Regular Contributor
acheck981

Re: X1 DVR is a piece of garbage

darrylh82 wrote:

Hey just so you guys know, we have our own dedicated x1 box support line. Three I times I've called someone answered immediately no prompts or computers. It took me by surprise at first. Here it is 877-896-8678.

I have spoken with them as we'll and have a direct line for one of their reps.  The problem is they have no answers regarding when updates will be released and what will be updated.

ComcastTeds said an update was going to happen before the close of 2012 back in August and that never happened.

New Visitor
MB3134

Thanks for the phone number, it was great to get right throuhg to someone.

Contributor
NorCalChewy

Jerry,

I followed this.  You don't get a confirmation or anything, but all of a sudden it works.  Looks like you lose the 5 min forward skip, which sucks, but I use the 30 second skip way more often.  Haven;t seen a way to keep both.

--------------------------------------

the page up button (pg) is set by default to skip ahead 5 minutes. you can reprogram the box itself so that a page up command will instead skip ahead 30 seconds. from the xfinity xr2 remote, press "Exit" button 3 times, the press "0030".

then try the xfinity xr2 remote, start playing a recording, press "pg up" button. it should now skip 30 seconds. you can then go into your harmony remote and customize your settings for the PVR. assign "PageUp" function to "Skip Forward" button. 

from this link:

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Harmony-Remotes/Harmony-One-Xfinity-PX001ANM-Cable-Box/td-p/842012/pag...

Bronze Star Contributor

Thank you, I'll give it a try!!

Regular Contributor

NorCalChewy wrote:

Jerry,

I followed this.  You don't get a confirmation or anything, but all of a sudden it works.  Looks like you lose the 5 min forward skip, which sucks, but I use the 30 second skip way more often.  Haven;t seen a way to keep both.

--------------------------------------

the page up button (pg) is set by default to skip ahead 5 minutes. you can reprogram the box itself so that a page up command will instead skip ahead 30 seconds. from the xfinity xr2 remote, press "Exit" button 3 times, the press "0030".

then try the xfinity xr2 remote, start playing a recording, press "pg up" button. it should now skip 30 seconds. you can then go into your harmony remote and customize your settings for the PVR. assign "PageUp" function to "Skip Forward" button. 

from this link:

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Harmony-Remotes/Harmony-One-Xfinity-PX001ANM-Cable-Box/td-p/842012/pag...

I think you could have first learned the IR for the 5 minute skip onto the Harmony before you changed the box command to a 30 second skip. After that you learn the IR for the 30 second skip to the Harmony and you would then still have access to both commands. May have change box back to 5 minute but both IR commands should work once learned.

Bronze Star Contributor

Thanks, it worked right away!!  I have both commands, on my Harmony One.

Bronze Star Contributor

Has anybody figured out, how to skip a day at a time on the quide?  Hate having to go hour by hour to get to the next day or days.

Contributor
NorCalChewy

Any idea on how to get it back to 5 mins?

Regular Contributor
acheck981

NorCalChewy wrote:

Any idea on how to get it back to 5 mins?

You follow the same process indicated above, but instead of 0030, you use 0500.

The 4 digit code is minutes in seconds....so if you want to do 10 minutes 1000, 45 seconds 0045.

I have only tested 0500 and 0030.

Visitor
OldBadDad

I’ve had the X1 for 2 weeks now and I have really grown to like it. Except some kind of DVR “outage” last week, and occasional slow reaction to the remote, it’s been steady. As previously mentioned there a few glaring features missing: dual tuners, skip 24 hours in the guide, recording conflict resolution (I have not had this one yet). But there are some features that are light years ahead of the old HD DVR interface.

Search:

• When you search it crosses TV and On Demand and you can schedule from both
  • You can search for movies across all the premium channels at once and by genre. No more digging through HBO, then Showtime, etc.
  • You can filter your results by HD, new arrivals.
  • When searching for a TV show you can now see and episodes guide by season and it shows you all the places it can be found. So if you’re trying to catch up on a season, you can just watch a missing show right from On Demand.
  • The interface looks a lot like Netflix with pictures and everything.
  • Rotten Tomatoes film ratings!

On Demand is MUCH faster in this box.

No ads in the much improved guide.

The UI is light years ahead, it’s actually pretty.

The remote is slimed down but still better than the old silver remote and now has a dedicated TV button so you don’t keep turning off the DVR and losing your buffer.

Lots more space for recordings.

The last 9 includes On Demand and Streampix as well.

I create my route to work in the morning in the traffic app and I can the map on my way out. You can set multiple routes and locations as well.

