Contributor
Accepted Solution

X1 DVR

[ Edited ]

please do not waste your money on this.  they want to charge you for installation of the box and after you get it you will have to call comcast at least two to three times per week for problems with the box or the service.  i have called at least 20 times in the last couple of weeks since i got this DVR.  it is a piece of garbage and never should have been released by Comcast when it was not yet ready.

Bronze Star Contributor
TurnerBrewer

Re: X1 DVR is a piece of garbage

What type of issues are u having with the box? What is your opinion of the HD Guide?
Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

x1 is in test mode only, its only available in a few markets, you are testing it out for the company and the rest of us, it seems like they have a lot more work to do. 

Bronze Star Contributor
TurnerBrewer

[ Edited ]

"X1 is in test mode only" - That is funny. The X1 Pace box is featured in the XFINITY commercials shown in the Atlanta market. The commercials are all about Xfinity's "awesomeness"...

Contributor

it still is not recording the entire shows consistently.  it does not always output audio correctly between the cable box and the television if the receiver is not on.  it freezes and the dvr is sometimes not accessible at all.  when it works, I like it, but it is amazingly frustrating when it doesn't

Contributor
SoMuchPain

So far so...............  X1 is slow to respond and gets hung up a lot.  Remote has no functions for programming a separate audio source only for TV volume, so if you have everything hooked up via HDMI through a receiver you can't control your volume without 2 remotes.  The new Pace box has no remote codes to program a URC remote either so again stuck with 2 remotes.  Facebook app doesn't work yet and after downloading the X1 Remote app from the apple store the app can't find my X1 box, so that's not working either.  Thought it would be nice to get this box but it really needs some work.  Someone already mentioned how hard it was to search by day, and yes I agree with that.  It does work a little better if you use the mini guide and press the right arrow then you can use the page down button to jump through a lot of hours at once to get to the day your looking for.

I'm open to any suggestions, I'm not trying to bash this new platform, just trying to make it better

Regular Contributor

I just got this box yesterday. I live in NH, so that's probably considered the "Boston" area.

There are some very nice features, and some changes from the Motorla box I had which I'm finding hard to deal with.  I'm thinking of returning it and getting my old box back.  The service guy said they weren't discontinuing the motorola so I could get it back if I wanted. I was expecting more space, not loosing fuctionality.

The guide is nicer.  Everything from the visual appeal to the layout.  The ondemand features are more integrated now to the guide.  You don't go to another "area" and listen to those incesent adds for on demand as  you are looking through the menus. It shows what you were already watching.  And when you are watching on demand, you have access to the regular guide and your dvr section so you can schedule something to record, for example, while continuing to watch on demand.

However, "on demand" doesn't have all the nice organization submenus that it has on the motorola box (dcx3400).  I like to do the fitness workouts.  It's just one long list and a lot are actually missing.  Meaning they are available but don't show up in the list. I sorted alphabetically to find one I wanted and it wasn't there. I did a search and it showed up.  So the list is incomplete.  And searching only works if you know what you are searching for, you can't browse if half the stuff that is available doesn't show up in the lists.  Why they don't have one database behind different systems is weird.  You'd think the organization would be the same just the "color, fonts, etc" would be different.  Also, tv show are no long divided into a-g,h-n, ...  Which again makes it hard to browse.  They just have to much stuff now and were the subcategories were nice in the past, they are necessary now.  And, obviously, everything that is available should show up in a list!

You only have one "viewing" tuner, not 2 like in the motorola box with their own buffers.  You can't switch between tuners and view 2 different shows, backing up in the buffer to see something you missed.  You can only switch through the "last" mechanism, which is just like changing channels, with no buffer and losing the buffer you had.  Kind of sucks for casual viewing of 2 shows.  If want something like that you have to record both shows and then delete when you are done. You can record 2 shows and watch a third. But again there appears to be only one tuner that displays to the screen and has a buffer.

Deleting a recorded show doesn't really delete but puts in to a folder which is equivalent to a trash can on a computer.  I don't know what happens if you don't erase it but run out of space.  Will it remove what's in the deleted folder to make room?

