need help with them....I may come back to this string (hope that will be ok!)

Thanks again for your help on this question!  :smileyhappy:

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

I'm sending you a PM, look for the little envelope at the top of the forum page.  Thanks for the support.