Supposedly your DVR schedule is the “cloud” and can be moved to replacement boxes.

The box itself is small and now matches my all black component motif.

Steep learning curve for sure though.

Contributor
darrylh82

oldbaddad. what do you mean by no dual tuners? maybe I'm not understanding right. Because unlike before we can record 2 and watch a third. Also I found out something. I have small kids and a touch screen remote and I've had many slow motion "No!" moments where I have had live tv paused. If you use the last button you can go back with your buffer preserved.
Visitor
OldBadDad

Hello darrylh82. Re: dual tuners, I meant being able to swap between them with them paused. Thanks for the tip about the last button, if that works like you mentioned that could be even better as long you can flip between them. I do like the "record 2 and watch a 3rd.

Bronze Star Contributor
HD-Tech

daryll - you mean all of your last 9 buffer is preserved?

Visitor
OldBadDad

HD-Tech wrote: daryll - you mean all of your last 9 buffer is preserved? Hi HD-Tech, I just tested it and does not, but it does hold the previous channels buffer for a minute or so (not really tested fully) so you can flip back to the previous channel in cases of "accidental remote channel change activation".
Contributor
darrylh82

Sorry I wasnt more clear about the last button. Like oldbaddad said its only good for the last channel but In my experience it will keep your normal buffer length. I'd almost be willing to bet that its just a matter of not having the swap tuner button. I'm going to see if I can train my universal to do it. Do you still have your old remote? You might try that if you do. Also on an unrelated note you can get a little bit better picture if you go into the settings and manually change the output to 1080p. Let me be clear Comcast only puts out a 1080i picture but there was an improvement when I changed mine.
New Visitor
MichaelATL

My experience is much the same as everyone else here, even after all of the software updates as of 12-February. Comcast was here again yesterday, and the signal is fine. They are completely out of stock on the DVR box, as our only hope at this point is to try a new one.

Apparently, Comcast first rolled out this platform to employees in what must be termed the 'alpha' testing phase. We're the beta testers as far as I'm concerned, and we shouldn't have to pay to endure these difficulties.

Contributor
Newaza

I can just say this thing sucks. I was a new customer and thought I scored when they installed the X1 -- it's so purdy. But that wears off like a supermodel with a low IQ. After several issues the thing crapped out. Apparently the upgrade killed my box. I don't have time for this. Dish or Direct?
Regular Contributor
briankeith513

This is interesting.  Mostly negative reviews about the X1.  I called to order it this evening, and was surprised to find out that, not only was it required to have a technician to come and install, but you had to pay $45 for installation.  I promptly declined.

Contributor
darrylh82

? I only had to pay $20. They do have to come out though. I have complained too but it is amazing. it's beautiful and for all the dumb things it's got a slew of goods things going for it.
Contributor
Newaza

Just wait. The shiny will wear off soon enough.
Contributor

I returned mine after putting up with it for months. I still had two other DVR's in other rooms so I was constantly reminded how dysfunctional the x1 is. I am back to my three DVR's and satisfied for now. X1 will still come in the future but its not the future yet (at least for the x1).

if you start with x1 as your DVR entry you know no other, so I could see where new customers may think the interface is slick. 

Regular Contributor
briankeith513

darrylh82 wrote:
? I only had to pay $20. They do have to come out though. I have complained too but it is amazing. it's beautiful and for all the dumb things it's got a slew of goods things going for it.

Yeah, well I would have considered trying it for $20, but I already don't like the idea of them having to come out.  The $45 is just too much considering how much I'm already paying per month.  I wonder why they only charged you $20, but told me $45?

Contributor
darrylh82

I was wondering the same thing. maybe location? I'm in concord nh. Plus I got mine before they were offering it to everyone. It was only going to people who were upgrading so I called and demanded it. Ultimately I had to threaten canceling my service to a supervisor before they would do it. Maybe that affected the price? I wonder what everyone else here paid?
Contributor
darrylh82

I spoke with a rep today and she confirmed that I paid $20.10 for the upgrade install. She also said it might vary from region to region but was not sure on that.My latest issue is that after a recent update it now has a pop up that decides to show up frequently reminding me that my dvr is more than 80% full and its going to start deleting stuff. I just feel like it's threatening me and its just really annoying. 80% is too low of a threshold it needs to be@ 90 or 95.
Visitor
MKANET

I know its probably not as funny for all the people struggling to use the X1 DVR service; but, I can help but chuckle every time I see this forum topic popup. :smileygrin:  Hopefully Comcast engineers working on the X1 project read the Comcast Community forum.

