New Visitor
Markecooper

Will Comcast activate a HD DVR if I purchase it myself?

I would like to forgo the $15 a month charge for one HD-DVR that I have with Comcast.  I would like to purchase the exact same model (HDT6412) that I have now and return this one to Comcast.  I just want to make sure if I purchase one that Comcast will activate it for me so I can use it.  I know Comcast will not service it, just want to know if it can be activated.

Thanks so much

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: Will Comcast activate a HD DVR if I purchase it myself?

[ Edited ]

The only owned DVR's you can have are from Tivo and Moxi.  All other equipment is supplied by Comcast and they only lease their equipment as does most US cable companies.

Since no Motorola, Pace, Scientific Atlanta or Cisco equipment is sold retail, then any equipment out there at garage sales, auction sites is usually unreturned equipment that is owned by some cable company.  This equipment will not be activated on any US cable system.

I've never heard of a HDT6412 DVR.  The ones most cable companies use start with a DCT, DCH or DCX.

If you buy a DVR that is unreturned equipment, you will be buying a door stop unusable on any US cable system.

New Visitor
Markecooper

It is a DCT6412.

I saw a company in Canada that is offering them refurbished.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Boxes from Canada won't work on US cable systems, the firmware is different.  They only work on Canadian cable systems, where in Canada you can purchase a Motorola or Cisco DVR at your local electronic store like Future Shop.

New Visitor
Cclashh

Hi all,  Tivo DVR is the only option that comcast has in my area (Michigan) where you can purchase a an HDDVR and use it to accommodate your comcast monthly service using a cable card; Note: the cable card does not support comcast on demand, however, Tivo has several options for on demand and claims to lead the market in on demand choices.  Tivo offers Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video, Netflix, YouTube, and Blockbuster. Tivo boxes range in price from $99.99 to $499.98 and there are subscription fees are not included in the price of the DVR.  If you have only one box then lifetime service is $499.99 and month to month service is $19.99.  You should also consider that you will also be saving money on your comcast account as you will have no DVR charge and there is no charge for the cable card. This off sets the Tivo monthly service fee.  It is important to bear in mind that month to month service also requires a 2 year commitment after the first 30 days following your service agreement. As I mentioned before Tivo has four on demand options; all of which will also require a month to month subscription in addition to the fees you would already be paying. It should also be noted that the on demand services mentioned will also charge you for specific content such as new release movies in addition to their monthly fee. This is all going to be an issue if you move to an area and subscribe to a cable service that does not support Tivo within those 2 years.  There are really 2 things to consider based on the previous facts. One being that unless you are having some kind of uncorrectable technical issue with Comcast DVR and your intent is to save money by using Tivo then you should stick with renting a comcast dvr, however, there are some good reasons for choosing TIVO outside of saving money.  The primary advantage is the hardware and software that is available to you from Tivo.  The Tivo Premiere Elite for $499.98 is the best option.  It leads the DVR market with a 2 TB hard drive, 4 High Definition tuners, and 300 hours of HD recording space. The hardware and software is several times better than anything comcast can offer in a DVR.  The importance of theses specs is that this device has 10 times more recording space than Comcast and can record 4 programs at the same time.  Comast only offers 2 tuners and very limited recording space when considering the technology available to manufacturers of Comcast DVR's.  You will also most likely prefer TiVo's graphic user interface over comcast.  TiVo's GUI is exceedingly more advanced than Comcast.  I possess a Tivo DVR and the best description I have for the transition to Tivo is that it was like trading a Yugo in for a BMW.  You should also consider where the industry is going with home entertainment. We are exiting the dark ages where we need to have entertainment media such as DVD or Blu Ray disc for every day entertainment.  It is much more efficient to simply stream this content into our homes than it is to manufacture discs and Tivo offers this on a scale unmatched by other services. No gas used going to a local DVD/Blu Ray rental store or to the grocery store for redbox and the manufacturers do not have the expense of producing discs.  Using Tivo Premier Elite you may never have to watch a TV commercial again but you will have to fast forward to skip them   With four tuners you will never miss a show you want to see again and you will not be in a race against time to watch your shows before they are deleted because of the 300 hours of recording space.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

We have talked about and suggested Tivo many times on this forum, and many of us Mod's on the forum have Tivo's.