A real annoying lack of ability, that has been around forever, is the ability to skip ahead a day in the guide. I often will look to see what is on in primetime and then skip a day to see what is in primetime the next day, etc to plan what I want to record.  Currently you can only skip ahead by hour.  If you are trying to see what is going to be on in a few days you have to scroll ahead that far which is a major pain. This is especially difficult since it gets erratic after scrolling a few hours ahead, getting stuck then ending up somewhere in the future, usually way past were you wanted to go or worse back were you started.  It still does the trick were you go from the horizontal several channels to the right by hour or switching to the one channel vertical by hour which you can page through.  But you can't go from one channel to the next in the vertical view like you could.  You have to get out of it totally go to the next channel then go back in.  It all makes browsing and scheduling a real pain.

The remote is a shadow of it's former self.  I can still use my old remote, but I can't bring up the equivalent of the xfinity button bar with it so I can't access ondemand or dvdr stuff with it. I prefer the old remote because it has support for my audio.  Also the new remote doesn't actually turn off the box, the old remote does turn it off. If I could figure out how to program the "xfinity button" onto the old remote, I'd just use that. You need this button to bring up a bar at the top of you screen that allows you to navigate to the dvdr and ondemand as well as what few settings you have.

The new remote doesn't have hard buttons for things like live. Live is a soft button available only when watching a show in the buffer. For everything else (and for that) you have to use the exit button which will eventually work. This brings me to something else, there is a noticible lag before the box does what you tell it to do. I'm talking several seconds often times.  It's very annoying.  And there is no way to program the 30 second skip forward that is available on the motorola boxes. I'm finding watching without to be rather miserable.  It's not just about ads, most shows have stupid parts in them, even the good shows, and I like skipping forward 30 seconds.  If it's still the stupid part I'll skip again, etc.  Fast forwarding doesn't work as well, it makes me seasick and it doesn't stop anywhere near where I tell it to.

I could get used to this except the lack of a 30 second skip forward while viewing and a day skip forward in the guide kind of make it not only useless but extremely aggravating.  Maybe I'll keep it and put it in the bedroom and move the motorola in there to the living room.  Maybe I'll return it for a motorola.  I haven't decided yet.

I hear that supposedly they will add the day skip by end of year, but they stuff like that all the time and it doesn't happen for another year.  I also understand there is a r2 version of the remote that will let you also program in your audio equipment to control sound from one remote, but for some reason the one they are giving out with this brand new box is the r1 version so I guess only special people get the r2.

It's all very poorly executed. And the cable guy said he has one and has to reboot it fairly often, so he showed me how to do a soft reboot.  Pulling the power cable will work too.

One improvement is that you can turn on closed captioning with a setting without having to turn the box off first. I use cc a lot because I don't like the tv loud and I watch a lot of british shows. The british shows are more understandable than they used to be, probably because their praoduction values have improved, but cc still can help.

Regular Contributor

Here's something really bad I just found out. 

There is no way to get a list of when a series will next be on! Unbelievable.

It's too geekified (and I'm a geek).  They have episode guides now, which is neat on it's own, but when you are trying to see when the next Big Bang is on and what channel, you can't!  It gives you a list of episodes in episode order.  So if it's a 5 season show, you have to scan through 5 seasons of episodes and try to find one that is today or tomorrow.  You can't sort by date (at least not that I've found).  You can only get a "by date" list for a specific episode, not for the series.

This is really poor!  Really poor!  And the whole thing seems to be geared more for on demand than tv.  I happen to like tv.  Oh well, I guess the box is going back because it's unuseable this way.

Another annoying thing is it doesn't tell you what you are currently recording.  The scheduled list only shows future recordings.  You can only tell by going into the recorded shows list, and guessing by time what is currently being recorded.  There is no indicator like the red dots on the motorola boxes.  I wanted to record something and it kept complaining that it would have to cancel something so I would go look and nothing would be there for the current time. I finally figured out the lame setup. No one screen view of what is happening.  Again it's geared for ondemand and not tv viewing/recording I guess.

This is all basic functionality folks.  Really stupid!

Bronze Star Contributor
TurnerBrewer

Thanks for the info on the X1.  I was looking forward to getting the X1 when it was announced for the Atlanta market, but then I was told by Comcast that it was not availalbe in my suburb. Also I would have to subscribe to Triple-Play to receive the X1 when it became available. No thanks. I do not need phone service...

