New Visitor
XRave

X1 and comcast over charging

[ Edited ]

Hi I was wondering if anyone else had this problem. Today I called comcast to see about getting the X1 and I was told I could only get it if I upgrade to triple play. for $180 a month. This seems completely rediculous to me considering I already pay them $160 a month for outdated hardware. Now they expect me to pay more for a phone service I wouldn't even use at all. I have been a customer for almost 15 years and this kind of thing makes me think really hard about going to Dish or direct tv. At least they have equipment that has all the features and would still give me a good deal.

Bronze Star Contributor
TurnerBrewer

Re: X1 and comcast over charging

[ Edited ]

Welcome to the "Awesomeness of Comcast"! I have been told that same line....

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

the x1 box is currently only available for triple play subscribers you are correct. 

The opinions expressed by me on this forum are mine only as a customer. I do not work for comcast nor do I represent them in any way.

The opinions expressed by me on this forum are mine only as a customer. I do not work for comcast nor do I represent them in any way.

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

You might be able to convince them to offer you triple play pref plus or whatever you have at a lower price  for the first year, and higher for the second year and even higher for the third year which would go to $180,

they often give those sort of deals if you make a 2 year commitment.

I would guess they would come down to 150 or 160 for the first year and 160 or 170 for the second year.

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

Also the triple play pref plus and higher has blast internet which gives you at least 30 mbps, and 50 mbps on the east coast,  then you can do multiple netflix in hd without lagging.

I think you get the phone for almost nothing in the triple play pref plus package and higher.

You can just set it to forward to your cell phone and forget about it if you don't want a land phone.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

have you read the x1 forum at the link below.  if you did you might think again.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/X1-Forum/td-p/1557105

Connection Expert
EG

cjerian wrote:

Also the triple play pref plus and higher has blast internet which gives you at least 30 mbps,

FWIW, that's 25/4 sustained not 30. In some market areas Blast is still only 20/4, 20/2, or 16/2.

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

X1 is in philadelphia according to google and Blast is upgraded to 50 in philadelphia.

New Visitor
XRave

Well I live in the bay area and I already pay for blast which is 30 down and 5 up. As far as triple play goes thats my issue I don't need some extra showtime or cinemax channels I pay for hbo because I watch it. I don't use a home phone because I have no need for one with a cellphone. The X1 has 3 tunners so recording 2 shows and watch another is great not to mention the nicer looking UI because the blue one is slow laggy, and is always harder to search for things with. I just think as a loyal customer of many years we should not be penalized for not being new and left with old equipment. This may work with some customers who don't care but for those like me sooner or later we will switch because where is the value in the money we pay when we can't even receive the latest advances that make the user experience better.

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

Well blast preferered plus include blast + hbo + hd + startz + a phone you don't want,

but the bundle might cost about the same as what you pay anyway.

Bundles are like microsoft office, not everyone likes all the parts, but somebody likes some part,

so the price is based on something like I like word a lot, I write, the bookeeper likes excel a lot,

the  salesman wants powerpoint.   The bundle costs about 2x any one app for 4.

So for each person one is worth full price and the others are worth 1/3 of full price.

This makes it easier to price things and get more stuff sold.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

most times the triple costs less than double and you dont have to use the phone service. 

New Visitor
XRave

true but in this case it does not, according to the rep on the phone triple will cost me 180 before taxes when I already pay 155 after taxes. So why would I pay more to have a better interface and user experience for what I already pay for. According to them only triple play people can have the X1 when I know for  fact my best friend who I got to switch to comcast just a couple days ago got double play and the X1.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds