Contributor
Accepted Solution

Wiring Diagram

Need wiring diagram for the following:

HDTV, (wall mounted) has an HMDI cable and coax cable.

Other devices:

HDTV cable box

Blue Ray Player

AV Receiver

CD Player

Contributor
Spacedout

Re: Wiring Diagram

[ Edited ]

Petunia & Fred,

I doubt anyone can assist you without a bit more info. The most important info is for you to list the make and model numbers for all your components. The most critical is your AV receiver. Without this info., I can only generalize. The wiring below assumes that you have all components with hdmi capability that also have at least hdmi v 1.3a

1: cable coax from the wall (cable feed coming into your home) to cable input on cable box

2: cable box hdmi out to an hdmi input on receiver

3: hdmi out from blu-ray player to an hdmi input on receiver

4: CD player, composite L & R audio out to recevier's composite L & R audio in. If your CD player has a digital audio out, coax or optical, use that.

5: receiver's hdmi out to TV's hdmi input

The above is routing all signals, video & audio into your AV receiver for processing or switching and then the receiver is outputting to the TV using a single cable (hdmi). Again, the above is a very generalization. The kind of components you actually have will affect the wiring setup. What is not taken into account here is how you actually setup your components to hande the video & audio. How your receiver and Blu-ray player handle HD audio will be a big factor for audio. If one of your compnents handle videp processing better than another will also be a deciding factor of how you wire too.

I hope this is helpful

Message Edited by Spacedout on 02-22-2010 02:12 PM
Contributor

Thank You for your response. The hook-up suggested is what I intended originally. The Comcast tech hooked the incoming coax to the cable box and the HDMI cable directly from the cable box to the TV.

My initial thought was to be able to watch the TV without the receiver on,(just using the speakers on the TV). The AV receiver would be used for surround sound when needed. This is why I ran both coax and HDMI cables to the TV.

Components are as follows:

AV receiver - Pioneer VSX-1019 AH-K

Blue Ray - Samsung BD-P1600

TV- Samsung- Series 7 - 750

CD Player - Sony CDP-C50

Thank You for your help

Contributor

Contributor
Spacedout

[ Edited ]

I always say, use what you paid for :smileygrin:

What are you saving your Pio AV receiver for? Use that bad boy for cable TV too and enjoy your surround sound. Your Pio AV receiver has pretty healthy specs, 120 watts and 7 channel capable, MCACC audio calibration, 4 HDMI inputs, all onboard HD audio decoding and 1080p video scaling. IMHO, you'll get better enjoyment watching HD cable programs having your Pio do the audio work. Beside, most HD cable programs broadcast in Dolby 5.1 anyway. And, you can always take advantage of the Pio's Dobly Pro Logic IIx and DTS simulated surround features for SD and non 5.1 broadcasts.

IMHO your Sammy 750 is an excellent LCD, but any surround system will be head & shoulders better than what a TV's built in speakers can reproduce.

Your Sammy BD-P1600 Blu-ray is no slouch either. You can have it output all HD audio as a bit stream and let your Pio AV decode. A lot of folks like to see their AV display light up and show the HD audio playing:smileywink: or your can have the BD-P1600 decode the audio and pass it to your Pio AV as LPCM as your Pio can easily do this too. The choice is yours. BTW, your Sammy Blu-ray will also play your CDs.

As far as the Sony CD player, that's your call if the Sony sounds better than the Sammy P1600.

The only other thing I would  mention is for you to decide which component handles video processing best, your Sammy 750 or Pio AV. The answer to this would depend on how you let your Pio handle the video signal. Just pass it to the Sammy or upscale it and then pass it.

Oops, almost forgot, this goes for your Sammy BD-P1600 too. Do you let the P1600 scale SD DVDs to 1080p or pass the 480i signal and let your Sammy 750 scale and deinterlace.

Message Edited by Spacedout on 02-23-2010 01:21 PM
Contributor

OK,

Back again!

When I follow the wiring as suggested, the HDTV, shows weak or no signal.

Also, when I try to use the Blue Ray player I get sound but no picture.

Appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks

Contributor
Spacedout

Sorry for the delayed response.  

Both problems could be caused by the same issue, improper input assignment (handling) of components.

I suggested wiring your cable and Blu-ray first to your A/V receiver and then from A/V receiver to your TV.

Have you made sure that you properly "assigned" your A/V receiver to accept the 2 HDMI inputs (cable & Blu-ray) ?  Simply put, this  assignment tells the A/V receiver what kind of component it's connected to and how to handle it.

Check your A/V receiver's manual and properly assign your components. Check the following pages in your manual:

pg. 23 & 29: connecting components with HDMI

pgs. 39 - 40: Basic setup, input selection

Let me know how it goes.

Contributor

Thank You for your help, we are enjoying our system.

All issues are solved.