I am not going to waste anymore time waiting for Comcast to get its act together on the TV front.  The TVGUIDE IGUIDE is inferior to both Dish or the DirecTv guide.  When using the Comcast interface on my 60" HD TV I feel like I have stepped back into 1990's TV.  Comcast TV experience sucks period. 

Contributor
kcormier19

i have been using the new X-1 box myself for a couple of weeks now.  I am also in the Boston area.  Is this box perfect? no it is not.  But i do like the feel of the menu system better then the old Motorola box.  The remote is lacking a little and I have had to have a refresh signal sent to the box twice since i had it installed.  I think as time goes on and some of the kinks are worked out, the box and service will be great.  BTW i dont know who is tellingpwople you have to pay to have the box installed.  I received a visit from the comcat tech, he installed the box in about 10 minutes and there has not been any charge for the visit.

Kyle

Contributor

the people who are telling you there is a charge of $50.00 for the installation are the people both on the phone at Comcast, and in the local Comcast office.  there is also a $50.00 charge if they come to your house for a service call, unless it is a problem on the street affecting multiple customers, or for certain problems with their equipment, but you won't know that until they get to your house after you make an appointment unless you have their service contract, which of course is a monthly charge.

New Visitor
makewayhomer

I'm on my 2nd X1 box and I can confirm it's a POS that doesn't work. they have both required daily hard reboots to get them to work. various other problems.

I would have cancelled comcast but instead they agreed to give me the old box.

support has confirmed with me that they are having all kinds of problems with this box. also my local sales rep has confirmed that they are often not working.

Regular Contributor

I haven't been able to get over to the office to get my old box back yet so I have a few more observations.

It has some nice features, but it's so poorly thought out.  I don't know how much is Pace's fault (or Motorola's) and how much of the interface Comcast controls, but they are night and day. It seems like it tried to fix some issues but totally forgot about all the good stuff or basic stuff.  And it can't have been used by any testers to watch TV at home on a regular basis or they would have known better.  It's more like they decided to test this feature and that, but not the whole.  All too common in software these days, but hardware makers generally still do better.

There are clearly different databases when it comes to the guide.  All kinds of info that is available on the motorola boxes is missing on the X1, like who is in a movie, what year a tv episode was made, etc.

The box is not TV watching friendly other than the fact there is a viewing channel that is not affected by recording 2 shows, but that is also the problem. You have one large buffer, but if you are watching a show and are enjoying it enough to want to save it to watch again,  you can't really.  Watching a show and then recording it, it doesn't save what you have in the buffer already to the recording.  It basically starts from the point where you decided to record, which really sucks.  After all it's all right there!

I does require frequent rebooting, and unlike the motorla box which at least gives you tv right away after rebooting, I've had to wait up to 15 minutes before I could even see the TV station, much longer for any other functionality (up to 45 minutes acording to comcast).  Come on!  Especially since they are going to do away with QAM channels so that you have to have a box, basic TV viewing should always work.  Especially since it seems to lock up around 9:30PM, right when you are in the middle of watching something. 

A couple of interesting things that may be in it's favor or a fluke.  The emergency broadcasting system came on once, which came to the screen during the show I was watching, but the show I was recording seemed to be uninterupted.  Also, one of the times the box froze up, the recording seemed to start before I could actually view anything.  Also, when a recording was interrupted and therefore broken into two, it knows and asks if  you want to watch the other part at the end of the first part.

However, several times it hasn't recorded or stopped in the middle of a recording for no apparent reason.  I was recording Burlesque yesterday morning, there was no apparent problem with the box, and when I went to view later in the afternoon it stopped in the middle. Unfortunately that was the only HD showing in the near future.

Another problem with recording is that interaction with the guide is messed up.  I was trying to record the second part of Coma the other night, which showed clearly in the guide, but it wouldn't let me record it.  It was like 3AM or something.  It kept sending me to on demand, which only seemed to have a place holder but it wasn't available yet there either.  I finally got around it by finding another time "episode 2" was on and then from there I could see other times and record the one I wanted.  But I had also set it to start 20 minutes early, which it did not do.  I had recorded both episodes before but for some reason the box missed some minutes at the end of one and the beginning of the other.  Very annoying.

When you go to record it takes several clicks to do anything and it can send you around in circles.  It will also try to direct you to on demand, sometimes to charge you money for something that is available on tv.  Like I'm not paying enough already.  The actual option to record is lower in the list because they want to soak you for as much money as possible I guess.

