Contributor
Newaza

X1 mini-review from a new customer

Please forgive any n00b things I say, for I am truly a n00b.

I was cable-free since 1998 but got sold on the Triple Play during a recent move. "What the heck," I thought, "it's not much more than my Internet and phone service now."

First up, install issues involving transferring my old number. But I'll save that for another time and just focus on the X1.

OK, after a few delays, the system is up and running -- apparently. But the Caller ID function is not working. Call after call, service request. The same story. Again, I'll skip the details, but say that once it left normal customer service chains, it got fixed remotely.

So, on to the new system. It's pretty cool to me. I have another TV that uses the old system and they are night and day as far as GUI. Everything is much better looking, especially on my 55" plasma. It's sharp and responsive -- for the most part. It has a few kinks, as others have mentioned, and I had an On Demand issue. Again, normal customer service reps were stumped. But it got fixed after three escalations to the X1 team.

Being new, I don't miss any of the "old" features because I primarily use the new one and don't have a reference point anyway. I can see lots of areas that have potential for improvement, but overall the thing is sweet.

Contributor
Newaza

Re: X1 mini-review from a new customer

Oh, yeah, feel free to ask me any questions related to the X1 and I'll do my best to answer them, but keep in mind it's all new to me, so I have no reference point.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

thanks for sharing, pretty much no one here has the x1 as its only available in a handfull of markets. 

Bronze Star Contributor

Hi,

i have had the X1 for a week now.  It's really different the the DCX3400.  From what i hear, they still have plenty of upgrades to do.  I have a few problems that, I hope they take care of.

1.  When in guide, you cannot jump ahead, a full day.  Hopefully a fix soon.

2.  Caller ID not working

3.  Record light on X1 not lighting

4.  Not sure, how we get message updates yet

5.  Having problems with audio, stereo and surround switching on my Denon and my Logitech Harmony Remote.  Worked perfect with the DCX.

I'll post back to see if, anyone else is having these problems and to see if any new updates are coming soon.

Thanks, Jerry

Bronze Star Contributor

Forgot to add, no 30 second skip code!

Bronze Problem Solver
manamok

jerrylyons wrote:

Hi,

i have had the X1 for a week now.  It's really different the the DCX3400.  From what i hear, they still have plenty of upgrades to do.  I have a few problems that, I hope they take care of.

1.  When in guide, you cannot jump ahead, a full day.  Hopefully a fix soon.

2.  Caller ID not working

3.  Record light on X1 not lighting

4.  Not sure, how we get message updates yet

5.  Having problems with audio, stereo and surround switching on my Denon and my Logitech Harmony Remote.  Worked perfect with the DCX.

I'll post back to see if, anyone else is having these problems and to see if any new updates are coming soon.

Thanks, Jerry

I have the X1 also - was told by Comcast within the past week that:  "The Day + feature is planned to be added to the On-Screen Guide 3.0 very soon."    No compatibility problems with my older SONY receiver.   Didn't realize there was a "record" light on the X1 and not sure about the caller ID feature. 

Jim

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

dont know if any of you have the guide for that box but here is one.

http://x1.comcast.net/webportal/assets/pdfs/X1Platform_UserGuide.pdf

Bronze Problem Solver
manamok

rog286713 wrote:

dont know if any of you have the guide for that box but here is one.

http://x1.comcast.net/webportal/assets/pdfs/X1Platform_UserGuide.pdf

Thanks - this could come in handy.

Contributor
Newaza

I had problems with Caller ID as well. No one really knew what to do until it got excalated to someone on the X1 team who figured it out. It was software related though, that I'm sure of.

Bronze Star Contributor

My caller id started working yesterday.  How do we know if there are any messages on the X1, like on the others, the light lit up?

Contributor
Newaza

That's a great question, and a feature that would be useful. What I've done is installed the Xfinity apps on my iPhone and iPad so that I know when I have a new voicemail and I can have caller ID while away from home. It's pretty nifty, but until I figured out how to do that, the only way I knew I had a message was by picking up the receiver.

Bronze Star Contributor

I've got the app also, very nice feature!  Would be nice know, what is coming up for the X1 somewhere online to keep up to date?  Anyone have a link or know more then what's on this thread?

Thanks, erry

Bronze Star Contributor

FYI,

Just got off the phone with X1 support.  I asked them, how will we know when a new feature is available.  She talked with a higher tier support and they said it should show up on your screen, when a new feature is available.  Has anybody seen anything come up on their screen about a new feature yet?  I've only had my X1 for a week now.

Thanks, Jerry