Regular Contributor
gweagraff

So wait, are they actually offering it to everyone now? Not just triple-play customers?

Contributor
darrylh82

No it's still only for triple play or if you don't have dvr service and upgrade to it. I just demanded it. Ask to speak to as supervisor tell them you'll go to direct tv if they won't give you one. That's what I did and it worked. The first girl I spoke to when I threatened that told me that she would be more than happy to help me cancel my service. I told her that wasn't acceptable and to tell a supervisor that I wanted to cancel and the supervisor took some prodding when I finally spoke to her. Good luck.
Official Employee
ComcastKaraT

Stan_1 wrote:

please do not waste your money on this.  they want to charge you for installation of the box and after you get it you will have to call comcast at least two to three times per week for problems with the box or the service.  i have called at least 20 times in the last couple of weeks since i got this DVR.  it is a piece of garbage and never should have been released by Comcast when it was not yet ready.

Stan_1 - I am sorry you are having issues with the X1 box. I sent you a PM directly - let's discuss your issues and the best way to resolve them. 

Official Employee
ComcastKaraT

snowrain wrote:

I just got this box yesterday. I live in NH, so that's probably considered the "Boston" area.

However, "on demand" doesn't have all the nice organization submenus that it has on the motorola box (dcx3400).  I like to do the fitness workouts.  It's just one long list and a lot are actually missing.  Meaning they are available but don't show up in the list. I sorted alphabetically to find one I wanted and it wasn't there. I did a search and it showed up.  So the list is incomplete.  And searching only works if you know what you are searching for, you can't browse if half the stuff that is available doesn't show up in the lists.  Why they don't have one database behind different systems is weird.  You'd think the organization would be the same just the "color, fonts, etc" would be different.  Also, tv show are no long divided into a-g,h-n, ...  Which again makes it hard to browse.  They just have to much stuff now and were the subcategories were nice in the past, they are necessary now.  And, obviously, everything that is available should show up in a list!

You only have one "viewing" tuner, not 2 like in the motorola box with their own buffers.  You can't switch between tuners and view 2 different shows, backing up in the buffer to see something you missed.  You can only switch through the "last" mechanism, which is just like changing channels, with no buffer and losing the buffer you had.  Kind of sucks for casual viewing of 2 shows.  If want something like that you have to record both shows and then delete when you are done. You can record 2 shows and watch a third. But again there appears to be only one tuner that displays to the screen and has a buffer.

Deleting a recorded show doesn't really delete but puts in to a folder which is equivalent to a trash can on a computer.  I don't know what happens if you don't erase it but run out of space.  Will it remove what's in the deleted folder to make room?

A real annoying lack of ability, that has been around forever, is the ability to skip ahead a day in the guide. I often will look to see what is on in primetime and then skip a day to see what is in primetime the next day, etc to plan what I want to record.  Currently you can only skip ahead by hour.  If you are trying to see what is going to be on in a few days you have to scroll ahead that far which is a major pain. This is especially difficult since it gets erratic after scrolling a few hours ahead, getting stuck then ending up somewhere in the future, usually way past were you wanted to go or worse back were you started.  It still does the trick were you go from the horizontal several channels to the right by hour or switching to the one channel vertical by hour which you can page through.  But you can't go from one channel to the next in the vertical view like you could.  You have to get out of it totally go to the next channel then go back in.  It all makes browsing and scheduling a real pain.

The remote is a shadow of it's former self.  I can still use my old remote, but I can't bring up the equivalent of the xfinity button bar with it so I can't access ondemand or dvdr stuff with it. I prefer the old remote because it has support for my audio.  Also the new remote doesn't actually turn off the box, the old remote does turn it off. If I could figure out how to program the "xfinity button" onto the old remote, I'd just use that. You need this button to bring up a bar at the top of you screen that allows you to navigate to the dvdr and ondemand as well as what few settings you have.

The new remote doesn't have hard buttons for things like live. Live is a soft button available only when watching a show in the buffer. For everything else (and for that) you have to use the exit button which will eventually work. This brings me to something else, there is a noticible lag before the box does what you tell it to do. I'm talking several seconds often times.  It's very annoying.  And there is no way to program the 30 second skip forward that is available on the motorola boxes. I'm finding watching without to be rather miserable.  It's not just about ads, most shows have stupid parts in them, even the good shows, and I like skipping forward 30 seconds.  If it's still the stupid part I'll skip again, etc.  Fast forwarding doesn't work as well, it makes me seasick and it doesn't stop anywhere near where I tell it to.

snowrain - thank you for your detailed feedback. I shared your suggestions (including On Demand/Browsing comments) with the product management team.

re: Tuners & skip to day in guide- these are common suggestions and the product management team is aware of consumer desire for these enhancements. 

re: deleted folder - yes, the DVR will remove the items in the deleted folder in order to make more room int he DVR

re: live button - you are correct, there is no live button on the XR2 remote, however you can hit the exit button or "LIVE" on the transport bar (you can trigger the transport bar by hitting the down arrow on the remote). I also passed along this comment. 