The interface is nicer in the sense that menus and status is kept out of the way of what you are watching.  The motorola box always has these stupid pop ups saying "scheduled recording stopping, starting, blah balh" in the middle of the screen.  And the progress bar was always in the middle of the screen but the X1 it's at the bottom, mostly out of the way.  It particularily comes in handy when playing something in slow motion to see something.  The motorola bar always gets in the way.

But keeping out of the way of what you are watching, and the softer interface, are probably the only good things about it.  It takes way more effort to do anything.

And there is no way to do a manual recording.  I can't say to record this channel from 1:30 to 2:00 PM like on the motorola box.  It always annoyed me with the guide that I could start early and end late, but not start late and end early.  Sometimes you only want part of something for any number of reasons including conflicts.  You could do it with manual recordings.  During the olympics I set my motorola box up to record NBCSports in hour increments every day.  This way I could watch, sometimes skipping through fast cause I wasn't interested in that part and then delete to make room for the next day.  Can't do anything like that with the X1.  Or in the case above where I wanted to get the 10 minutes the scheduled recordings missed in Coma, I had to record the whole episode over and it didn't start early like I requested.

And there are no reminders. I've been wanting them to improve reminders.  First, why is there a limit. Second, why can't I set a reminder for a whole series.  Third, why can't I go view set reminders like I can scheduled recordings.  We could do everything except set a reminder for a series years ago with Media One and I think even before that with United Cable.  There are a lot of series I like that I would like to know when they are going to be one.  I don't want to record them because I've probably seen them before or I don't want to use up the space on my drive.  For example I like to know when Mythbusters, NCIS, and various other shows are on.   That seems like that should be a very easy thing to do.  Again, on the X1, instead of improving reminder functionality they've done away with it completely.

The analog output may be better, or not, than the Motorola depending on what you are trying to do.  I have an all in one panasonice HDD, DVD, VHS recorder, later model with upconverting and HDMI.  And I can't make up my mind.  It initially seems better in some ways, but it might not be as good in other ways.  I guess it all depends on your device's settings & capabilities.  On older analog devices it might be worse.  On newer, better.

Regular Contributor

One other thing.

You know the way the dvr groups episodes together.  Well this groups movies together that have nothing to do with each other.  I recorded Mulan, Red Riding Hood (the latest movie, not a kids show), and Another Earth, and it put them all under Red Riding Hood.  I was trying to find Another Earth when I realized it.   I had just thought it had broken up Red Riding Hood into 3 parts because of some kind of problem.

And it just keeps adding some movies underneath.  Different channels, different times, different topics.  It's just hosed.

New Visitor
Ralph68

[ Edited ]

I have the new x1 boxs (x3) in my house they constantly lose signal the picture goes out but audio works (somtimes). I get stuck on a single channle and when I try to change channles I get the broken signal icon message across the sceen, after a few minutes it starts working again on its own. The picture gets green pixleated and the sound goes garbled.

My favorites from the filter menu does not work it is greyed out and not selectable. The buttons don't light up which makes it very difficult to change channles at night.

I am coming from verizon fios we had comcast installed Friday so far they are off to a poor start in my book. The installer didn't show my family anything or how to use the remote I had to research it on the net and that info is very limited, he basicly put the boxes in and bolted out the door because he was an hour late for another install.

I don't know if I would call this box garbage but it curtainly needs a lot more work.

Also you are not able to view recorded programs from another HD box you have to have the x1.

Contributor
wherery

I totally agree with Stan_1 about the X1 box.  We've been having issue after issues with it.  Can't program the dvr box via internet.  It takes a couples of times to turn on/off with the remote to turn it on.  On Demand doesn't work, etc...

Visitor

If you want to view recorded programs on other boxes,you need to order Anyroom Dvr.You will get an original dvr instead of the X1

Regular Contributor

"My favorites from the filter menu does not work it is greyed out and not selectable."

This was a little weird to figure out.  On the motorola box we could have several favorites list, but now there is only one, which really annoys me. But creating it is hard to figure out.

The way I figured out is that you have to pull up the full screen grid (one way is hitting guide twice).  Now push the left arrow so you are highlighting the channel itself, not the shows.  Push info, highlight "favorite" and select ok.  That adds it to your favorite list.  Once you have some items in the favorite list it is no longer greyed out in the filter option.  This, like much, is very convoluted, especially if you've had the previous interface which was much easier to use.

