Administrator
ComcastLarry

This thread is specifically focused on X1 - DVR questions, suggestions or issues.

Thank You

-ComcastLarry-
New Visitor
PickPark1

Re: X1 - DVR

Just came over from DTV. Found Comcast All Room not same as DTV Whole Home. DVR'S other than main DVR cannot record/delete only view main DVR recordings unlike DTV DVR which can.

Tried higher priced DVR but found it is independent of main and any DVR attached to main-didn't work out for my viewing needs.

Will new X1 DVR fill this difference between what I had and what I have with Comcast.?  Or is it just a remote upgrade?

(My Comcast remote is like flip phone and  my DTV remote was like IPhone in comparison.Sorry to say)

Visitor
leftjab

I've identified and duplicated a problem with cancelling programs that are scheduled to be recorded before they are recorded, which is that the next day cancelled programs will return to the DVR schedule as if they hadn't been cancelled.  If I set up a recording and cancel it a few days in advance, unless I cancel it on the day it is scheduled it reappears on the DVR and records.  Moreoever, if I cancel a recording before it is scheduled and there is already a 2nd recording scheduled at that time, and I set up a 3rd recording to replace the cancelled recording, the cancelled recording will record instead and the new 3rd will not record.  If I check it on the day it is supposed to record, the new 3rd recording will have a red slash in it; when I re-cancel the recording I want to cancel and reset the 3rd recording, the parameters of that 3rd recording are in the system (if I had set up the 3rd recording with extra time, it's still there when I try to reset it).  Clearly if you cancel a recording before it records it shouldn't reappear on the DVR the next day as if it had never been cancelled.

Contributor
macnbc

Just a suggestion:

On my old 8300HD guide, I was able to set series recording start and end times well longer than the X1's 5 minutes. This came in handy for example with CBS's Sunday night shows (Amazing Race, 60 Minutes, Good Wife, etc.) because in the Fall they tend to be postponed because of football, and in the Spring because of NCAA Basketball. These can push shows to be as much as 75-80 minutes late.

On the old box I would set series recordings to add an extra 90 minutes to the end for this lineup, and I always got a complete recording. On the X1 I will not unless I set manual recordings every week.

Could some more options be added to the start and stop times on DVR recordings to accommodate cases like these? (Or better yet, just let you type in how many minutes extra you want on your remote?)

New Visitor
Perkyx2

I know that this was brought up in the the beginning of the now closed X1 forum but there didn't seem to be any answer to it. When you have shows that are set to record and you record another random show that happens to be in the same time slot. Why doesn't it give a warning that the show has a conflict and/or show the conflict in the scheduled recordings folder? That was a great feature with the old STB.

Also as a suggestion if it is possible that you want to record 4 shows all from say 10-11pm. Two shows will record and the dvr will record other two shows at a later time if possible. Just a thought.

Thank you

New Visitor
Nakedeye

Just got the X1 yesterday and a few issue and questions. I'm in Philly area.

When I set anything to record a series, it does not record anything. Even if I change to new and repeats, still nothing does unless I manually select each episode.

Is there a native output like my old 3400? How come my hdmi to dvi cable won't work? Is it an hdcp issue?

Also, how many tuners are working? I think I successfully was able to record 4 programs last night manually.
Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

if you look at the old x1 forum that is now closed above in the sticky all those issues are addressed there.

New Visitor
Nakedeye

Way, way, way too long of a thread. I tried scanning through it but didn't see anything specific to my issue.
Official Employee
ComcastKaraT

Perkyx2 wrote:

I know that this was brought up in the the beginning of the now closed X1 forum but there didn't seem to be any answer to it. When you have shows that are set to record and you record another random show that happens to be in the same time slot. Why doesn't it give a warning that the show has a conflict and/or show the conflict in the scheduled recordings folder? That was a great feature with the old STB.

Also as a suggestion if it is possible that you want to record 4 shows all from say 10-11pm. Two shows will record and the dvr will record other two shows at a later time if possible. Just a thought.

Thank you

thanks for your post, Perkyx2. The X1 team is aware of the conflict recording feedback and looking for ways to improve the experience/messaging. 

I've shared your suggestion re: recording at a later time with the DVR Product manager. 

Official Employee
ComcastKaraT

Nakedeye wrote:
Just got the X1 yesterday and a few issue and questions. I'm in Philly area.

When I set anything to record a series, it does not record anything. Even if I change to new and repeats, still nothing does unless I manually select each episode.

Is there a native output like my old 3400? How come my hdmi to dvi cable won't work? Is it an hdcp issue?

Also, how many tuners are working? I think I successfully was able to record 4 programs last night manually.

Nakedeye - I am going to send you a PM to gather account level information. The issue with series recording was resolved a few weeks ago - you should be able to schedule recordings normally. 

Official Employee
ComcastKaraT
Regular Contributor
acheck981

My DVR is recording Ridiculousness on MTV.  Do not have it set up as a series recording or manual recording.

Regular Contributor
FredNation

[ Edited ]

Via the Comcast Voices Blog it states "Our customers will get a significant benefit with one of our next updates, as we will double the number of programs customers can record on their DVR from two to four and enable them to watch and record up to five shows at the same time.  These updates, which will be enabled for all X1 subscribers later in May". Do you happen to know what exact date? If not can you post an update on when the update is being pushed out? Very excited about recording more then 2 shows! Now what's missing is a bigger hard drive.

Source: Comcast Voices

Official Employee
ComcastKaraT

FredNation wrote:

Via the Comcast Voices Blog it states "Our customers will get a significant benefit with one of our next updates, as we will double the number of programs customers can record on their DVR from two to four and enable them to watch and record up to five shows at the same time.  These updates, which will be enabled for all X1 subscribers later in May". Do you happen to know what exact date? If not can you post an update on when the update is being pushed out? Very excited about recording more then 2 shows! Now what's missing is a bigger hard drive.

Source: Comcast Voices

Thanks, FredNation. I do not have an exact date. Once the product team confirms the additional tuners are available in production, I will post an update on this thread. 

Regular Contributor
acheck981

I was told on the phone yesterday June 11. But who really knows. We were also told that the fast forward within the guide by day would be completed by end of 2012.
Bronze Star Contributor

I was told this morning, that the latest update would be today. This update will enable all 4 turners. I haven't seen it yet. Has anybody received this update.
Jerry
Bronze Star Contributor

Update!! Just received the update and I can confirm, that you now can record 4 programs and watch one. Great update!! Hopefully, we'll get the skip one day on the guide.
Contributor
GoodOmens

I'm having a issue scheduling a recording for one particular series for PBS.

For some reason I can't get it to record new episodes on the correct channel even though I have the series set to record new shows.  All of my other series properly schedule and record.

Here in DC we have three HD PBS stations and it's not picking the one that will air it first.  For instance the show is supposed to air at 9:30 on channel 800 - however it's picking it up at 1AM that evening on a different PBS station.

Regular Problem Solver
C_DM

jerrylyons wrote:
Update!! Just received the update and I can confirm, that you now can record 4 programs and watch one. Great update!! Hopefully, we'll get the skip one day on the guide.

Yeah, looks like this has been rolling out this week--last night I decided to try it out and I was able to record 4 shows at the same time and watch another one while they were recording.

This is certainly quite a big update/feature, and yet surprisingly one that hasn't really gotten publicized much.

Regular Contributor
acheck981

I still have yet to receive this update. Tried hard reboot from within the diagnostic menu.
Regular Problem Solver
C_DM

acheck981 wrote:
I still have yet to receive this update. Tried hard reboot from within the diagnostic menu.

You tried recording more than 2 programs at the same time and got some sort of an error?

Regular Contributor
acheck981

I have 4 scheduled series set to record at the same time. Says it is only going to record the 2 highest on my priority list
Regular Problem Solver
C_DM

acheck981 wrote:
I have 4 scheduled series set to record at the same time. Says it is only going to record the 2 highest on my priority list

You mean that the scheduled list only shows the 2 higher priority ones (and not the other 2)?  Since I don't think I even remember the X1 box ever giving any error/warning messages about conflicts or not recording something during scheduling (unless I somehow never ran into that).

Maybe the scheduled items haven't been quite processed through yet.  You might want to check recording more than 2 things at the same time as they are happening (live basically).

Bronze Star Contributor
ebow

Massive increase in available space?

Last night, as I was on my way to bed, my wife remarked that the DVR showed ~18% full, where it had been at ~50% for several weeks. She had not done any bulk removal of recordings or anything like that. Anyone else noticed this? Is it... unlocked local disk space, "cloud" space available, or a fluke on my DVR? I need to look into it more this evening. 

Regular Problem Solver
C_DM

Re: Massive increase in available space?

ebow wrote:

Last night, as I was on my way to bed, my wife remarked that the DVR showed ~18% full, where it had been at ~50% for several weeks. She had not done any bulk removal of recordings or anything like that. Anyone else noticed this? Is it... unlocked local disk space, "cloud" space available, or a fluke on my DVR? I need to look into it more this evening. 

Or possibly a refresh or a fix of some sort given that there are, or at least were, some known issues with the used space calculation/display.

New Visitor
RocketGremlin

Ok. I am a new customer of about 2 weeks. I have a PACE PR150BNM box in my livingroom for my HDTV. I signed up for HD Premier XF Triple Play. I'm confused. So my bill says I have DVR service and the TV says DVR is disabled. So after an hour on chat with power cycle this and wait an hour that....still no DVR (or caller ID on any tv). The chat rep was great....telling me all about this new X1 box I have and all this stuff I can do now like facebook and pandora. If I have X1, why is the remote a platinum one, not the XR2 one. The guide don't look any different. Caller ID don't work on either tv (which was the second reason I started the chat). So....Is MY box X1? Is it a DVR? Why don't it work? If it is not a DVR, why am I being billed for it? It's been 6 hours and I'm no further ahead than I was this morning. Please fix this!

Regular Problem Solver
C_DM

RocketGremlin wrote:

Ok. I am a new customer of about 2 weeks. I have a PACE PR150BNM box in my livingroom for my HDTV. I signed up for HD Premier XF Triple Play. I'm confused. So my bill says I have DVR service and the TV says DVR is disabled. So after an hour on chat with power cycle this and wait an hour that....still no DVR (or caller ID on any tv). The chat rep was great....telling me all about this new X1 box I have and all this stuff I can do now like facebook and pandora. If I have X1, why is the remote a platinum one, not the XR2 one. The guide don't look any different. Caller ID don't work on either tv (which was the second reason I started the chat). So....Is MY box X1? Is it a DVR? Why don't it work? If it is not a DVR, why am I being billed for it? It's been 6 hours and I'm no further ahead than I was this morning. Please fix this!

An X1 DVR box would typically be a larger Pace PA PX001ANM box.  What you seem to have is a smaller RNG 150 box, which can be a non-DVR X1 (with limited app support), or apparently can even support Comcast's regular/older non-X1 service as well (depending on what software is loaded on it basically).  So, it doesn't seem that you have a DVR, at least not with that particular box, and depending on the software on that box you might not even have X1 "service".

You might want to double check what service and equipemnt you have associated with your account online and talk to Comcast about confirming and/or sorting it all out.

New Visitor
RocketGremlin

They are sending someone out tomorrow to replace the wrong box with the correct box. No charge because Comcast said it was their fault that the installer brought the wrong box with him. I hope it is still that X1 platform. Looked interesting.

Also my called ID was fixed in under 90 secs by a rep over the phone.

All in all it makes me wonder.......What was the dvr update they were "sending" to my non-dvr box, and if I had no dvr, why the whole power cycle procedure. I did notice the yellow light on front lights up once in a while and goes out, but if the new box is coming tomorrow...why bother.

Bronze Star Contributor
bradbortner

X1 - DVR How much internet bandwidth do the X1 boxes use?

I've been tracking my internet usage since I had the X1 box installed using the Xfinity online bandwidth ap. I know that comcast is not (currently) enforcing a bandwidth cap, but I've noticed that I'm using on the order of 4-5 gig a day, which is way more than I believe should be the case. 

I recently swapped by router to a model (netgear r6300) that actually tracks bandwidth usage that goes through it. The reading I'm getting from it is more along the lines of what I'd expect (around 1 gig a day)

I'm beginning to think that the cloud enabled X1 box actually uses quite a bit of bandwidth just to do its normal DVR recording thing. Perhaps it also uses such to download all those software updates.

If comcast never reinstitutes the bandwidth caps, I won't care, but if they do, it seems hardly fair to get hit with surcharges simply because they have changed the nature of their platform. Surely they should be able to track the two different kinds of bandwith utilization. 

