Regular Contributor

Re: X1 Forum

Hi,

I've had my X1 for 2 months now.  Has anybody figured out how to skip a day or more on the guide?  Going hour by hour takes forever.

Thanks, Jerry

Bronze Star Contributor
sammsterling

i really dont see what the big deal about netfix or pandora on these cable boxes.  dont most people who can afford a dvr and the costs of comcast have a bluray or other device that already does these functions.  i dont use my tivo for netflix because there are sometimes bugs that affect the box.  now the pandora i do use on the tivo because it has a nicer interface than my bluray.  

and i do believe it would be a disaster for comcast to roll out this X1 platform because of what i am reading in this forum.  it is horrifying.  it is hard for me to believe they are even doing a small rollout.  how many things are there to test in a DVR.  i could know them all out in less than an hour.  its pitiful.  as for the cloud....great concept, gotta see it work....next decade maybe.  gee i wonder how many recordings will go away "in the great cloud in the sky"???!!!   LOLOL.

Bronze Star Contributor
sammsterling

ok, i did not read that back before i posted it.  where are my question marks????  and i meant to say KNOCK them out (referring to bugs in the dvr).  GETTING OLD HERE.  LOL.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

jerrylyons, the ability to skip forward by day is another feature that was left out of the x1.  

Regular Contributor

Thanks!!  Sure hope they can fix it soon!!

Bronze Star Contributor
sammsterling

Rog, Tivo is exactly the same.  although when they roll out, they really roll out.  u may have read i got fed up and got a tivo premier elite in 05/2012.  expensive but so much better than being at 90+% all the time.  useless comcast!  but the tivo software is lacking and the last fall update in 11/2012 was a disater.  took me 2 months but i finally got to a real level 2 only because i answered someone in the tivo forum who turned out to be a programming manager for tivo and he elevated it.  much too long a story.  anyway, the horrendous bugs AND things that they actually tried to fix and messed up so bad (only people like us would know) in that update go me going and when i go, i go..... i been in IT for over 30 years.  i know how to get around and dont let go.  i been around and around with comcast for years years ago about the ESATA extension drive, since dish introduced it years ago.  guess that was much more than 5 years ago.  gee, did not take them long, eh?  and when will the get their head out of their rear about mpeg-4 which everyone else has and will quadruple recording space.  OH COMCAST (sigh).  so so many billions and no brains to know what to do with it.  ok, as usual, end rant.

Recognized Contributor
MikeWolf

In Comcast's defense, Cisco and SA equipment that had an eSATA port have had it enabled for as long as I can remember, at least since 2008. For once, the Motorola customers are finally playing catchup and getting this feature.

Contributor
BekahGoldstein

I am no longer able to pause, fast forward or rewind.  How do I fix this?

Contributor
BekahGoldstein

We just recently got our boxes last Thursday.  We were able to search for shows.  Now, we are unable to do so. Instead we get the message "There are no results that match your result"  even when I press the red c for keyboard.  help

New Visitor

Does comcast have any plans to allow customers to be able to skip forward a day or days when viewing the guide? That feature is available on the other guide . That's one of the main reasons I have a dvr , being able to look ahead and see what's on and choosing what I want to record.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: X1 guide

There is a sticky for the x1 right above where you posted.   comcast is aware that feature was left out  and has notified the programming people. 

Regular Contributor
HD-Tech

I have has 2 X1s for about 3 weeks now. Overall I like it but some quirks. New issue has come up that my buffer on the most recent "last channel" is gone. Since there is no way to discretely swap tuners like the old box, it was pointed out in another x1 thread that if you use your LAST function, the most recent channel retains its buffer. And that worked for about 2 weeks. But on both boxes, it no longer works. Soft and hard resets didnt fix it.
Regular Contributor
HD-Tech

Re: Menu "Ghosts" on-screen w/ X1 DVR

PSUMattDE wrote:

Since I got my DVR a little over a week ago - i've run into this instance twice now. Only a reboot fixes it.

Say I'm watching something that's recorded. Once it's done - the menu pops up to delete it. When I go to delete it - it will also show a list of other episodes of the show on the far right in case I want to watch it (great idea!)

However - when I delete the show - that list of other episodes gets "ghosted" onto the screen after you exit out and go back to watching live TV.

Meaning, you can see faintly the list of the programs in the background far right of the screen. No matter what new menus you bring up - it never disappears.