They certainly need a guide that tells you how to use more than "on demand", which is, of course, their focus. As usual, poor customer focus.

Regular Contributor

One really bad thing I found, the "dvr->scheduled" menu no longer shows conflicts. 

If you have conflicted shows it only shows what it will record, not what it won't, therefore not giving you the option to adjust your priorities for a long term change, make a short term change, or view on that third viewing buffer what isn't being recorded.  This is a very strange approach.  The little red hollow circles that denote the conflict show up in the grid, if you happen across them.  Obviously, with all the channels and the difficulty in moving from day to day, this is a really really really had and time consuming way to resolve conflicts.  I didn't even realize it at first until I noticed I didn't have some shows I should have had. This kind of stuff is the whole point of the dvr scheduling stuff to begin with.  I schedule as shows come and go, do a quick review every weekend or two to see what conflicts are coming up, and then forget about it.  Seriously! The way shows get moved about, even if you had it all perfect once it won't stay that way.

So the "schedule" doesn't show you what it is recording now or what it won't record later due to conflicts.  So what good is it?  This is basic functionality with out even going into how well the interface works, ease of use kind of things.

An annoying thing, when you do a search for a show it doesn't tell you what channel it's on.  It give the network general name, not even the local channel call letters.  I have 2 abc stations and 4 main pbs stations (never mind all the wgbh spin offs).  Other cable channels I don't know what the number is.  So if I look up a show and find it's on later in the day, I can't just find out what channel to turn on at the time. My only option is to record it even if I don't want to or to go through the effort of narrowing it down in the grid.  This stuff still matters, it's not all abstract cloud stuff and probably won't be in my lifetime.  I don't know if this kind of thing is intentional or just poor design.

Regular Contributor

And the dvr --> priorities menu has issues. 

The old interface you could modify or delete a series recording setup from the priorties menu.  Here you can only change priorities.  So to delete or modify you have to go find it in the grid somewhere or the scheduled list if it's something that shows up.

New Visitor
Ralph68

The sales rep that came to my door told me the X1 would allow me to have multiple fav lists, which was a lie.

The problem I am having now is when I add networks to my fav's (as you describe) they also show up on the other boxes in my house. So my fav list displays on the other two X1 boxes in my house, everybodies favs are all mixed together, that's pretty crappy. Why does it do that.. if I can't access the programs recorded on the other boxes but I can see fav list? lol

As far as I can tell it doesn't even display who's calling on the phone. 

Contributor

I've seen some quirky behavior with this box.  Occasionally there is no video output although I can see the logo of the channel.  This seems to occur mainly after the screensaver mode has kicked in.  Only resolution is to reboot the box.  When it gets stuck in this mode, the recordings are not being recorded.

Also I've observed some fast forwarding issues.  When fast forwarding through a program such as a Recorded football game, When I hit play it will jump backwards to some random spot in the show.  That seems to happen to me a lot.  Interesting when you are fast forwarding, while the video  fast forwards on the screen the timer on the bar at the bottom does not advance in time.  

I have been able to make my Logitech Harmony remote work by using a pace code for an Rng210.  If you need a 3o second advance, here's an approximation...create a sequence on harmony remote that is FF, FF,FF, play, exit.  Seems to work for football play clock.  You need to include the exit to get rid of the time bar/ channel logo which lingers for too long on the bottom of the TV screen and covers the football score!

by the way, if you have a Comcast classic silver remote, hit the cable button and then the set up button to see the pace /X1 box technician diagnostic menus!

Regular Contributor

Being able to remove/modify series in the priorities section eventually started working.  Probably one of those flukes.

I finally got 2 3400s with 320 drives this morning.  I'd gone to the office a couple of times before and the line was 25 or more people deep and moving slowly so I couldn't wait.  They told me they never have 500 gig drives.  I don't know if that is true.  But she had to go look for the 3400s as if I wouldn't have gotten them if I hadn't asked specifically.  She said they rarely have those as well.

One of the reasons I tried again this morning is that I've had problems with things not recording, which is bad as the new season starts and the summer season ends.  But last night absolutely nothing recorded.  I got home and my 8PM show had not recorded.  And it would not record although I kept hitting record. At 8:50 all my other recording settings disappeared for the evening.  And even though I would hit record and the red dot would show up in the guide, nothing would happen.

Tonight dvr services are not available at all.  I am trying to watch what I had on the box so I can return it. I called up and they said they were having issues with the dvr service.  I'm not sure what recordings I have on my box have to do with the main office.  That is a ridiculous setup that you cannot watch recordings on the hard drive in the box in your house because of some server issue.  Just absolutely stupid. 

Hopefully I can be done with this soon.  I was actually starting to warm up to it a bit.  I do think it has a lot of promise, but there are so many basic things that need to be rock solid reliable that aren't, and so many other things that are just inconvenient.  Maybe the rumored update at the end of the year will fix some of these things, but I'm not convinced.  It's too bad.  I'd like to know who programmed and did QA on these boxes though.  I suspect more of this is Comcast's fault and not Pace's. I could be wrong but I suspect that Comcast does the interface and Pace does the hardware functionality.

Contributor

I just received mine this week and unfortunately it is still a piece of garbage.

No autotune

No buffer

Horrible VOD sorting features

No way to control TV. I need a second remote (tv remote or old CC remote) to swicth input to my other devices (roku, xbox,etc)

I have only had it a few days so I have not recorded much. The auto tune and buffer issue are deal breakers for me.

Savy

Contributor
darrylh82

Listen my x1 is buggy and frustrating. It freezes alot and does wierd things but its beautiful. I would not trade my x1 for an old box. My old box would do silly stuff too. Most of what people are complaining about are them just not being used to a completely new box. Its like getting a new cell phone with the latest and greatest features. Its not going to work just like the one your old one and it might not have all the same features. Most of these issuses are all software related and should get worked out eventually.

A couple things... Someone had issues with it not turning off the box. I got into the same issue and it frustrated me to no end but i eventually figured out what i did. When setting up the remote if after you enter your tv code if you press the "all on" and not the "tv power" you sync the "all on" with the tv and there is no way to go back(which is dumb). Get a new remote from a local office and try again.

I spoke with the local comcast rep and he said hopefully by superbowl the x1's were going to the cloud with the dvr recorded shows so they will have the anyroom functionality. I also spoke with him about the remote and he says they are aware of it and coming out with a new remote not the r2 but a different one, supposedly its going to have a slide out keyboard and possibly backlit (with the abilty to switch between tuners on the tv).

So I say hang in there people we are the early adopters of this new box. Its only going to get better.

New Visitor
rugs37

We have had it for 2 days...and ready to throw it out the window...Evidently they have known about the Guide freezing and have not been able to fix it in amost 4 months?  It froze on us and would could not even watch our "recorded" programs...How do you get it to unfreeze?

Contributor
darrylh82

unplug it and plug it back in. it works for me always. it doesn't take as long as the old box to reboot. It has been happening a lot less lately. Where you have had it for only 2 days i wonder if it has downloaded the most current software. I know it updates periodically by itself.
New Visitor
rugs37

Does unplugging/replugging it do the same thing as the manual reboot (hold in the green power button for  10 seconds)?  Also, how come the red RECORD light doesn't show on the box when you are taping something?

Contributor
darrylh82

Yes but sometimes I've had the green button unresponsive. I don't know about the red light it would be nice to know if something is recording. you can record 2 shows and watch a 3rd so I have never ran into the recording conflict issue. what also is stupid is that when the box is off you can't see what time it is... so it definitely has issues but it's just so pretty. The menus actually look like they belong on my tv not stuck in the 80s.
Contributor
grod46

I agree the platform does need some work but its still (in my opinion) a vast improvement from the old boxes I had (Motorola RNG200 HD DVR). So far i have not had any problems with the boxes except that the Record LED doesn't light up.

Contributor
ccrotty

I'm outside the Boston area (01701) and can't seem to get the X1.  They keep telling me 'early next year' for availability.

Wonder if this is because of all the problems they are having?

BTW, has anyone been able to compare the X1 with the new DirecTV genie box?

Regular Contributor
acheck981

I agree with snowrain.

Not showing the conflicts in the scheduled section of the DVR is unacceptable.

Having to cycle through the guide every night to see if anything is not recording that I need to find playing at a later time is so frustrating.

Coming from FIOS to Comcast I was already dreading to begin with...but now it has just caused me more work in the process.