Brad

Regular Problem Solver
C_DM

Re: X1 - DVR How much internet bandwidth do the X1 boxes use?

bradbortner wrote:

I've been tracking my internet usage since I had the X1 box installed using the Xfinity online bandwidth ap. I know that comcast is not (currently) enforcing a bandwidth cap, but I've noticed that I'm using on the order of 4-5 gig a day, which is way more than I believe should be the case. 

I recently swapped by router to a model (netgear r6300) that actually tracks bandwidth usage that goes through it. The reading I'm getting from it is more along the lines of what I'd expect (around 1 gig a day)

I'm beginning to think that the cloud enabled X1 box actually uses quite a bit of bandwidth just to do its normal DVR recording thing. Perhaps it also uses such to download all those software updates.

If comcast never reinstitutes the bandwidth caps, I won't care, but if they do, it seems hardly fair to get hit with surcharges simply because they have changed the nature of their platform. Surely they should be able to track the two different kinds of bandwith utilization. 

Brad

The box isn't connected to internet though, so it's hard to see how its usage would be somehow getting reflected in internet usage.

Bronze Star Contributor
bradbortner

Of course its connected to the Internet. That's what all the cloud/IP portion of the box is. That's why the apps work (facebook, weather, etc). The question is how much IP chit chat is going on daily with the box, and whether comcast is going to count that for its cap. There is also a lot of talk of having movies and such delivered via IP (thats Internet Protocal), which will also use bandwidth.  I was hoping not, but seeing how they are counting up usage with their online app, my fear is they will. 

New Visitor
Harule00

X1 update

When will the x1 update to record four shows at once
Contributor
macnbc

bradbortner wrote:

Of course its connected to the Internet. That's what all the cloud/IP portion of the box is. That's why the apps work (facebook, weather, etc). The question is how much IP chit chat is going on daily with the box, and whether comcast is going to count that for its cap. There is also a lot of talk of having movies and such delivered via IP (thats Internet Protocal), which will also use bandwidth.  I was hoping not, but seeing how they are counting up usage with their online app, my fear is they will. 

I don't believe they currently count X1 towards it, nor does it match Comcast's stance on the topic. (Though hopefully we can get official confirmation on that.)

I say that because Comcast doesn't currently count On Demand playback from XBox 360 or Tivo toward their cap, saying it goes over an IP backchannel internally rather than over the internet. Also from what I've seen on Comcast's site, the bandwidth meter is actually tethered to your cable modem (by MAC address) rather than to your overall account. When I switched from Comcast's modem to my own, the meter split that month showing bandwidth for my old cable modem and my new one. Since the X1 doesn't run through your cable modem, that also would keep it off the meter.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: X1 update

No one knows that not even comcast.   Right now you can only do two.  The idea is to have the box do total cloud storage so there would be no need for tuners, but since the box is having issues thats probably way off.

Regular Problem Solver
C_DM

bradbortner wrote:

I should have worded my reply better.  I mean to say that it's not really connected to your home internet connection--be it from Comcast or any other provider.   The box isn't connected to your modem/router and realistically you can have it and cable TV service without even having internet service through Comcast or even at all at your house.  Thus, its usage wouldn't be related to you home internet usage and shouldn't be counted towards any cap that is for that home internet usage.

Even the older/regular boxes use internet in a sense by getting data updates, using VOD, and providing other localized services (weather, etc.), but their usage isn't counted towards any cap that is related to home internet.  The X1 is connected to internet, in a general sense, in the same way that those older/regular boxes are--simply through cable TV coax--so nothing should really be different about that.

Regular Problem Solver
C_DM

[ Edited ]

Actually, as mentioned in a few currently existing X1 threads (in particular the "Settings, Remote & Equipment" and/or "DVR" ones), it looks like the update has rolled out to most of the X1 customers last week...or least certainly started rolling out since it seems at least some people with X1 boxes have posted about now having the ability to record 4 shows at once and watch another one at the same time.  So it's definitely here already.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

the x1 thread is closed and since they reverted back to the old forum the x1 thread is now pages and pages back. 

Official Employee
ComcastKaraT

RocketGremlin wrote:

RocketGremlin - I am going to send you a PM to gather some account details. If you do have an X1 box, you definately should not have the old remote. The Guide should also look different from the blue guide on the older boxes. 

Bronze Star Contributor
bradbortner

The questions is not IF they can distinguish IP traffic from a cable modem from that coming from the cloud enabled X1 box. The question is DO they. I sincerely don't know the answer, and direct questionst to comcast have not resulted in a clear reply...likely tech support does not know.

