Visitor
Gigglepig

X1 DVR total meltdown--lockups, error messages, and useless DVR functionaly

OK, Xfinity X1 installed last week with 2 DVR's and one standard box.  So far it's been a week and not more than 30 minutes of continuous viewing can be done with this garbage.  EVERY SINGLE TIME, and I mean every single time I turn one of the boxes on I have to pull the power plug to reboot it, which take about 5-7 minutes.  If I am watching a show and attempt to change the channel I get a gray error message saying something like "service is not currently available, call Comcast" and the box stops responding to the remote control.  Not one single show that I've attempted to record has been recorded all the way through--it is broken into pieces which the DVR nicely tells me and that's great, but ultimately totally useless.  This morning I woke up to the sound of the DVR sounding like it is going to take off, something, I'm guessing the hard drive sounded like it was spinning out of control and the box was so hot I couldn't touch it.  Thankfully I have an exhaust fan in my entertainment center or it would have melted all of the plastic laminate on the shelf 6" above it.  The DVR showed "DL39" on the display and wouldn't respond to the remote or button presses.  Pull the power plug, let it sit for a while, and wait.  Standard procedure by now.

I have called Comcast no less than 20 times on these issues and most of the people that answer the phone have absolutely no clue about this system and tell me to reboot as I've been doing.  Really practical, right?

Someone, somewhere, please shed some light on this.  Is my home in danger of catching on fire with this thing? Is there any hope of this service actually working for more than a few minutes at a time? This is my first experience with Xfinity but so far, a failure of larger proportions couldn't be imagined.

Regular Problem Solver
C_DM

Re: X1 DVR total meltdown--lockups, error messages, and useless DVR functionaly

Do all boxes behave the same way?  If it's not all boxes, perhaps one or some might need to be replaced?  If it's all boxes, aside from trying to replace all of them, perhaps there are some sort of signal issues that are getting in the way?

Visitor
Gigglepig

All boxes are exactly the same.  Comcast has been out no less than 10 times, my signal is literally perfect.  Even the cable modem signals are dead on exactly where you'd want them.  I feel like X1 just isn't ready for release--it is nothing short of a disaster.

Any other suggestions??

New Visitor
balto1

We have the exact same problem.  The main DVR works fine but the other ones that feed off it continue to crash.  Had a fleet of Comcast guys come out and "fix" it.  May go back to old DVRs.  X1 is a piece of junk as far as I am concerned.

New Visitor
babbot

[ Edited ]
I had the same problem as balto did. I have a main dvr box and 3 satellite boxes. The main dvr works fine, but the other boxes only worked until the tech left my house. Since then, I've spent hours on the phone and they had a second tech out to redo the cabling and replace the boxes, but the boxes just freeze while trying to re-load. I've reset the boxes several times, and so have the techs.
The techs keep saying that the system is really sensitive and the infrastructure is not yet ready for its rollout in Chicago.
I still have only one out of 4 tvs working.

The X1 is really cool and does some great things, but the installation has been a mess and I'm really concerned about how stable it's going to be once it finally gets fully installed.
Official Employee

The x1 Boxes rely heavily on an excellent signal ( as they act like modems) and have to meet certain specs or they won't work
New Visitor
babbot

Thanks for the reply, Andrew. Both of the techs commented that the x1 system is really reliant on the signal strength being in a certain range. The second tech replaced the signal booster and splittlers that the first tech put in, and double checked all of the signals to the boxes. Still, only the main dvr is working.
New Visitor
Prodrigo

I agree balto1 I am considering goin back also I am so fustrated with the lock up freezing and not recording what is set to record or partly recording what was set tp record I am at my wits end and my husband works for the company and he says he doesnt know either I am a stay at home wife and need my TV and DVR to function properly arghh help someone lol