Bronze Star Contributor

Hi,

It shows we got some type of firmware upgrade in settings, then about.  I didn't see any changes at all on the X1.  Has anybody received any upgrades, if so what were they?

Thanks, Jerry

Contributor
grod46

I did get a new update too on both of my X1 DVRs.And out of curiosity I plugged in a USB Keyboard and Mouse and to my surprise they both work. Plugging in the Keyboard lets me type out whatever I want to search for and plugging in the mouse brings up a mouse cursor. 

Bronze Star Contributor

Other then what you said, I couldn't find anything else.  I was told the record light would be fixed soon.  They also said the guide would be able to skip one day at a time.  Hopefully they'll fix these soon.

Contributor
Robbyb03

I have had mine for three weeks and it is terrible. It freezes every single time I go to the guide or on demand. 

Contributor
darrylh82

Every time? Sounds defective... To Acheck981 I dvr a lot and it definitely will tell you if there is a conflict. This dvr allows you to record 2 shows and watch a third which alleviated almost all of my conflict issues. As far as seeing what is going to record. Under the dvr menu on the left under "recordings" is "scheduled" in there you can see what's going to record day to day. Also if you want to see when a show is going to air next or if it's available On Demand you go to the guide. Highlight the show or just type the name using the keypad and press the info button. Then you can select the "other times" option and it will display the times and show If it's available On Demand. Hope that helps.
Regular Contributor
acheck981

darrylh82 wrote:
Every time? Sounds defective... To Acheck981 I dvr a lot and it definitely will tell you if there is a conflict. This dvr allows you to record 2 shows and watch a third which alleviated almost all of my conflict issues. As far as seeing what is going to record. Under the dvr menu on the left under "recordings" is "scheduled" in there you can see what's going to record day to day. Also if you want to see when a show is going to air next or if it's available On Demand you go to the guide. Highlight the show or just type the name using the keypad and press the info button. Then you can select the "other times" option and it will display the times and show If it's available On Demand. Hope that helps.

It doesn't show conflicts.  This is my biggest complaint and was confirmed as an issue by the engineers of the X1 platform and was told by them it was going to be corrected in the next update.

Of course you can see what is going to record.....but what about what isn't?...that is what I'm referring to.

Your resolution creates more work...when this is supposedly the "next generation".

I would be more than happy to find a show playing later....but my dvr doesn't tell me when this happens......so my only resolution is to scroll the guide every night to find pretty red circles with lines through them.

New Visitor
Matman67

Would need to agree with OP. First impression is that this DVR and remote are GARBAGE.

Much regression on features.

User interface information density is weak.

System is SLOW.

Capacity the same as old DVR?

Remote misses buttons like FAVORITES.

There is a SPORTS button on the remote. What a stupid waste!

Overall rating 2/10

Contributor

Keep and use your old remote. The new remote is a joke. Play around with your old remote and you will find that use can access all of the features of the new X1 but the buttons may be a bit different.

E.g. the On Demand and DVR button don't do anything but if you use menu button it will pull of access.

Right arrow will bring up the right hand channel guide, etc etc... Play around with it.

By the way this is not an endorsement of this DVR. We should all be getting the DVR for free since we are beta testers. This think is no where ready for prime time....

Regular Contributor
acheck981

Paulsavy wrote:

Keep and use your old remote. The new remote is a joke. Play around with your old remote and you will find that use can access all of the features of the new X1 but the buttons may be a bit different.

E.g. the On Demand and DVR button don't do anything but if you use menu button it will pull of access.

Right arrow will bring up the right hand channel guide, etc etc... Play around with it.

By the way this is not an endorsement of this DVR. We should all be getting the DVR for free since we are beta testers. This think is no where ready for prime time....

I don't have the old remote in any of my rooms...so this is not an option.

Contributor
NorCalChewy

Wow.... So I have an appointment on Thursday for a tech to come out and "upgrade" my current DCX3400 Motorola Anyroom system to the X1.  I know Anyroom isn't yet available and that's OK, but some of these other issues are worrying me.  

I was also considering AT&T Uverse, but the poor HD picture quality that I saw when at a friends house pretty much canceled that idea.

I may explore DirectTV, but I dealing with having a dish installed and more cabling, etc, just sounds like a pain.

So, what to do?  Hmm...

