New Visitor
FaytesBirth
Accepted Solution

Why does the sound keep cutting in and out?

Ok, I've had xfinity service for over 6 months and I've always had a problem with the sound. 

The sound will suddenly stop for 1-4 seconds.  The video still plays, but the sound stops!

It always happens, I've tried changing out cords thinking it's a short in the line,I've even asked comcast to reset our DVR box, and the sound still cuts out!!

I'm fustrated, why does this happen?  It happens on EVERY channel I watch.  More so when I watch movies on demand. 

New Visitor
lalamichele

Re: Why does the sound keep cutting in and out?

Mine has done the same for the last six months as well.  I have to turn off the cable box and turn it back on for the sound to come back.  It will do it three or fourt times while the t.v. is on.  I've called twice about and the last time I was assured the fix they performed would solve the problem.  

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

OK your posting in the tv online thread but your mentioning cable boxes and tv so assume you posted in the wrong area?

What is the fix they performed?  Signal drop outs (tiling) and audio drop outs are signs of signal issues to your box or a problem with your box.   Have either of you had a tech out to check your wiring and signal strength?  that needs to be done or its going to continue to happen. 

Contributor
FMS1

[ Edited ]

I've had this problem for a couple of years.  I heard it is a problem when we use a HDMI cable.  I usually just hit the pause button then resume and the volume comes back.  It is irritating.

I've changed out my HD-DVR a couple of times but continue to have the same problem.

New Visitor
KAN199

I don't see anywhere on this thread that its for online tv only...I have the same problem until I press pause or play.  I really think its just area you live in because I recently moved and had zero problems with Comcast in another state and they had more updated dvr boxes.  I'm about ready to cancel my service and to stick with online tv since I don't have the time to watch much anyway.

New Visitor
KAN199

I have five different HDMI cables, some with gold and some regular and it makes no difference.  I did notice that I lose sound if I brush against the splitter if you have internet also.  In my case I think there is a problem with the quality of the splitter and cable lines to be able to support the HD cable.  But unfortuanately, it takes more than 30 mins to get a hold of someone to start solving the problem and then another 20 min to get them to understand what the problem is and then 2 more days for another person to call you back for an appointment to go to your house and analyze the problem and then that my cost you some money.  So, pressing pause and then play works for me instead of paying $80 bucks for someone to come out. 

New Visitor
KAN199

I love also that there are zero solutions posted over 3 months from Comcast. 

Regular Contributor
NJacana

I am watching the Demo Nat. Convention, and it cuts out a lot; but never during commercials.

Visitor

I have the same problem on MSNBC   for the past two days. I had assumed it was something that would clear up but I will  report this problem this morning. I have not noticed the problem during commercials.

New Visitor
Kramerica

I'm having this same problem with MSNBC.  Sound goedudded, but picture is fine. Downtown Chicago. 

Recognized Contributor
anita0817

I've been having the same problem with the sound cutting off on MSNBC. It could be a network issue. Last night I had poor pixilation on USA too.

Visitor

Please call Comcast support  to report this problem. I called and was told that the more people reporting the problem will create an internal alert and more resources will be applied to fixing it. 

Contributor

I'm having the same issue.  Very frustrating.  Lasts from anywhere to 1-4 seconds. 

Regular Contributor
NJacana

Does it ever happen on Fox news?  gonna check.

New Visitor
55Wchestnut

Having the same issue with MSNBC too.

Contributor

I've had the same "sound cutting in and out" for some time now.   I called Comcast service and they said it was a fairly common problem with older wiring called "tiling" or something like that.  They said a service call to check the wiring and replace if necessary should correct the problem, so I scheduled one.  To be continued..

Visitor

When I called a couple of days ago support did not mention older wiring or "tiling". Today I have been watching MSNBC and have not had the problem occur.  Perhaps something was corrected?

Regular Contributor
marty999

Not surprised about Comcast NOT getting in here and answering about THEIR equipment!

I was brought an HDTV set top box Xfinity is on the label but it seems to be the Cicso one - anyway I've checked ALL of the net and stated my query in different ways and I am pretty darn good at research - there is NOTHING on the sound from these cable boxes - yes the HDMI picture is great but the sound sucks and NO answers from Comcast.

It took me FIFTEEN DAYS to get the HDMI box after I just about had a nervous breakdown from all the dropped pictures on various stations and it was all intermittent - problem was it happened most significantly when football was on and the picture wasn't even synced when it was displaying...