Official Employee
ComcastKaraT

snowrain wrote:

Here's something really bad I just found out. 

There is no way to get a list of when a series will next be on! Unbelievable.

It's too geekified (and I'm a geek).  They have episode guides now, which is neat on it's own, but when you are trying to see when the next Big Bang is on and what channel, you can't!  It gives you a list of episodes in episode order.  So if it's a 5 season show, you have to scan through 5 seasons of episodes and try to find one that is today or tomorrow.  You can't sort by date (at least not that I've found).  You can only get a "by date" list for a specific episode, not for the series.

This is really poor!  Really poor!  And the whole thing seems to be geared more for on demand than tv.  I happen to like tv.  Oh well, I guess the box is going back because it's unuseable this way.

Another annoying thing is it doesn't tell you what you are currently recording.  The scheduled list only shows future recordings.  You can only tell by going into the recorded shows list, and guessing by time what is currently being recorded.  There is no indicator like the red dots on the motorola boxes.  I wanted to record something and it kept complaining that it would have to cancel something so I would go look and nothing would be there for the current time. I finally figured out the lame setup. No one screen view of what is happening.  Again it's geared for ondemand and not tv viewing/recording I guess.

This is all basic functionality folks.  Really stupid!

snowrain - few more comments

re: red dots for recordings - known bug and we hope to have a resolutions very soon!

re: search by date functionality for series - I passed that along to the product management team.

Contributor

Having some strange behavior over the last 2 months.   Here is the chain of events

- box stops responding to remote control for two to three minutes

- then an error message is displayed "Sorry we are unable to access your Xfinity TV service right now"

- this lasts for about a minute

- then a message with a green progress bar says "Connecting...if the connecting process lasts more than a few minutes...."

- then it executes the remote control codes entered earlier (it must buffer them)

- then the box works normally for a few minutes

- then this pattern repeats in a loop

only way to fix is a full power cycle....this allows the box to function for a day or two before the problem creeps back.  This doesn't appear to correspond with a time of day.  It's happened when the box is busy (recording 2 shows)...and it's happened when the box is not recording.  There is no interruption of the video stream...  Anyone else seen this behavior?

New Visitor
allie-g

Does anyone know how to unpair the x1 remote?

Contributor
MeatAssassin

I received my X1 box last Wednesday and I am still unable to setup series recordings.  They don't show the red circle in the guide and they don't show up in my scheduled recordings.  When they do show up in my scheduled recordings, they don't record.   When I go to the DVR Manager on Comcast's website the channels numbers are all messed up.  It is showing channels 232 and 233 which are not even real channels.  Any ideas?  I am getting tired of calling in and not getting this issue fixed.

Contributor
MeatAssassin

My manual recordings are also showing up as channel 000.   I am so frustrated and Comcast seems to have no idea what is happening or how to fix it.  

Contributor
NorCalChewy

Odd.  I am having none of these problems.  The X1 service works very well for me, with only a few minor annoyances.  Very occasionally, while watching a DVR recording and skipping through the commercials, the system will appear to become unresponsive to remote controls.  A few seconds later it pushes all those commands that I had pressed through.

Overall, I'm very happy with it.  I can't wait till they get the other cable boxes to be able to watch shows off the DVR (Anyroom DVR with existing sattelite boxes).  It is my understanding that is coming in an upcoming software release.

Official Employee
ComcastKaraT

gweagraff wrote:

So wait, are they actually offering it to everyone now? Not just triple-play customers?

gweagraff - thanks for your question. Each market launching the X1 platform differently. Unfortunately, I do not have any information regarding X1 deployment. To determine if X1 is available, I suggest you call 1-800-XFINITY to verify if/when X1 will be available in your area.

Official Employee
ComcastKaraT

allie-g wrote:

Does anyone know how to unpair the x1 remote?

allie-g, thank you for your question. 

Instructions to remove pairing are posted here in the section titled "remove remote control pairing": 

http://media2.comcast.net/anon.comcastonline2/support/help/faqs/remotes/XR2_RemoteControl_rev_122911... 