Regular Contributor

NorCalChewy wrote:

Wow.... So I have an appointment on Thursday for a tech to come out and "upgrade" my current DCX3400 Motorola Anyroom system to the X1.  I know Anyroom isn't yet available and that's OK, but some of these other issues are worrying me.

I would stay with the 3400 unless you want to have more issues in your life.

Wait until the bugs get worked out on the X1 or get a Tivo 4 tuner.

Regular Contributor
gweagraff

I actually did call and ask about it, and at first, the rep didn't even know what X1 was, and I had to explain to her. I actually talked to a few people, at first they said it's only available for Triple Play customers, which I'm not. I heard from someone else that it's not available yet in my area (I'm in the Boston area as well, and I know a friend of mine who has it). I did see someone over on DSL reports said that anyone can upgrade if they want, so I'm assuming the availability depends on the area you're in.

Contributor

Stick with your current setup. I have three DVR's one being the X1. I am not sure of ther model #'s on the other two (black and very new) but they are much better than the X1.

There have also been a few tweaks added via software updates you can make to the non-X1 boxes. If you don't know how to get into the sub-menu:

Turn off your cable box

select menu button

you can see the options you can play with

Of course the interface is pre-2000 looking but this is par for the course with CC.

Savy

New Visitor
mahoney-family

to anyone who thinks Comcast sucks compared to other services, then yall need to use dish or another service for a month. my in-laws have dish and i cant stand it at all, and my aunt has direct tv and its just as bad. both of them have guides that drive me nuts when scrolling through to see whats on. i end up using the xfinity app on my iphone to find a show and then have to ask someone what the channel number is for the channel im going to watch. both my in-laws and my aunt hate there service, but they are stuck into a contract. i have also used othere cable services while out of town, and COX is like going back into the 90's with there options. Now i too dont need a phone because all iu use is my cell, but i have 24 months with triple play and it made it way cheaper to get all three then it was to just get cable and internet, by like a lot!! and the Comcast internet is the fastest around, the phone company has no chance against Comcast nor does Hughes net, Now i like the idea comcast hase with the x1 system, but it sounds like they pulled an "apple" lol, Like siri and/or imaps! lol
Regular Contributor
acheck981

mahoney-family wrote:
to anyone who thinks Comcast sucks compared to other services, then yall need to use dish or another service for a month. my in-laws have dish and i cant stand it at all, and my aunt has direct tv and its just as bad. both of them have guides that drive me nuts when scrolling through to see whats on. i end up using the xfinity app on my iphone to find a show and then have to ask someone what the channel number is for the channel im going to watch. both my in-laws and my aunt hate there service, but they are stuck into a contract. i have also used othere cable services while out of town, and COX is like going back into the 90's with there options. Now i too dont need a phone because all iu use is my cell, but i have 24 months with triple play and it made it way cheaper to get all three then it was to just get cable and internet, by like a lot!! and the Comcast internet is the fastest around, the phone company has no chance against Comcast nor does Hughes net, Now i like the idea comcast hase with the x1 system, but it sounds like they pulled an "apple" lol, Like siri and/or imaps! lol

I've been a customer of Verizon, DirecTV, Comcast and Time Warner.

I also rank them in that order.

Unfortunately my only wired option is Comcast where I live currently.

Contributor
darrylh82

Hey just so you guys know, we have our own dedicated x1 box support line. Three I times I've called someone answered immediately no prompts or computers. It took me by surprise at first. Here it is 877-896-8678.

Contributor
NorCalChewy

Update:

I got the new X1 DVR last week.  So far, so good.  I like it.  The box is pretty fast, the interface is awesome and I have had zero problems with the box itself.

I haven't been able to get the X1 iPhone app to work perfectly though.  It recognizes my DVR and some commands work, but some don't.  I

I did get my Logitech Harmony One remote configured and working.  It even does the 30 second skip forward and back.

The most frustrating thing was that the tech that showed up was supposed to show up with 2 X1 HD DVRs and 2 X1 HD boxes.  He showed up with 1 X1 DVR and 2 X1 HD boxes that he couldn't get to work.  I now have an appointment for them to come back out with the rest of the equipment.

Bronze Star Contributor

Hi,

if I may ask, how did you get the 30 second skip feature to work?  I also have the Harmony One?

Appreciate it any help!

Thanks