I has this issue last night.  Soft boot was my only way out too

Contributor
BekahGoldstein

Soft reboot?

How do we do a soft reboot? maybe that would take care of the no results message when I try doing a search and the not able to pause, FF or rewind issue.

Recognized Contributor
MikeWolf

[ Edited ]

Sam I was in the same boat you were. When I moved into Ocean County, NJ back in 1999, we had Adelphia and used Motorola set tops, when Comcast bought them out I think in 2002 or 2003, everything was switched over to Scientific Atlanta with the Explorer 2200, Explorer 940, Explorer 4200HD, and Explorer 8000HD DVR. I'm just sick of the Scientfic Atlanta areas being an afterthought. I mean heck even the S26 software being rolled out now is still years behind in features compared to the Motorola A30 software being rolled out. The X1 software is going to be amazing once it's more widely available on more devices.

Bronze Star Contributor
ebow

system maintenance message

Not the end of the world, but I got this message tonight after I finished watching a recorded show: 

"Due to system maintenance, DVR is unavailable. This feature will be ready shortly."

Two things: I was just using the DVR to play back a show, but you can't show me the listing all of a sudden? And aren't my recordings local content that should be available regardless of what Comcast is doing? 

Weird. 

Recognized Contributor
MikeWolf

Re: system maintenance message

[ Edited ]

I'm not sure if the content is being stored locally or on the cloud at this point, and I think since from what I've been told all the menus, guide data, graphics, logos and everything is supposed to be streamed to the X1 box, it would make sense that the list of recorded shows can't be showed. This is what I've been worried about with the move to a fully cloud based system, users not being able to access their recorded shows during a local or regional outage. Hense why local storage is better.

Pretty cool that you got a system maintenance message though, I don't think Comcast has ever actually sent out a message in the notification system they use to promote pay per view and special offer events.

Bronze Star Contributor

[ Edited ]

ebow wrote:

Not the end of the world, but I got this message tonight after I finished watching a recorded show: 

"Due to system maintenance, DVR is unavailable. This feature will be ready shortly."

Two things: I was just using the DVR to play back a show, but you can't show me the listing all of a sudden? And aren't my recordings local content that should be available regardless of what Comcast is doing? 

Weird. 

Had the same message on one of our boxes tonight - checked the other box and it was OK.  So I went into the Scheduled Recordings to see what it might be recording (thinking about rebooting it) and then back out and the recordings were available and it worked fine.  Strange.  Maybe the message was spurious but I'm surprised others saw it too.

One would think if the shows are recorded onto the DVR (hence the x% full indication), that they would play back no matter what maintenance was going on - and they did for us after giving it a nudge.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

all comcast dvrs need a connection to comcast for the dvr to work even if there is a program stored locally on that hard drive. 

New Visitor
PHubb1

Re: Favorites on X1

1.Series Recording is not working. I am also having this issue.

2. When I am watching a show and I hit the record buton it takes like 6+ minutes to show up in the recorded list. I am also having this issue.

4. Also when I set recordings a lot of them are not being recorded and I am missing my shows  I am also having this issue.

Contributor
Draxus

Re: Favorites on X1

Is anyone else with an X1 being spammed with messages saying the DVR is almost full? I can't see any way to disable these warnings in the settings. 

Why would there ever be a warning about sotrage space? By their nature DVR's will always fill up and need to auto-delete old recordings. This is why we're given options for this behavior whenever we set up a series to record. The only time a warning would be justified would be if every series I'm recording was set to never delete any episodes, but I doubt anyone uses their DVR this way.

Bronze Star Contributor

rog286713 wrote:

all comcast dvrs need a connection to comcast for the dvr to work even if there is a program stored locally on that hard drive. 

In the past we could watch DVR shows as long as the (old) box had not had a power loss - even when the cable was out.

Contributor
BekahGoldstein

We just recently got our boxes last Thursday.  We were able to search for shows.  Now, we are unable to do so. Instead we get the message "There are no results that match your result"  even when I press the red c for keyboard.  help

Bronze Star Contributor
ebow

BekahGoldstein wrote:

Sorry if you've already done this, but have you tried resetting your box? Unplug the power for about 2 minutes, plug back in, then try again. 