You talk about a company that needs help, Comcast is it... either that or they just need to quit OR allow ALL other companies to come in and give them some MUCH needed competition then they'd see that their "overseas" Phillipines "customer service" not only doesn't work but has convinced me to switch to satellite when my "specials" are over.  PERIOD!

Regular Contributor
marty999

You too huh?

too bad it's too intermittent for Comcast tech to actually see - I am sick of eyerolls from these guys!

Regular Contributor
marty999

This is a horrid company that just kicked my post out for saying how bad they are!

Regular Contributor
marty999

It certainly DOES and a LOT!

Regular Contributor
NJacana

Sure does, since I got this a year ago.  And it doesn't really matter what station.  Though I haven't done a scientific study of it, I thought it was just politicos, but it is baseball games, and movies, etc.  It is annoying mostly, say, during a presidential debate or when Rev. Al Sharpton is make a point.

New Visitor
breegav

Same thing is happening to me. It has been going on the entire 7 months I have had comcast.Iit only happens when I have the audio through my yamaha audio reciever. This problem never occured with AT&T in the same reciever or when I use my PS3 or Blueray. It only happens with my comcast box. The tech that did my install said they dont trouble shoot AV recievers and tried to blame my equip. I have tried everything different HDMI cables, HDMI cable with optical audio cable nothing works. The only way the audio doesnt cut out is if the HDMI goes strait into the TV. I have called and got no help. I dont know what to do excpet switch to someone else. Does anyone have any kind of solution? 

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

New Visitor
bwnatural

Just got Xfinity 2 months ago -- the sound cuts out  for a few seconds on random channels. At this very moment, the sound is going out on TNT while watching Sherlock Holmes.

Also, sometimes when I navigate to On Demand, there is no sound. I have to exit and try again to get sound.

Bronze Star Contributor

Same problem.  Seemed to have started for me after the last Mototrola DVR update in July.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

Pixelation and dropout issues are almost always related to local or individual signal or connection issues. The issue can occur on a single channel or multiple channels due to the frequency or frequency range that the channel is delivered on. Changes in temperatures can also aggravate the issue.

Check to be sure that all of your cable connections are snug.

Give us a call at 1-800-COMCAST and we can start the troubleshooting process and get this resolved. Insist on a technician visit so that the signal levels can be reviewed and adjusted if necessary.

Thanks for your patience.

Bronze Star Contributor

So it's just a coincidence that my sound trouble started right after the July DVR update?

New Visitor
bwnatural

A technician came out this morning. He checked the signal on the cable box and it was strong. He went outside to check for water damage to connections in the ground. He ordered a part that looked corroded  -- it should be replaced in a day or two. I'll report back if this fixes the problem.

New Visitor
Loveapekingnese

[ Edited ]

I have found complaints about sound fading out since 2010 so this issue is nothing new. I understand that every situation must be evaluated on an individual basis, however it amazes me that this problem continues to be so prevalent in many locations. I am in FL and have the same problem.

My cisco hd dvr is connected directly to my flat screen tv via HDMI cable. I tried switching out the HDMI cable to no avail. My cable was installed by a Comcast technician 7 months ago, and the signal was reported to be very strong at that time (inside and outside).

The only real solution that I have found for this issue is to switch out the Comcast DVR (or set top box) and replace it with a TIVO. Every TIVO owner that has posted on these forums raves about the improved picture and sound quality with TIVO after the initial set up process is completed, which can be troublesome, but it seems to be worth the effort.

I have had a post regarding the audio cutting out issue for a couple of months and the only reply I received was from another Comcast customer who was having the same problem. I am buying a TIVO soon and will post an update after the transition.

New Visitor
priddy199

This is awful!! So many people having this problem is uncalled for and terrible service!! I hate this!!! Fix it it!!!
Official Employee
ComcastTeds

priddy199 wrote:
This is awful!! So many people having this problem is uncalled for and terrible service!! I hate this!!! Fix it it!!!

Pixelation and dropout issues are almost always related to local or individual signal or connection issues. The issue can occur on a single channel or multiple channels due to the frequency or frequency range that the channel is delivered on. Changes in temperatures can also aggravate the issue.

Check to be sure that all of your cable connections are snug.

Give us a call at 1-800-COMCAST and we can start the troubleshooting process and get this resolved. Insist on a technician visit so that the signal levels can be reviewed and adjusted if necessary.

Thanks for your patience.