New Visitor
technipunk

Why Do I Need a DTA Box with a Digital TV?

I have several analog TV's in my house and several Digital TV's as well. Why Do I Need a DTA Box with a Digital TV?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: Why Do I Need a DTA Box with a Digital TV?

[ Edited ]

Because the analog signals are going away, and digital signals are being encrypted, everyone will need some kind of decoder box that decrypts the signals.

In most areas the B1 limited basic tier will stay clearQAM and digital TV will tune in those channels, usually 2-22 or so on your Comcast lineup.  Everything esle is or will be encypted.

A DTA will only tune in SD signals, and if you want to watch any HD clear QAM channels, you would need a splitter and a A/B switch.  If you want to watch all the HD channels in your TV package, you need a full HD set top box, connected to a HDTV with HDMI or component cables.

The only TV's that can tune in directly off the cable are cable card equipped TV's that have a DVR logo on them.  These DCR sets are no longer manufactured.

New Visitor
technipunk

Seems like a step backwards to me. The new TV's are already equipped for Digital signals. The need for a box will have an impact on wall mounts because it means youl have to have an additional power source and extra cables. The look won't be as clean either not to mention the lost functionality built into the TV set. Just doesn't make sense.

Visitor

This is not good news.  You mention that most areas, the limited basic will stay clearQAM, how do you know what areas are staying that way?  I am in the Roseville, CA area.  That is all I watch, are the clearQAM stations.  I think there are only 11 stations that I have visible on my TV.

The only reason I am still with Comcast is convenience.  Otherwise I'd go to an antennae, and Netflix.  It would be cheaper, but it is more convenient to have the cable.  If Comcast does encrypt the clearQAM stations, they will lose a customer. 

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

technipunk wrote:

Seems like a step backwards to me. The new TV's are already equipped for Digital signals.

Comcast did it for their benefit, not the customer. They used the DTAs as encryption devices for standard cable, which allows them to stop using physical traps on the cable lines. They could have easily left standard cable unencrypted so you could have TV on any outlet on your house w/o a converter, just like analog.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

captain_tinker wrote:

This is not good news.  You mention that most areas, the limited basic will stay clearQAM, how do you know what areas are staying that way?  I am in the Roseville, CA area.  That is all I watch, are the clearQAM stations.  I think there are only 11 stations that I have visible on my TV.

Comcast has stated that they intend to have everything (but limited basic cable in SD) encrypted everywhere eventually.

Visitor

If they intend to encrypt everything past SD, then they have just lost a customer.  I've had enough problems with Comcast, from deceptive billing practices, to never being able to get a straight answer on support calls, to taking up a lot more of my time in support calls, and office visits, and house calls than I care to continue to give them.  I guess it's time to go back to the days of antennae for my local news stations.  At least then I can afford Netflix for the rest of the stuff I want to see.  buh-bye.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Join the crowd my friend! I have limited basic cable (which I don't watch) and HSI, only because it's cheaper for me to bundle the services than to buy HSI alone.  My family (me, wife + three teenagers) mostly watch TV via Netflix or streaming on-line. We've been doing it for over a year and will never go back to watching cable TV. I'd also suggest you get an antenna and watch your locals in HD for free.

New Visitor
FeistyEagle

This IS NOT some government edict about digital vs analog TV.  I have BrightHouse in Florida and it works just fine on ALL my TVs on ALL channels.  I have little good to say about COMCAST.  They are simply the worst for customer service and product pricing.  I will switch to satallite as soon as I can get it to work with my limited southern exposure.  Don't know what I'll do about HSI but I'll keep working on that issue.

THe regulators need to pull the plug on COMCAST!

Regular Contributor

i-am-nerdburg wrote:

Join the crowd my friend! I have limited basic cable (which I don't watch) and HSI, only because it's cheaper for me to bundle the services than to buy HSI alone.  My family (me, wife + three teenagers) mostly watch TV via Netflix or streaming on-line. We've been doing it for over a year and will never go back to watching cable TV. I'd also suggest you get an antenna and watch your locals in HD for free.

By the way -- it may be cheaper for you to drop the basic cable.  About 5 months ago now, I dropped cable television (using antenna for the locals) but kept my HSI because it is really the only option where I live.  About 2 months after I did it - a co-worker of mine decided to drop cable tv as well.

The sales rep gave him the pitch about keeping limited basic using the reasoning that the bundled price would be cheaper.

It certainly seems like a no-brainer:  Keep a limited basic package for approx $12 ... or have your internet bill go up by $15.

But what is never mentioned by the sales rep (or thought of when customers consider the choice) is the extra fees that come with the TV part of the bill.

When my co-worker and I compared bills afterward ... he with limited basic and internet, I with only the internet ... we found that he still had the franchise fee, the fcc tax, etc.  My internet-only bill had none of these.

So my more expensive, non-bundled internet gave me a better monthly price than his bundled internet/tv discount.

Granted - we are only talking about a couple bucks, maybe.  Not a big amount by any means.

But it is worth knowing when they toss the limited basic package at you with the threat of raising your internet rate otherwise.