New Visitor
PHubb1

Tried to order a video On Demand last night and tonight and received Diagnosis Code #22. Called customer service, spent 30 minutes on the phone with someone who could not resolve my problem. She reports this is a billing issue but billing is closed and won't resolve it until Monday morning?? Now the On Demand (the free ones, which I can watch) are skipping and the picture/audio is terrible. What is going on here? (And yes, I have refreshed, unplugged, and crossed my fingers already)

New Visitor
kevingossett047

X1 equipment backordered

I have been trying to order the X1 service for 2 weeks and I keep getting told that Comcast has no X1 boxes and that they are on backorder. I live in the Atlanta area and I would like to know how much longer before I will be able to order X1.

Visitor

X1 DVR Questions

I'm still learning how to navigate the new technology on the X1 DVR box and I have some questions.  When I delete a recorded program, I noticed that it goes to the Deleted ("Recycle"?) folder, where it can be retrieved to be watched again if I wish to do so. 

-The amount of programming in the Deletedfolder does not seem to affect the % of space available for recorded programming.  Why is that?  Is the Deleted programming held in a separate partition of the DVR disc or is it held by means of Cloud storage?

-Is there a limit to the size of the Deleted folder?

-Does programming in the Deleted folder have to be manually Erased?

-Does programming in the Deleted folder get erased automatically, either due to space limitations or after the # of days held in the Deleted folder, either by means of a FIFO or LIFO basis?

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: X1 DVR Questions

well I I am not comast but obviously if the program just moves from the  current recordings to the trash it still takes up the same space as its just moving from one spot to the other. 

Recognized Contributor
MikeWolf

Re: X1 DVR Questions

I'm just going to hazard a guess and assume that if something is put into the deleted folder it's still there on the hard drive until it's written over and reclaimed by usage.

Bronze Star Contributor

[ Edited ]

two guesses  - Ok....:smileymischief:

the workings of these boxes seem more or less a mystery.

Recognized Contributor
MikeWolf

Re: X1 equipment backordered

I spoke to an X1 tech over the phone about a month or so ago and he told me that there were a few different types of X1 models out being tested specifically in the Atlanta service area, such as one that "would blow everyone away with it's awesomeness" I had everything in notepad and my computer restarted overnight and lost it.

Regular Contributor
gate1975mlm

[ Edited ]

MikeWolf wrote:

I spoke to an X1 tech over the phone about a month or so ago and he told me that there were a few different types of X1 models out being tested specifically in the Atlanta service area, such as one that "would blow everyone away with it's awesomeness" I had everything in notepad and my computer restarted overnight and lost it.

That sounds exciting! :smileyhappy:

The current X1 that I have is good but there is so much room for improvment! So I am looking forward to hearing more about these better more awesom that will blow me away X1 boxes :smileyhappy: lol

Contributor
dano0o

Mutli-room X1 DVR 

If I add three X1 boxes replacing my Anyroom DVR service, can I play my rocordings on X1 from any X1 box I have in my home?

Contributor
dano0o

Can you view recordings from one X1 box at another X1 box in your home or on the road with your App?

New Visitor
emsed1

Is this the correct forum to ask about X1 rollout?  I am in Urbana, IL.

Thanks

Bronze Star Contributor

[ Edited ]

kevingossett047 wrote:

I have been trying to order the X1 service for 2 weeks and I keep getting told that Comcast has no X1 boxes and that they are on backorder. I live in the Atlanta area and I would like to know how much longer before I will be able to order X1.

We're in Dunwoody (dekalb) - got two "X1" boxes about a week ago.  The woman who upgraded us to Triple Play said we should call sales and ask for the new boxes - she said she had one and it was way cool, so we did and they came out a couple of days later with them.  I made sure to mention the Triple Play upgrade conversation in case that would get us priority - not sure if it mattered or not.

So now we are "testers" :smileyplain: :smileyhappy:

BTW - just checked this - http://www.comcast.com/x1 - fine print:

"Not available in all areas. Request X1 platform with your Triple Play when you order. Restrictions apply. © 2012 Comcast. All rights reserved."

So maybe that did matter after all.  I see several X1 articles stating that it is only for new or upgrading Triple Play customers. :smileyshocked:

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

comcast will not supply any info on future deployments of the x1 box on here.

Yes it seems like all the early adopters are basically testing it for the rest of the us.  

New Visitor
emsed1

Well maybe they will get the kinks worked out.  :smileylaugh:

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Lets hope so I am waiting while I see today that the dish hopper now has sling box included in it for streaming in the home, why its so hard for the biggest cable company in america to have new boxes and technology is beyone me, but I would love someone from comcast to answer that.  

