New Visitor
Pashi

Xfinity on PS3

Hi,

I would like to know if I can play Xfinity TV through PS3 straight onto TV apart from on iPhone & iPad. Thanks.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: Xfinity on PS3

that is not possible as the ps3 does not have a tv tuner

Contributor
ruascott

I'm pretty sure the question was asking if he could access the xfininty online streaming content through his PS3....something similar to Netflix.

The answer is no. Comcast of course should be able to provide something like this that would be adding value to their product, but that of course will never happen.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

you may be right but since the post was unclear I thought they wanted live tv.  They can also output the content from the ipad or phone to the tv if they get the right cable which would  be an answer.

Contributor

I should have read this before I wasted over an hour trying to watch BBC's Luther through the PS3 last evening.......again deeply disappointed with some of Comcast's services

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

its the ps3 that has the limitation not comcast, you cant watch anything on the ps3 from fios either.

Regular Contributor
merkk

Sorry - i dont understand how it's a limitation of the PS3 if comcast or fios doesn't make the content available through some standard format. Or does the comcast tuner box support streaming media over a home network? I'm new to comcast so not entirely sure what feature set their hd-dvr supports.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

A Comcast box will not do streaming over a home TCP/IP network at this time.  A Comcast box is pretty much self contained unless you subscribe to the AnyRoom DVR option where the recordings can be streamed to 2 other HD Comcast boxes in the home.

There's been no posts about streaming Comcast content to a PS3.

There has been recent posts about this steaming feature coming to Xbox 360 over Comcast's library of shows, there were other cable co's announcing the same thing.  Right now only U-Verse has this capability along with using a Xbox as a digital set top box.

The steaming over Xbox360 from Comcast is coming, no dates have been announced.  I believe you will need to subscribe to Microsoft's Xbox live service.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

jay is correct about the xbox service, but if you already have comcast its useless, you already get what the xbox is going to give you.   The service is meant for those who do not have comcast service and will be able to sign up for it through the xbox.  What exactly are you trying to do through the ps 3?  I have a ps3 and an xbox and comcast so if you try to explain what your trying to do maybe I can tell you a way to do it

Contributor

On the PS3, I went to the internet browser, then went to xfinitytv.com, then tried to view the BBC series, Luther.  Apparently the internet browser on the PS3 is not the same as the internet browser on our computer, although I haven't tried to view xfinitytv.com on my computer (too small of a screen and in an inconvenient tv viewing area)......this would have been a nice feature as the "on demand" shows on our cable box are not always updated weekly....... thank you for your offer of assistance.......we are really novices with the PS3 and the internet thing it appears....just wanted to watch tv, that's all.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

why dont you hook up your laptop to your tv and output the signal to it.?

Contributor

I'll have to ask Santa for one for Christmas  :smileyhappy:

New Visitor
Fentontech

Um.... Did a Comcast Representative really just answer the question like that??? Amazing......

Know your technology...............

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

No Official Comcast employees have posted to this thread.  Comcast employees have their name in red.

New Visitor
GentLogic

"why dont you hook up your laptop to your tv and output the signal to it?"

No surround sound that way sweetheart...

Why can't I utlilize the benefits of hooking up my Sony laptop to the ps3 wirelessly thru my network and watch Xfinity on demand (all of it, free and pay!!!) with digital surround sound already connected to the PS3? Provided, of course, that I have the correct connections and a very fast internet connection at that? Is it really THAT MUCH TO ASK??

I don't celebrate christmas, so the Santa option is out.

New Visitor

i would like to see this feature as well.  With comcast nickel and dime'ing customers to receive "digital" cable, this is the least they can do. 

I have 5 tvs in the house - I really don't see value in paying extra on top of the programming bill just to be able to view the channels that I paid for on all TVs.  It shouldn't cost Comcast any more to support additional digitial tuners in my household <end rant>

New Visitor
maddizzle178

They are for the Xbox 360 which makes me think the ps3 wont be far behind.

New Visitor
bojive

u can run it threw your surround i plug mine into my pioneer reciver with hdmi the it goes threw my surround unless you dont have a reciver then I dont know but im sure theres a way. what kind of equipment do u have

New Visitor
bojive

Dont feel bad ive had comcast foe 3 years now and where I live we dont even have on demand yet when I first got it they said 6 months and we would have it. Ya right going on 3 years now and we pay the same amount as everybody else. sucks

New Visitor

The PS3 app should be around in 2012, based on what I have a read (and the fact that xbox360 is available)

It's a joke that PS3/Xbox360 have been around for a while and we are now just getting this capablity.  Ipad has been around less than 2 years and there's already an Ipad APP for xfniity.

What gives???

Regular Contributor
merkk

my guess as to what gives - whoever makes these decisions is more of a marketing person then anything else. The ipad is in the news way more then the ps3 or xbox is. Since the ipad is the hot thing right now, that's what they focus on.

New Visitor
Dom26

What kind of cable is needed to run from iPad to tv and where can I get it.
Regular Contributor
merkk

New Visitor
bojive

I'm sure you find what u need on eBay. That's where I got mine for my mac book it was ten dollars. Or on the apple we sight but will cost more I'm sure.
New Visitor
NukeADN

Im sure the original poster was asking about a PS3 "app" that would allow us to watch xfniity, but I would be happy with an internet browser that supported the flash/java or whatever xfinity.com uses to stream its video!! 

there was a recent update to the PS3 software, whose description said something about updating the browser capabilities, but i was disappointed when i got the same results.

Of course, i can hook up my laptop and watch it that way, but what a PITA...

New Visitor
BigRedFed

Since this question was never answered.  Try Hulu Plus.

New Visitor

[ Edited ]

[FLAME]The amount of ignorance on this topic is astounding, not to the OP but the people who have replied in response. I have to assume most of these people don't have an Xbox or PS3.

Basically these multimedia gaming systems often have software which allows the use of streaming services such as netflix, hulu, vudu, and HBOGo. The latter so far only on the Xbox.

I too would like to see comcast give us such an app.

rog286713 There's no limitation here for the PS3 hardware, it's a software issue. I can stream to my PC and my Laptop on demand, I can surf the web and watch youtube. The limitation is on Comcast as they have not deigned to design us any sort of application whatsoever that is native to the equipment and will allow us to stream episodes or movies. We're not trying to hook any type of cable up to the machine other than it's network connection if applicable. Please educate yourself. Your one post in reply to the Xbox bit just shows your ignorance on the subject. Also " if you already have comcast its useless, you already get what the xbox is going to give you.   The service is meant for those who do not have comcast service and will be able to sign up for it through the xbox." Makes no sense and is incorrect. That is not the purpose of the Xbox app, it is to allow the veiwing of on demand content THROUGH the xbox, not " for those who do not have comcast service and will be able to sign up for it" as you ASSUME.

JayInAlg "A Comcast box will not do streaming over a home TCP/IP network at this time." This may be true however that is a redundancy I don't need. We have a box in the family room which gets whatever is on live plus on demand. I have my PC here which gets streaming, a laptop for wherever, and PS3 in my room. I don't need a box to stream it, I WANT my PS3 to be able to stream like my PC does with netflix and Xbox will with Xfinity.

"why dont you hook up your laptop to your tv and output the signal to it?"
Because this is a pain in the rear and requires more knowledge and connections than many users are comfortable with. Isn't it much simpler for a user to turn on an already hooked up PS3 and just choose the app and program they want to watch?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Since this thread has turned into a rant and quotes to 6 month old posts are being made, this thread is now locked.