It is possible that treating IP traffic differently could run afoul of net neutrality rules...What I'm looking for is a statement from someone at comcast who will definitely say "no, we are not counting any IP traffic from/to the X1 box as part of folks Internet usage."

Note that the X1 box is a new design point for comcast, and is (at least currently) only given to folks who are buying a tripple play...at least in the northeast. 

Bronze Star Contributor
bradbortner

How can you tell if that functionality is enabled. Is there anything obvious other than setting up four recordings for the same time and seeing if it works?

Bronze Star Contributor
ebow

Restart message

This morning I turned on my TV and DVR and saw a message superimposed in the lower-right corner of the screen, informing me that the software had been updated, and asking me whether I wanted to restart now or later. Two problems: the message was drawn part way off my screen (some text ran off the right side), and none of my remote's buttons could do anything. I could not use the arrow keys or the OK button to select either "restart now" or "restart later". 

So, I am glad to see that there's now a prompt with options for restarting, but it's not that useful when it does not actually work. 

Regular Problem Solver
C_DM

bradbortner wrote:

How can you tell if that functionality is enabled. Is there anything obvious other than setting up four recordings for the same time and seeing if it works?

Doesn't really seem like there's anything that would indicated it aside from actually having more than 2 things recording at the same time.

Regular Contributor
FredNation

For those of you who are getting the update to record 4 shows at once; what city are you in and what's the date of the timestamp of the update and version number?

Regular Problem Solver
C_DM

FredNation wrote:

For those of you who are getting the update to record 4 shows at once; what city are you in and what's the date of the timestamp of the update and version number?

There's really no version or anything else noticeable in box information that got changed.  Comcast rolled it out to all (or perhaps at least most) of the X1 DVR boxes (the XG1s) in all areas where X1 service is available throughout last week.

Have you tried recording more than 2 shows at the same time recently?  Just in case, have you tried rebooting the box first?

Regular Contributor
FredNation

C_DM Wrote:

There's really no version or anything else noticeable in box information that got changed.  Comcast rolled it out to all (or perhaps at least most) of the X1 DVR boxes (the XG1s) in all areas where X1 service is available throughout last week.

Have you tried recording more than 2 shows at the same time recently?  Just in case, have you tried rebooting the box first?

I haven't received my update but I never did a reboot nither. So I'll do the reboot and see what happens. As for trying to record more then 2 shows, yes I have done that and got a recording conflict.

Recognized Contributor
medziatkowicz

Is there any information on when the pittsburgh area will get the x1 dvr?

Official Employee
ComcastKaraT

macnbc wrote:

bradbortner wrote:

I don't believe they currently count X1 towards it, nor does it match Comcast's stance on the topic. (Though hopefully we can get official confirmation on that.)

I say that because Comcast doesn't currently count On Demand playback from XBox 360 or Tivo toward their cap, saying it goes over an IP backchannel internally rather than over the internet. Also from what I've seen on Comcast's site, the bandwidth meter is actually tethered to your cable modem (by MAC address) rather than to your overall account. When I switched from Comcast's modem to my own, the meter split that month showing bandwidth for my old cable modem and my new one. Since the X1 doesn't run through your cable modem, that also would keep it off the meter.

The X1 Platform set-top boxes connect to the Comcast cloud servers using a dedicated connection that is not shared with your high-speed data connection, and the traffic used by the X1 Platform is not counted against your data modem usage.

Official Employee
ComcastKaraT

medziatkowicz wrote:

Is there any information on when the pittsburgh area will get the x1 dvr?

Medziatkowicz - Unfortunatley, I do not have any information regarding X1 deployment. For more information, please contact 1-800-COMCAST to see if the X1 Platform is available in your area. Thanks!

Bronze Star Contributor
bradbortner

Ah, an answer that I can understand and actually is plausable. Thanks to both of you!

I think it is timely, since I'm getting a sense that some sort of new bandwidth plan is on the horizon. Something about a 300 meg tier, and then tiers beyond that. Nothing official yet. 

Brad

Official Employee
ComcastKaraT

bradbortner wrote:

Thanks, Bradbortner for your question. There is no visual indication of the 4 recordings feature. The functionality is turned on for all X1 customers as of today's date.