Contributor
MeatAssassin

So, what is the deal with the series recordings?   This seems to be a known issue that has been going on for weeks.  Why would Comcast even deploy the boxes if series recordings don't work?  This whole experience has been very frustrating.   Does anyone from Comcast monitor these message boards?

Visitor

you can use the old charcol grey remote that lets you setup 3 devices....and im not sure if you have the program paper but you can setup for audio devices on the new one as well

Contributor
MeatAssassin

So, it appears that the problem may have been related to the low pass filter that the technician installed right onto the cable box.  The filter is supposed to be installed outside of the house to bloc the MOCA networking over the cable wires from leaving your house.  Once I removed the filter and restarted and power cycled the X1 box, everything worked fine.

Regular Visitor

Well I still like the X1 despite it's flaws. My wants for the box are follows.

Better conflict notification. Show the shows not recording due to conflict in scheduled shows. It now just kicks another show off the to be recorded list.

Anyroom or at least cloud based storage. I really miss that feature.

Keyword recording. I could tape any thing with the word cycling with the prior dvr. I would have missed a lot of races without that. Sure I have to remove a few shows.

Speed up the cable box version. I am sure it is a low power CPU but it gets annoying to wait for every key press.

Get pandora on the cable box version.
Contributor
MeatAssassin

I am having issues with the box taking 5 - 10 seconds to show the information and be able to play a recorded show. Sometimes it doesn't allow me to play a recorded show at all.  

I also had a problem where it said I had no recordings.  After rebooting the box, my recordings showed up.  I know other people have had this issue.

New Visitor
only1nik

KaraT - I've had my box for 2 months and I share the same frustrations as many of the others who have posted here but the biggest one beside the need to reboot frequently is that it does not let you know if something is not going to be recorded. Any chance that is going to be added?
Contributor
MeatAssassin

Another issue that I've had a few times recently is that the overlay that shows the channel name or says DVR will not go away without rebooting.  This had happened like three times in the last week.  If something is recording and you want to watch something else, this is a problem.

It would be nice if someone from Comcast would acknowldege these issues.  The only messages that seem to get replies are about the remote.

New Visitor
only1nik

Double checked that everything was scheduled to record tonight.  None of the 4 programs recorded even though they were listed on the scheduled page and originally had red dots.  Now they have the cancelled recording dots but there are no conflicts.  The tunes turned to the channels (caught 2 shows in time and pressed record on the remote and they had buffered so I got them).  I used to be a big fan of Comcast.  Have been a customer since they came to Atlanta.  Now I may have to rethink things.  Too frustrating and too expensive to be dealing with these issues.

Contributor
NorCalChewy

My X1 DVR also failed to record some shows last night.  First time this happened to me, but it was frustrating.

New Visitor
chewieconcarne

X1 box has its potential and merits, but it's utter junk at this point.

Every night between 8 and 8:30 it promptly freezes. It takes 1-several hard shutdowns (power pulled out of the box) before it comes back up, and of course takes forever to boot.

After that it works for a short while and then usually after checking out shows or on recordings, the box displays the channel logo and the audio feed starts, but no video gets shown. If you flip around between guide, etc, you can get a split second vid feed going in the preview window. Usually a quick power off and power on brings it back.

Shows are taking forever to schedule to record, and sometimes don't even record right. 

This will be the third time now I'll have a tech out to repair/fix the box. 

First wasn't wiped and was never associated with my account and had the issue described above.

Second, this one, doesn't work and has the issues described above.

My Saturday is now shot again to heck thanks to having to wait for a tech to show up.  Ugh. I hate this box. It's not ready for human consumption yet....

Contributor
darrylh82

well mine actually is starting to work like it's supposed to. No issues requiring a hard reset for over a month. I also realized that they fixed the issue of it not displaying the time when the box was off. I actually had a Comcast rep bs me telling me that because the clock mechanism was so large they did away with that trying to bring the size of the box down! Any way it's back now. Now if I can get the stupid thing to stop threatening me that it's going to delete my stuff because I have more than 80% I'll be pretty happy with it.
Contributor
MeatAssassin

Is anyone else having problems scheduling recordings via the Comcast website?  It worked OK from the iOS app, but it errored out on the web.

New Visitor
Hondawes

To let everyone know who says they have freezing issues there is going to be something wrong with the way it is set up. These boxes have a modem in them so if the signal is not correct to your box you will see those issues. You need an experienced technician to come and fix your configuration. These boxes are run off of the cloud which means you need excellent signal.