Recognized Contributor
MikeWolf

[ Edited ]

Some interesting info in this article http://www.lightreading.com/network-dvr/comcast-execs-talk-up-x2-cloud-dvr/240144700  and http://www.lightreading.com/set-top-boxes/comcasts-iponly-settop-unveiled/240143593 regarding something called X2, something called XI3

I find it interesting that Comcast is already focusing on X2 and other projects when they haven't even finished the X1 project, not even available to the masses regardless of service tiers yet, not even available on the currently deployed RNG equipment as a whole yet.

What makes Boston (or New England) and other test markets such as Augusta Georgia that always get the new stuff first better then the rest of the towns and cities Comcast services? Does Comcast think the customers and engineers in those areas are smarter and able to figure out new technology more easily? Why is there constantly a bias? Why is there no rotation on each and every area Comcast services to be a test market? If the reason is because they don't have the staff or resources or engineers, why not get more of them, or relocate them? Comcast certainly can afford it and it's both a show of good faith on Comcast's part that they actually care about their customers and a good way of improving their entire system end to end technologically speaking and better trained employees speaking.

Regular Contributor
HD-Tech

I agree.  I would think they would be better served to try to find highly technical users who can act as beta testers (regardless of location). This would increase the quality of the feedback and they could further incentivize these beta testers for quantity of feedback with perks.  Imagine the result.  The bugs would be worked out faster and they would be able to release the product to the masses in a much faster time scale.  The acceptance should be better because the amount of hiccups in the version that comes out of beta testing will be more robust and as Apple says, "it just works"

Bronze Star Contributor
bkyle7301

sammsterling wrote:

i really dont see what the big deal about netfix or pandora on these cable boxes.  dont most people who can afford a dvr and the costs of comcast have a bluray or other device that already does these functions.  i dont use my tivo for netflix because there are sometimes bugs that affect the box.  now the pandora i do use on the tivo because it has a nicer interface than my bluray.  

and i do believe it would be a disaster for comcast to roll out this X1 platform because of what i am reading in this forum.  it is horrifying.  it is hard for me to believe they are even doing a small rollout.  how many things are there to test in a DVR.  i could know them all out in less than an hour.  its pitiful.  as for the cloud....great concept, gotta see it work....next decade maybe.  gee i wonder how many recordings will go away "in the great cloud in the sky"???!!!   LOLOL.

you are so correct!! I have a Roku and a Sony Blue Ray that has all the app that you need!! Comcast/xfintiy should concentrate on Hard Drive space, tuners/feeds to compare with the Genie,Hopper,and Tivo I keep harping on this but IMO customers would like more oiptions in recording shows!! plus the Sony Playstation Three has everything you need(Hulu+ netflix, crackle, cineanow,vudu amazon you tube sony's movie and music plus more) now for Xbox as all the main one as PS3 plus thier own music service they even off sony movie's but not thir music plus more) now point no need for apps for the X1

Regular Contributor

Can anyone answer this question?  Is Apps (Facebook & Twitter) only available on the DVR box.  It appears to be missing on the other boxes.

Thomas

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

apps are only available on the x1 box, what do you mean other boxes?

Regular Contributor

I have one X1 DVR box and 4 X1 non DVR boxes.  APPs for Facebook, twitter are on the DVR but not on the others.

Thomas

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Thats interesting I was not aware there were non dvr x1 boxes.  You learn something new everyday.

Contributor
derbystar16

When is zip code 18643 getting the X1 Guide?
Bronze Star Contributor

[ Edited ]

derbystar16 wrote: When is zip code 18643 getting the X1 Guide?

http://www.comcast.com/x1form

Contributor
derbystar16

Hi screenname137, I don't want to be notified when X1 is available in my area, I want to know when it WILL be available in my area. For all I know, It could take 2 years before it actually comes to my area. I'd like to use the information so that I can make the decision on whether to stick with Comcast or go with DirecTv.
Contributor
Vectrexer

About the X1 Remote, I thought it was support to be an RF remote?    I have found that unless I point the remote directly at the box, there is no control of the X1 service.

I have already tried pair the remote with my box (Pace PR150BNM X1) a couple of times.   The pairing action works as expected using the directions from the xfinity web site and the one included when the X1 service was installed.  However it seems the remote still operates only via IR (infrared) control.

An I missing something here?

The remote is the XR2 R2